New Forum!

@DanMcL I can merge @DanMcL into @DanMcL, which will remove your old account and move all of the posts to the new one. Please let me know if you want me to proceed.

@dspreadbury Is there a way to “mark all topics read” as in the old forum?

this is covered when you logged on

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/welcome-to-steinberg-discourse/7

scroll to the bottom

2 Likes

No, Discourse doesn’t work in that way. The team who build Discord don’t believe this is a useful feature for their forum to have. Instead, you will find a New button at the top of each category when you visit it, which will show you threads that have new activity since your last visit, and the red “last visited” line performs a similar function.

2 Likes

Thank you! Trying to find my way around this forum. Looks great so far! :+1:

1 Like

Go for it, I wrote too many grand missives that need to be preserved for posterity to lose :grin:

By the way I got a 429 while doing this post, then the forum went belly up and I couldn’t access it. Later I clicked on a link from my email (I’m getting pester emails I need to turn off) which brought me back. The forum was complaining about too many requests from this IP address.

Thanks Ben, Daniel, and team for your hard work transitioning to this new format.

3 Likes

That’s now done. Your one and only user is @DanMcL.

2 Likes

I really can’t take any of the credit. @Ben_at_Steinberg, @Ed_Doll and a few others (including people over at Discourse) worked very hard on this move, and I’m delighted with how smooth it’s been!

4 Likes

@Ben_at_Steinberg and @Ed_Doll (and others), thanks so much for your hard work in this migration, and for keeping the downtime quite so brief.

5 Likes

Yes. Thank you to all involved for making the migration so smooth.

Jesus what a crap! So much wast of real estate. This is the 4 gen forum and definitely the worst ever! This it not made for pros, this is software made for sitting and scrolling.

Idiots!

1 Like

@cubace, while we welcome your feedback, please try to keep the discussion civil. There’s no need to resort to hurling insults indiscriminately.

3 Likes

This is internet. People does not understand when they are insulted. You need to make thinks very CLEAR.

Is there a map of what different “symbols/graphics” mean in Discourse? I miss the one-click access that takes one to unread posts within a thread. I am guessing Discourse has some way for users to distinguish between individually read and unread messages, but I am too much a noobe with Discourse to know where to look.

Many thanks to you and Ben, et al. for making this transition as smooth as it has been.

A thread with new activity will show a circled number after the topic title, and when you go back into that thread, the view will automatically scroll to the first unread post in the thread.

1 Like

My bookmarks did not make it over from the old forums. Is it just me, or is that not going to happen?

The new forum is running very fast on my 2017 iPad Pro.

But IMO there’s too much white space, requiring more scrolling.

What kind of bookmarks were you expecting to make it across, @bobk? Did you have specific threads bookmarked in your browser? You should find that those bookmarks automatically redirect to the corresponding thread on the new forum.

I don’t see a way to mark messages as Read

don’t think there is