Multiple grace notes on a percussion staff behave really weirdly?

So I’ve been trying to get a simple grace note figure that appears on many drum scores:

No matter how I enter the notes (including copying and pasting from a treble staff) I end up with them all stacked up like this:

Or this:

If I try and delete some notes they just all stack up again. I’ve looked round the forum and tried some of the suggestions but haven’t had any luck. Sometimes I can get 2 grace notes on different drums but I can’t find a reproducible way of doing it!

Is there a reliable way to do this? In multi-percussion pieces, drum scores, etc etc this is incredibly common notation…

1 Like

Did you see this thread from January? It is one in which I made a contribution.

According to Lillie, the situation is a known limitation in Dorico. The workarounds presented in the thread might (or might not) work for you. The one I eventually got to behave was somewhat unpredictable and took me a while to get the desired result.

Added later:
The original workaround which I described was done using Dorico 3.5.12. I tried it a few minutes ago in Dorico 4.0.31 and I cannot get it to behave the same way, even when opening the original file.

Hi, yes it seems that something’s changed between versions and although I had followed the advice in your thread it doesn’t seem to work anymore.