MusGlyphs: Bravura for writing in time signatures and other glyphs

Brilliant, Dan! Purchased and installed, and already used a number of times.

In early music I need to refer to time signature 3 without a denominator, for example when explaining this in a footnote. Might this be possible?

Marc-André, I’d missed the default kerning tip in Word, so thanks for mentioning.

Hmm, not at the moment. Is this a common thing? I would need to add it as a custom ligature.

3 by itself is fairly common in my experience covering various triple time situations, where C and cut C cover duple time. (C3 as a combination is not common, I’d say.) It’s the 3 that would help me. Dorico allows a Time Sig of 3 by entering 3/2 or 3/1 and turning off the denominator in properties - but as I say, it’s being able to refer to 3 in a footnote that would be useful. Thank you for looking at it!

It is really common in early music. See Heinrich Schütz, SWV 494, at IMSLP (Bärenreiter 1950), right on the first music page.

It appears that the ligature settings (in MS Word) are a property of a text block (like bold, italic etc.) and cannot be activated globally/permanently on a per-font basis. Is this correct?

Right now, I seem to have to reactivate ligatures for each new document, and every time I change paragraph formats. Also, if I activate ligatures for MusGlyphs and change to a different font, then ligatures are activated for that font, as well. Is this just the way it is, or am I overlooking something?

I suppose I could change the “Standard” paragraph format to use ligatures and kerning, but I’m not sure about possible side effects…

Yes, I believe that’s correct. Of course you could always create a template, .dotx.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll add that as a ligature. Thanks.

Did “alteration stacking” make it into production? I’m not able to put b9 and b5 on top of each other, so maybe that feature wasn’t workable? (Too many combinations?)

Also, out of interest: Which software are you using to create fonts?

Generally: Awesome work, thank you very much. It’s no wonder that some people on this forum think that you’re a Steinberg employee. :smiley:

Thanks. Yes, the stacked alterations were just too daunting at present, since there are something like 24 combinations. I need to learn how to use composite glyphs to create them…

I’m using Font Creator. I like it a lot. I find FontForge too difficult, but I didn’t want to spend $600 for one of the high-end ones. This program works great.

1 Like

Only 24?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, I’m thinking specifically of stacked alterations within parentheses. 17 of the ones you posted above are already achievable, or basically so.

Just a quick note to say that MusGlyphs 2.0 is now available for free from Notation Central, and includes comprehensive metric modulations and a bunch of other new things.

8 Likes

Found the problem with the non-working hyphen ligatures—it’s because I was using Compatibility Mode on Word. As you write in the notes to v2.0, we need to use .docx. Works like a charm now. Well done again and thanks!

1 Like

Congratulations and thanks, Dan, this is awesome!

One day, we won’t need Dorico any more, just a well-designed font, so we can finally write music in MS Word. This is the way :smiley:

(By the way, I just bought FontCreator so I can understand better how all of this works. Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the tip.)

2 Likes

Thanks Dan! This will be most useful . It is well worth the suggested donation and then some.

Chris

1 Like

Hi Dan
in the metric modulations
is this possible: 3 eight triplets with the two first tied ?

Thanks
Claude

Not presently, but it wouldn’t be hard to accomplish. Though I don’t think I’ve ever seen it written that way.

I use it this way since a very long time with my guitar students. I kind of feel its better for their music
theory clumsyness

Hi Dan:

Is there a way to get Zarabanda’s beat in 6/8?

ee.s makes the 16th note appear unbarred.

2021-05-15_12-04-14

Hi Alvaro, not presently. Each glyph has to be drawn individually, so there are a finite number of possible combinations.

Can you advise how common this figure is? I’m willing to make updates to MusGlyphs but want to focus on common uses.