Native modulation sources & assignable macros

Hi.

Can we please have some method for modulating any parameter in a project or its VST plugins (including 3rd party) added in the next version of Cubase?

It seems like it really wouldn’t be too hard to implement & has been requested frequently over the years, not just by myself, but by many electronic music oriented musicians.

What we need are user shapable LFOs & tempo syncable envelopes, that can be assigned to modulate any parameter in a project that can be automated. The MIDI inserts are dated beyond belief & are reliant on plugins having MIDI inputs to be able to utilise them.

Can we please also have the quick controls updated to act like assignable macros within modern synths, so that they can be assigned to multiple parameters within a project, with the ability to set different mod depth for each parameter assigned.

These have been requested frequently as far as i can tell, going back to at least Cubase 8, perhaps even further back than that. In order for Cubase to even attempt to compete with the likes of Bitwig & Ableton, from an electronic producer’s standpoint, these features should be deemed essential. If they arent included by Cubase 12, i will be looking elsewhere for software that meets my needs

yeah it can push creativity higher! this feature is great for tweaking and playing in bitwig and ableton. waiting it in cubase/nuendo!

You could use voltage Modular as a VST host inside Cubase and then you can modulate your vsts with LFOs or whatever else you like.

Yes there is few workaround, CC from Melda is great to.
Have the possibility to insert them directly to midi insert would be nice too.

But with midi modulation work flow and “instantaneous” visibility it’s would be much easier to have dedicated midi macro features inside Cubase/Nuendo.

I think I have just decided to press the button on Bitwig Studio 4.1 when they have a Black Friday / Holiday sale coming up. Will likely still use Cubase for mixing & sequencing, at least until I get more comfortable with the new DAW, but sadly Cubase has been left miles behind the curve here in 2021 & is just not a suitable environment for sound design & modulating complex FX chains, compared to more modern DAWs like Bitwig & Ableton.

I have zero faith that Steinberg will be implementing the much requested features from electronic producers such as multiband channel crossovers, a flexible modulation system, or even updating the QCs to be multi assignable macros, but these are the essential updates necessary to compete with Bitwig & Ableton from an electronic producer / sound designer’s perspective. No doubt they’ll throw some more useless loops & lack lustre FX at us & expect that to suffice… AGAIN.

+1
im not an electronic music guy (usually), but i think all styles of music creation will benefit from Native modulation and macros.
just watch some Bitwig videos briefly and it really looks very advanced even with midi and their new midi Note fx (wow really impressive) . time for cubase to join and also add new midi in general and midi plugin capabilities.

You should follow up on your threat to “look elsewhere for software that meets my needs.” If you so desperately want the features of Ableton or Bitwig, then I suggest you use either or both of those programs. Cubase is a program for serious songwriters and composers and not EDM producers.

Already have. Steinberg’s loss. I wont ever be paying for further updates to the full lineup of Steinberg software I own. At some point in the near future I will likely sell my licenses for Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Spectralayers Pro, Halion 6, Grooveagent 5 & all content packs I have purchased. I’d keep the virtual instruments, but considering they are the only plugins I own that consistently crash in Bitwig, maybe its time to ditch Steinberg completely. So not only is that lost update opportunities, they will be losing new sales for each of these apps when i sell my licenses too.

“Cubase is a program for serious songwriters and composers and not EDM producers”

Tell that to everyone who made it a success producing old school rave & jungle tracks using Cubase on STs & Amigas. It was an electronic production platform years before it was adopted by “serious composers” (who lets face it: generally play bog standard virtual instrument presets in their productions versus electronic producers who actually use these instruments to design their own sounds from scratch)

Steinberg losing sight of who made them a success is the problem here, not "Cubase being a platform for serious… like SUPER CERIAL “composers”

I used to know a TON of producer friends who used Cubase. Now i know like 1 or 2. Literally everyone else I know has jumped ship since it has fallen so far behind Ableton, Bitwig etc for what we need in our workflow.

Enjoy your precious new licensing system. Personally I’m more interested in my DAW’s core functionality closer resembling other software released after the year 2000, than crying about a dongle.

Please continue here: