MusAnalysis, a new font for RNA and functional symbols

I am following the documentation and it does not work… That is the problem.

Do you have any settings at the operating system level which will automatically replace straight quotes with smart quotes? If you’re on a Mac, there is a setting in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text to use smart quotes and dashes. Try with that on and then off and see if it makes any difference. Windows probably has a similar setting somewhere.

Thanks! I checked it, but it does not fix the problem. The current setting is as follows:

Checking/unchecking the “Use smart quotes and dashes” option has no effect. Dorico seems to automatically change ' to .

Maybe try it with the last option in the drop-down list:

Also, you might like to try changing Automatic by Language to something else.

Thank you very much, but it does not fix the problem. Dorico converts the symbol internally. Hm…

Have you tried typing the characters into a word-processing document, copying them (after checking that they are exactly how you want them) and then pasting them into the popover?

Yes, that appears to be the case when using the Lyrics popover. Is it possible to use Staff Text instead?

1 Like

Oh, that works! Thank you very much!

I have done that. It does not work.
Also, pasting the copied text from the staff text into the lyric popover does not work.
The lyric popover has an automatic conversion feature.

@dan_kreider
Do you have any plans to update the MusAnalysis font for compatibility in the modern Dorico, as the lyric popover of Dorico 4.3.30 automatically converts ' to . The staff text popover retains ', so the MusAnalysis font works as expected in the staff text. However, the MusAnalysis font is most efficient when used in the lyrics popover.

1 Like

I don’t have plans to expand it, I’m sorry. I thought I had addressed this automatic apostrophe issue with an alternative entry for that glyph.

At this point I wouldn’t even know where to begin. It’s two years old, so I’ve forgotten much of what I did. The font is huge and bloated and a bit precarious; one wrong bit of script and whole chunks of it will stop working. I’m afraid to touch it. It is entirely open-source, so anyone is welcome to expand it. I’d be happy to give a few pointers.

Where is the source code repository? What software did you use to create this font?

There’s no code per se. You just load the font into any font software and edit it. I used FontCreator, which I highly recommend. It’s not expensive, and it’s pretty intuitive to use. Here are all the files.

2 Likes

If you get stuck, let me know.

I cannot install FontCreator on my Windows OS running Parallels Desktop on an Apple M1 Max chip. I have opened the font using BirdFont and FontForge. In FontForge I could find the glyphs containing the ' combination, but could not find out how to modify them. I can try again later on an Intel machine.

FontForge is a nightmare to use, IMO. Sorry I can’t help on Mac.

they have a trial version.

Yes! I used FontLab 5 and I did not have such a good impression of it, although it was very competent. I will try it again. Thank you very much!

Hi Dan, may I know what version of FontCreator you used to create all the amazing fonts? Home, Standard, or Professional?

I used Pro, I think. I needed pretty much everything it could do!