MusAnalysis, a new font for RNA and functional symbols

I’m happy to announce MusAnalysis is now available on Notation Central! MusAnalysis is a text font that allows you to type Roman numeral and functional analysis into the score. It uses glyphs from Academico and Bravura and is designed to be legible at small point sizes. It works in Dorico, Finale (for Mac-only at the moment), Sibelius, Musescore… as well as Word, Libre Office, and any program that supports OpenType features (ligatures, kerning, and contextual alternates).

You can type in all the standard Roman numerals:

…as well as a variety of lines and such.

Below is a brief overview video. MusAnalysis is ready for release, but I do plan to continue refining it, so I welcome your feedback. Thanks!

18 Likes

This looks really nice, Dan. I’ve been using Campania as a lyric line for this purpose. Do you think the keystrokes for that font would be compatible with MusAnalysis (or at least minimal surgery to fix any issues)?

Thanks. I think it would likely be extremely similar. I have a lot of respect for Marc’s work, including Campania, but I don’t recall the exact key bindings he used. I am sure there are slight differences.

Oh, and on an unrelated note… I repent of all the times I complained that Dorico didn’t have comprehensive support for OpenType. It’s been the least problematic program to deal with for this sort of thing.

2 Likes

Bravo for your new Musical font.
It looks very great.

nice. instant purchase for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Dan, it seems to work similarly to Campania. However, I’m not able to indicate the key b-flat minor (or b-minor for that matter). In Campania b-flat minor is written as \bb (and b-minor as simply b). I can’t seem to indicate these key signatures with MusAnalysis - unless I’m missing something obvious. It’s unclear in the documentation.

Oops! Quite right, a glaring oversight. Thanks, I’ll add it to the forthcoming update.

b-minor is missing in action as well.

Ah, just remembered: did you try @b for the lowercase b character?

It was a trade-off… I decided flat was more commonly used, so b is a flat and @b is a b.

Thanks! That works.

I love that you added the curved arrow lines and stuff. Really well done.

Dan, you’ve got to be kidding me. OMG! You’re a monster! :astonished:
Just wow.

Sincerely,
Benji

Just a quick update that I’ve added some functionality that makes it easier to align all sorts of voice leading resolutions to notes. These examples were entered using the lyric tool.

This bit will be in the next update:

4 Likes

Awesome!

Before I get to work on it myself: Are you planning to create another “Cheat Sheet” as for MusGlyphs that shows the common character combinations and the resulting ligatures side-by-side?

Thanks a lot
Tim

Yes, definitely. Working on that now.

2 Likes

Just a quick note to say that MusAnalysis has been updated on Notation Central. I’ve added a ton of things (that “.1” is a big number), and there’s comprehensive documentation now.

Please let me know what feedback you have and I’ll continue making improvements (but I promise not to over-post about it!).

7 Likes

This is in fact a huge update, and it’s mind-boggling to see what can be achieved with cleverly designed ligatures. Inspiring! Also, thanks for the documentation!

I managed to use MusAnalysis inputting text with Shift-X and Shift-Alt-X (insert text and system text), but in the examples it seems like the lyrics popover is used instead, which, probably, better positions the text. I tried using the lyrics popover, but I can’t find a way to change the lyrics font to select MusAnalysis instead of the default font. Can someone help me?

Engrave Menu—Font Styles—Lyrics. I plan on making a Dorico-specific video soon, showing how to set up some of these things and accomplish various symbols.

It just occurred to me that I should probably make a blank Dorico template available with the setting changed for those users that don’t have pro…

This may seem like a lame request, but could someone post a blank project file here with all default settings? I’ve changed so many defaults over the years that I think it would be difficult to get back, and I don’t want to lose any of the settings.

Then I’ll make the needed changes and post it back here.

1 Like

Attached.
blanketyblank.dorico (354.6 KB)