Muted notehead

Is there a way to specify a rythmic notehead to be muted by default?
When I input notes on basic leadsheets I often use “x” notehead to specify that pitch isn’t considered. Many times the result is a heavy mix of different noteheads (standards and “rythmic”) and I’m looking for a way to use a single shortcut that would select a silent notehead. On the same subject, I didn’t find a way to change notehead by keycommand.
I use french edition so I may just overlooked somehow…

There is no way to specify that a specific notehead type should be muted by default.

It is also not possible to change notehead types using key commands at the moment, but I have been toying with the idea of adding a popover to do this.

kx3kx3 - if you are trying to mute certain notes, System or Staves, the Mixer allows you a fair amount of control to do the equivalent of indicating which notes to silence during playback in Sibelius.

Indeed, but I’m more on a microscopic approach: in 4 bars I might want 8 muted notes and 12 sounding for a single staff.

Right - understood and agreed.

Until selective muting is implemented (and I believe it has been mentioned), have you thought about moving the notes that you want to have silent up or down, say, three octaves (!) so that they fall way outside their range?

Not elegant, but only four keypresses: select-the-note(s) > Option+Cmnd + Up/Down arrow three times!

Selective muting would be useful in Play mode, as in Cubase.

Typical case is when I don’t want a specific guitar voicing guitar, for example, but there are some intricate melodic lines and “ghost” note for rythmic patterns inserted between. Jumps would be visually disturbing for the instrumentist in that context.

Right now, a notehead popover sounds great to me, but I suspect that after there’s real support for artificial harmonics, I’d no longer use it.

I mostly need to change notepads in batches - will a popover cope with this? At the moment, the popovers are for additions rather than changes.
What would be useful is for playback to be able to pick up notepads, with (for example) maybe ‘playing crossheads’ and ‘non-playing crossheads’.

That’s exactly what I’d like to use, but you’re right about the popover functionality

‘noteheads’…this forum’s spell-checker is vicious.

Necroing this thread to save cluttering the forum…

I have a situation right now where I’m testing various version of a violin section melody against an orchestral accompaniment and have temporarily pasted the the other versions of said melody into surrounding empty instrument staves. In Sibelius I’d simply mute these by turning off the 1st time playback option on the selected notes in the properties panel, it would be great to have some sort of similar option in Dorico… maybe a popover that you can type “mute” or “unmute” into to get the same effect on the selected passage.

I can of course work around it by using ctrl+click to only playback selected staves or by moving the temporary melody versions into an unplayable octave but it’s not the most elegant solution. Anyway just throwing the suggestion out there on the off chance that one of the Dorico team sees this or perhaps you guys have already considered this, for me it would be incredibly useful…

Provided you have only notes selected, you should be able to use the ‘Muted’ property in the Common group in Properties to achieve this. Alternatively you can set Mixer solo state based on the selection – that uses the shortcut Alt+S.

Daniel, is there a way to indicate later if a note has been muted in the common box in properties? After it’s been muted it’s impossible to know which notes you have muted.

I put shift-x text ‘muted’ every time I mute. It would be great for this to be obvious from the noteheads with a colour change or size change etc. It would also be better if copy/pasting a muted passage auto-unmuted it.

I don’t agree that copying and pasting music should automatically unset the ‘Muted’ property if it’s set. In general we don’t interfere with the properties on items when copying and pasting them.

There is no way to tell notes apart that have the muted property set, but perhaps at some point we could add a View option that would do this. I’ll add it to the famous backlog.

If it was more obvious that they were muted it wouldn’t catch me out after copy/paste. I see what you mean about properties - slippery slope…

Perhaps muted notes could appear grey and there could be an option to show muted notes just like notes out of range. Regarding the slippery slope thing, I agree. I can see, for instance, doing an arrangement where you put special cue-sized notes into a part and say “play if XXX not present”. That does not necessarily mean playing the XXX part; but some other complementary notes, more appropriate to the instrument filling the gap (if it’s a texture thing, like harp picking up an altered version of the piano part or vice versa) and this could be distinct from a cue. You could mute these notes since they aren’t the actual arrangement but an alteration of it for emergencies. If you decided to copy them to a second instrument, I’d sure hate for those notes intended to only be played if there is a deficiency of players, to suddenly play back just because they were copied and pasted. Hopefully this makes sense.

I find that once I mute a note, say on the high conga, that even if I select “mute off” for the next note, every note after that on that staff line stays muted forever. Also, next time it plays, it sets the notes before that muted note to be muted! Seems like a bug.

So, I found a cool workaround for this. I have two Conga High on the same line. One of them I assign to be an x notehead. This one I assign to be “muted” in the playing techniques panel, under common. No need to ever unmute! Music looks right, all on correct staff! However, I still think that “mute off” should work.