New Steinberg synth: Padshop!

“We” have always had the option of not buying them. Do you trust yourself from doing it again?

There are lots of alternatives out there. Not as cool and they’re not brand new tools, with NE support, etc.

I can confirm that various German websites speak of 49,99 €.

Is it possible to feed this thing with own sample material?

I must admit that since YAMAHA took over,things are getting better.
And the price is fair

Looks like a thirdparty developer?! I mean why not the (fantastic, and I mean that) Blue/black/grey Cubase look?

You should speak for yourself in cases like this (like YOU got burned or YOU can’t trust them). I haven’t seen a “burn” that wasn’t plausibly explained by third party developers or the usual end of product cycle. Can you clarify and show examples of another software manufactirer that’s been in business 30 years and has every product ever introduced still in production? Also ,please show a list proving that “most of them get abandoned” statement you made.

I want to know too. I REALLY hope so. :slight_smile:

I don’t agree that most of them get abandoned, I still have a lot of trust in their products…But…

There is this Virtual bassist :frowning: . I bought that, and after a few months they dropped it. Where Steinberg made a statement that they would offer a crossgrade when the next level Virtual bassist would be introduced.
I don’t need it anymore though, but it’s bin years since that statement. As I remember the developer was bought by Pro-tools back then.

Greetz Dylan.

No: it is developed by the same people crafting Halion 4/Sonic. I.e. you can see Matthias Klag in the promo video and you can also find his name on the about screen of Halion listed as developer. They are permanent employees of Steinberg.

+1

+1 from me as well.

I know they are the same :unamused: , I said: ‘Looks like a thirdparty developer?!’
Like this one:

http://www.robpapen.com/albino-3.html

It’s the first time Steinberg comes up with a lowbudget Instrument, I mean after
Virtual Guitarist, Virtual Bassist, Groove Agent, The Grand…Well the Halion products.
Now the new Neve Plug ins.

Padshop is an intirely different sort of product. The way I see it is that for that money don’t expect a real good sounding instrument. More down the line like Embracer, Prologue , Spector etc.
Which are (especially Prologue, my goto synth) fine, but not exceptional.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Cubase 7 or 8 comes bundled with this one.

Greetz Dylan.

A short & smart analysis, Dylan. I am with you :slight_smile: .

We all know that many of Steinberg’s VSTi’s don’t exist anymore (or at least aren’t supported)…
Virtual Bassist
Virtual Guitarist 2
Hypersonic 1 & 2
Groove Agent 1 & 2
HALion 1 & 2
HALion Player
The Grand 1 & 2
Waldorf Attack
D´Cota
Model-E
Waldorf PPG Wave
HALion String Edition 1 & 2
LM 4 MK II
Virtual Guitarist
Virtual Instrument Collection
Virtual Guitarist EE
X-Phraze

In all fairness, the Grand , Hypersonic,Groove Agent They evolved to other versions, with fair upgrade prices.
You should skip those (and the likes of them) of that list.

otherwise I agree.

All I care for is the sequencer & acceptable fx. Compared to other developers Steinberg’s instruments rather belong into the Toys ‘R’ us section.

Model-E is freely available as vintage plugin as well, including 64-bit support.

[quote=“Sir Dancelot”]In all fairness, the Grand , Hypersonic,Groove Agent They evolved to other versions, with fair upgrade prices.
You should skip those (and the likes of them) of that list.[/quote
am

…and the rest of the list (Virtual Guitarist etc, Hypersonic, Xphraze ) were developed with Wizoo which Avid purchased and then pulled the plug. So this comes down to just a few such as Model E which ran its course and was replaced by better synths.

Padshop may well be the most inspiring synth to come from Steinberg for a long long time. The demo’s sound great, it looks great which is important in that it invites you to want to start tweaking and playing with it. (the skin/UI is reminiscent of the newly re-released Model E) The suggested the price is great, quality reasonable priced plugins are long overdue and thin on the ground, especially as plugins and apps for iPads/iphones are on the market for pennies these days.

Steinbergs stock synths are just so bland in every way, they look horrendous, cold unwelcoming slabs of grey that just take up huge chunks of screen real estate that are just not inviting and the majority of the factory presets are just as bland imo, even as stepping stone/starting points for exploration.

Maybe Steinberg should reskin all the stock synths and plugins with this new look UI - it may inspire and encourage users to actually stat playing with them, they do have potential but they are just so ugly and unappealing it’s unreal and so easy to see why third party plugins are such a breath od fresh air and so popular.

it’s suprising there’sno pre-order facilty or campaign to gauge the demand, Steinberg could well be quite suprised as to how popular this product is going to be…

Just announced on KVR AUDIO:

€49.99/£42.34 is confirmed it seems. Sounds very reasonable.

Personally, I like the GUI. Will have to wait until it’s on my PC screen to see what it really looks like, but I honestly like it. That kind of GUI, along with HALion 4’s GUI are very easy on the eye and makes you want to learn and make music.
Other Cubase VSTi’s have the opposite effect sadly - really “square” blue…grey… and cold to use like some freebie VST from some obscure developper in the back of beyond.

I really hope Cubase 7, gets the GUI thing sorted with it’s VST’s (instruments and effects), as they do not compare well, visually, with Sonar for example. (Or even Logic from a few years ago it has to be said.)

Looking forward to PADSHOP though…cool stuff.

Neil.

Couldn’t agree more with you Niel.

It was suprising when C6 was released with such a better, streamlined look and feel, that they didn’t drop the ugly grey brick look on all the plugins and stock synths.

As mentioned, the re-relase Model-E really looks sleek and sexy as does Padshop, Halion/Sonic

Surely it wouldn’t take to much effort to re-skin the existing plugins and synths to the same level of such a pleasing look and feel, earlier releases looked much smarter and intuitive, thogh sometimes looks can be deceptive…

Such a facelift on said plugins shouldn’t be held back for a Cubase 7 which should pay more attention to technical advances and inovation rather than cosmetics. Is it to much to ask Steinberg to get them updated now and include them in a soon to come/next maintainence release maybe - rather than hold such a makeover until the next major Namm or Musik Messe…?

Roll on the end of the month, really looking forward to it !