my friend & Logic X

True, It’s confusing that Apple don’t have different names for the OS X and iOS app stores.

It takes me two (may be three) minutes since Cubase 5.

So, you easily dare take your Macbook (or whatever) on the road and you don’t care about thieves and hurricanes… but in case of dongle… Is your Macbook cheaper than Cubase? Perhaps, you think, that thieves will not touch your notebook and steal the dongle only. Or maybe Apple will give new Macbook for free? :unamused:

That’s rubbish: If you have registered Your Steiny software in your MySteinberg-Account you only have to buy a new dongle.

I can live with the dongle if there is no other alternative but PLEASE … make one that is small. The current dongle size does not work well with new devices like the Microsoft Surface Pro

On the other hand, the Microsoft Surface Pro, as neat as it is (and it’s probably the best mobile device for anyone who needs lightweight but serious computing power on the go), is far from the ideal platform for Cubase. 1920x1080 on a 10" screen means that you’ll have to wear an Optivisor to see anything. That’s the visor with built-in magnifiers jewelers use.

A 13" surface pro with a stylus would be a very productive tool. I could see using the stylus to draw automation curves or modifying velocities in the drum editor / piano roll. Also , 8.1 will have extended DPI settings to improve the high resolution desktop on 10" screen. I like what I have seen with Logic Pro X, especially the advanced features of the virtual drummer, but the limited H/W choices, no VST3 support, no easy way to move between Logic and Cubase will keep me from parting with $200.

Maybe I’m nuts… but is there any major software not made by Apple being sold in the Apple Store? Just asking.

Why would Steinberg or any other DAW company give their direct competitor 30% of their gross sales? it makes no sense at all. If a company wanted to trim their physical distribution costs they could do that, shut it all down, and only ever sell their products from their own web store.

IMHO there is one thing Logic X does much better:

A diff of $300.00, if buying for personal use.

If buying as a business expense the point is moot.
In that scenario the price gets ‘written off’ anyway.

That being said; I don’t care.

I seem to prefer to use the more expensive
DAW (Cubase)
$500.00
on the the more expensive hardware platform (Mac)
$3000.00
using the cheapest major OS (OSX)
$19.00

There has got to be something wrong with this pic. (or me) :slight_smile:

But even tho’ because of the price I now own Logic, I am not changing DAWs.

I’ll wait till the Plogue Bidule folks (or some one else)
comes out with some sort of AU—>VST ‘wrapper’
so I can use some of Logic’s sounds in C7.

To an extent this for me would be the best of both worlds.

{‘-’}

Price is not everything. Or else everybody would be using Reaper. :laughing:

I was in the same kind of situation to be honest, I bought Cubase 7 directly once it was released, was amazed how good it was. Then Logic Pro X suddenly pops up, and oh boy, have I waited a life time?

So I jumped on that and bought that too. And to be honest - I’m MORE than dissapointed with Logic Pro X. If you compare Cubase 7 to it, it’s just dull, booring, the mixer looks nice but it’s waaay too big, you have to scroll alot up and down just to see the inserted plugins and such. It’s really a SLOWDOWN in workflow, compared to LP9 which actually had a really awsome mixer (if you ask me), the mixer was probably what I loved the most about Logic Pro 9. It was sooo slick, everything fitted good, the routing was easy, you had everything in a very little scaled window that poped up. Yeah, you get the point. It was amazing.

Now, it’s huge, clumzy, the moved alot of stuff so u can’t see it etc etc.

Workflow-wise, Cubase 7 is miles ahead - to take a few examples: CMD+D for duplicate regions (CMD+R in Logic, but here u have to type in how many times you want to copy it, personally I really prefer CMD+D for spamming instead of having to think about how many times I want to copy it and press enter, as in Logic).

Plugin-search-database - wooow, this thing is HUGE. Seriously, what other daw has that easy accessability to plugins? I mean, just type in “syl” and press enter, to get sylenth1 to pop up. Easy as that. Best thing Steinberg ever invented into Cubase, IMO.

Automation - not going to get into detail about this. But simply - Cubase has awsome automation that is pretty accurate compared to most DAWs. Logic’s automation is a pain in the ass, it really is. It isn’t accurate at all (and yes I’m a long term user of Logic so I know how to use it very well - in fact I’ve been using it for years more than Cubase). The automation is simply awful, try it out and compare and you’ll see what I mean.

New colors in Logic Pro X - is this a joke? the colors look like Toys R Us, they’re too bright and you can’t even see what the hell is a loop region or not. There’s no separation and it looks so ugly in that dark grey background.

Even in Logic text is an issue - jeeeesus christ, they went in Steinbergs shoes and actually made the text huge on the tracks aswell. Here’s what I mean:

Why does all new updates of DAWs do this? I mean, come on, it cant be due to 4k or whatever it was? it looks so damn ugly and is only for trouble for people that are working hard to get their stuff done. WHY? stupidest thing ever.

I could go on about this. But believe me, when it comes to workflow and just overall design madness - cubase is miles away. Your choice, but you’ll miss it for sure.

Yeah, those so-called diehard Apple fans can kiss my ass. I can’t understand such a close-minded attitude from people. But maybe it’s because Windows is more utilized than Mac. Basically it’s the same thing even with music or whatever; the most popular is always bashed.

So go on using the Mac. No complaints about that one but please leave the commenting and bashing of Windows behind. You folks should be happy to have a perfect operating system so why the hell are you teasing us Windows users?

After all the digression, to address your issue.

Having the same DAW is not enough for hassle-free interchange of project files. You have to have identical:
a) audio interface connections
b) loaded plugins
c) whatever else the project file references.

Basically, very slim chance unless you are identical twins joined at the brain from birth!

The safest interchange is fully-rendered audio files that start at the project start. They can just be dropped in as is at 0:0 or bar 1, without compatibility problems or errors.

Do not try to convince them to change as they like the workflow they already have, and they have already given you feedback about your choice.