Multiple Playback templates?

Hi there,

I’d very much like to use “NotePerformer” and “Groove Agent” together in Dorico 5. Is there any way to assign different playback templates tp different tracks?

thx, Al

1 Like

Yah no problem, go to the playback template dialog and make a new one. Dorico parses the list of overrides from the top down, so put higher priority overrides first, it’s this simple (SP Jazz is a GA expansion)

3 Likes

You can create a new instrument for this purpose, to which you can then assign a corresponding endpoint configuration. At present this does not (yet) work with an instrument variant, but e.g. with a copy of an existing instrument.

How do you make an assignment of an endpoint to an instrument? It seems to me that this is only implicit by way of the instrument and the saved endpoint sharing the same name.
I would love to be wrong about this.

You must then update your playback template with the new end point.

Great - I have to learn about ‘endpoint configurations’ but I’ll dig into it. Thanks, AR

1 Like

These screenshots show that the instrument is being assigned to the endpoint, not the endpoint being assigned to the instrument.
The endpoint is only assigned to the instrument implicitly when the playback template is loaded and the first matching endpoint is encountered. This method of matching instruments with endpoints is nice and sophisticated and may have some important real world benefits, but it would be nice to have a way to assign an endpoint, i.e. a VST, expression map, playing technique etc… explicitly to an instrument so that it doesn’t need to be implicitly layered in where things can get messy and unreliable fast.

Good point. It seems that this could be made much simpler. Thx. AR

I shouldn’t be glib about the benefits of the Playback Template architecture. As I see it, it enables these three things: Most importantly, it enables Dorico to have a playback system that just works by mapping every instrument to an HSSE VST sound. And then to let those sounds be overridden by other VSTs if desired.
The second is that a piece of music can be played by entirely different sets of VST instrument sounds without changing anything in the music document file. How useful this is, I don’t know, but it’s not something I have done.
The third thing is that a dorico music document can be sent to someone else and they can, theoretically play the piece on their system with their VST instrument sounds without a problem. While this is laudable, in practice it probably won’t work 100% when instruments outside of Halyon Sonic SE are used.
If there are other use cases, I’d like to hear them.

To summarise in short: Dorico’s endpoint solution offers, at least in my opinion, a clear and simple 1-to-1 assignment between instrument, VST plug-in and X-Map. Through its playback templates, in which an endpoint must be defined at least once, any plugin that is not present in Dorico can be defined with an alternative. Manually, however, any VST and X_Map can always be assigned to each instrument - and the instrument is the top node in Dorico after the player.

Your experience is well beyond mine gentlemen. I’ll send you some screen shots, etc. when I’ve worked on it a bit more. Also, I’m on a Mac. Thx. AR

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread, but just looking for clarity myself.
I do find that if I assign a VST to an instrument manually then I risk blowing it away if I ever apply a different template. I find this disturbing and something to stay away from. And I wish it weren’t so.

Don’t worry, nothing will be destroyed. You should ALWAYS offer a Dorico standard playback template at least at the last position in the template list to ensure that each instrument receives a VST voice. Only if you then overwrite a project by saving it again, something would of course be destroyed :wink:

I recommend the Dorico manual …

1 Like

Yeah the system is super flexible and super forgiving. I find just using it a quick way to learn, create a temp project and mess around.

Okay gents. I’ve made a bit more progress. Here’s where I am and it’s provoked a few more questions.

So I created a new template but I can’t seem to be able to move it to the top of the list, and

on the edit screen, there’s nothing available on the ‘add manual’ dropdown and no GASE (Pro) on its own in the 'automatic dropdown. I could add HSSE+HSO+GASE (Pro) but what’s to stop Dorico from using the NotePerformer drums sounds?

It’s not the templates that get ordered in the list, it’s the endpoints within the template that get ordered. I believe there’s a GASE endpoint you need to add to your template either before or after NP.

1 Like

what he said - this list of Entries

Yeah, I see that. So I guess you would save an endpoint for GASE yourself and then bring it into the template. To do that, create a project using a template containing GASE and then go and save a drum set instrument using GASE as a new endpoint.

In my own case, I’m trying to use EZDrummer 3 as a drum set in Dorico. I follow the same pattern as for GASE but it isn’t working out so well for me. For some reason I get multiple, like 8, copies of the VST in my VST list. Not sure how to proceed on this.

So after many hours… Groove Agent SE which ships with Dorico 5 IS recognized by Doric but it seems that Groove Agent (the one month trial version) is not. I’ve been working with Groove Agent because it has many more sounds than Groove Agent SE. I reloaded SE and I was able to create a new playback template. Hopefully if I were to buy Groove Agent, it would be recognized by Dorico. I’m a bit frustrated with it so I might try EZDrummer instead. Thanks for your input.