Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

On a semi related note… it would be super handy to be able to enlarge graphics frames beyound the margin too (e.g. for full bleed, or just bigger than the margins.

1 Like

Sounds like Acrobat is scaling the page down. This is often done to fit the page image onto the printer’s “printable area”, to avoid bits getting cut off at the sides.

There should be a setting in the print options to scale to 100%.

About the only thing I’ve craved so far is a way to merge several flows into one. Interpreting an xml sometimes produces errors that a) give up trying with the rest of a part or b) the whole score so partial bits of the original must be created to produce xml chunks which are added in as separate flows to get the piece complete.
It would also help with composition where a discarded piece could be recycled if hacked apart, rejoining the chunks, supplementing them as necessary. As it may start out as a incomplete work, the hope of it being a single flow is unwise.
Just a thought.

1 Like

I regularly print 2 up just as you say: two letter sized pages on one ledger. You can export native PDFs this way, and then, as @benwiggy says, I just override acrobat to force it to print to scale since the margins I’ve set in dorico prevent anything from going into the extreme edges where printing is impossible. It works like a charm.

On my PC, Acrobat only offers the scaling options when you use the “Size” button (i.e. a single page.)

When you click the “Multiple” button, there are no scaling options.

I have started a different topic for this because it really isn’t a Dorico wish list item, although it would be nice to print 2-up directly from Dorico without the PDF problems.

This just shows, that Acrobat Reader is not a suitable application for these purposes. I have a similar issue with Acrobat Reader. It robs me of having my printer use the doublesided option.
I switch to Preview (on Mac).

Just be careful… when I updated OS’s a few months ago to Big Sur, for some reason Preview tries to print a bunch of my pdfs as images now. I’m not sure if it’s something to do with my print driver or what… but prior to big sur, preview would print the vector data, and post-update, many of my pdfs come out fuzzy, but if I print them from Acrobat, they are totally crisp. It’s very odd. Just double check you’re getting the results you want prior to printing a large project.

@Romanos Check that the Color Matching settings have ColorSync turned OFF, as I find that can cause dot patterns on solid black!! Grrr.

Screenshot

1 Like

Thanks; I’ll check this out.

PS—I stumbled across your video about the Allegri Miserere the other day. It’s excellent and very interesting! I shared it with some of my choir members.

2 Likes

Thank you Romanus, good to know. For several other reasons I can’t update to Big Sur yet, that’s why I didn’t come across these kind of issues…

This has been asked for before on other threads, but I would very much appreciate it if the clicking area in the Properties Panel could be made larger. Those little blue dots are very hard to aim at with the mouse. If one is not spot on, they just flash. Why cannot we also click on the text to the right of the blue dot, as in other programs?

9 Likes

A timesaver would be that after you’ve input lyrics, you can select everything and in the right click context menu there would be an option to add slurs automatically on every melisma.

I think Sibelius already has a plugin that does that automatically…

2 Likes

Or the other way round: add slurs first, and later, when entering lyrics, the lyrics popover would automatically skip slurred notes. OTOH, it shouldn’t prohibit entering melismas on non-slurred passages. Having a slur on an melisma is not a universal constant.

Speaking of slurs…

I’d love it if the anchoring behavior was tweaked for slurs and ties on stemless notes. Currently they seem to anchor as though stems were still present, which looks odd in many/most cases. I’m the future I’d love it if slurs on stemless notes anchored in the middle of the note head by default.

1 Like

Can’t we already modify attachment points in the Notehead editor? Or does this function do something else (I’ve actually never tried using it)?

I was unaware of this; even so, my FR still stands. I’m also leery to modify generic attachment points for fear that doing so will mess up my regular metered scores.

I should also mention that in some of my scores I have both types of notation.

Wow, I had no idea that existed. And I’ll probably forget about it the next time it might be useful for me… ;-/

I’m not sure if this already exist or not, but adding a gridded texture/background would be fine.

1 Like

Herring bone and paisley too? :slight_smile:

1 Like

All Sibelius versions feature this:

That’s why I suggested a gridded texture.

What’s wrong here???