MusGlyphs: Bravura for writing in time signatures and other glyphs

It’s probably me, but isn’t the hairpin “dec”?

B.

That works! In my documentation it was listed as “dim” - that is also what I see in notation central. But thanks for clearing that out! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll fix that very soon. And thanks for the support!

@SampoKasurinen I’ve added b14 for 1/4 flat and #14 for 1/4 sharp.

Are there other common microtonal glyphs that should be added? I don’t want to get crazy with them, but I could add the more common ones.

Sounds good to me! I guess any logic works if it’s documented as clearly as everything else!

Thanks for adding those, that is actually a big time saver since these accidentals are very small and offset too low in bravura font - I just spent almost 15 minutes trying to align them to the first page of my score… :slight_smile:

I use these along with the two I mentioned earlier:

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.55.55

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.55.43

I think the standard accidentals with arrows might be something that is used quite often as well. There are six combinations of these, but arrows down are more common (for 7th partial):

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.56.22

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.59.27

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.59.45

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 15.00.04

Isn’t this one more common for quarter-sharp?

Perhaps it is! I remember there was a discussion about that some time ago. I think you are right that that is more common variation of it. But I actually prefer the one that I am using, since it looks more different than regular sharp.

Ok, I added the conventional one as #14, and yours as #14b.

1 Like

Thank you!

Could you please try this version out? I changed yours to #14-.

It works beautifully! I notice you also fixed the rr issue!

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Just purchased MusGlyphs from Notation Central
and the download is version 1.33.
I notice your dropbox version is 1.40. Does that version replace 1.33?

-t

It will, yes. Here’s an updated character map (I changed a few small things). 1.41 will be updated on the site later today. It adds those microtonals.

Sorry the versions are turning over so quickly. I keep finding small errors and making improvements, and it’s easy to get very OCD about it… I promise it’ll slow down soon!

3 Likes

And now we’re at 1.42 at Notation Central, which is the latest for this very moment, right now, in time! Cool stuff, Dan!

To spitball something out there… how hard (I’m guessing very) would it be to produce a version where the ligature sequences all start with a marker charceter, like say an underscore? The point being to enable the use of MusGlyphs in non-text areas where changing the font isn’t possible, like Tempo markings.

Even if it only supports a small subset of the larger font (The one I really need are the noteheads, since Dorico is…opinionated about how one can write metronome marks…)

That’s not a bad idea. Although to be honest, I’m a bit burned out on this font for the time being, and I’m not sure I want to remap all the ligatures! But it certainly could be done. At present, many of the characters are mapped to glyphs: b, c, e, f, h, n, p, r, s, w, and z. They would have to be re-mapped to new ligatures

The only other issue there is that it would have to be the right typeface and weight. It wouldn’t be too hard to customize it, if anyone is interested in taking it and modifying it themselves.

I’ll admit that I know nothing about fonts, but if the ligatures are defined in something like an XML file I could probably whip up some Python.

The most useful “fallback” would probably be to use Academico for the “normal” characters. I bet there are probably licensing issues there, or something.

There’s no issue with licensing, as both Academico and Bravura are published under OFL (and since this font already uses glyphs from both, it’s OFL as well).

Hmm. I can see the use case, but it would definitely change the functionality significantly, and require many more keystrokes. I intended it to function with text, not to be text itself. But again, it can be done.

Just as a data point, I think MusGlyphs is way more valuable to me the way it is now, rather than trying to fully replace a text font as well in some complicated way. Right now it’s beautifully positioned to supplement whatever font I want to use, and quite intuitively. If I need a complicated metronome marking, I can a separate system text object, for example. If it were instead a whole duplicate of Academico (for example), all the text mapping would be more complicated and if I wasn’t using that specific font, it would be a big pain.

I guess that’s a long-winded way of saying: please keep it the way it is! Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like