New Steinberg synth: Padshop!

Word!!

I am not sure that a simple statement like so, is all that fair to be honest. As “real good sounding” is subjective to ears, what is sought, how it fits, etc.

Padshop is rather “limited”, in the sense of the type of synthesis one can use, which in of itself is likely to be an excellent complement to other synthesis methods already available in other instruments. Listening to the demos for PS, I see no reason why not to expect a real good sounding instrument.

I mean, after all, the instrument won’t make its own sounds, nor mix it, etc. Now, in terms of the available functions of a synthesizer, it may be limited in terms of “plain” filters, oscillators, modulators, etc. but that is probably more to keep them simple, use less resources, and to be able to sell more advanced ones separately.

However, these differences are generally what gives a particular machine “the edge” over the competition… having used many old hardware synths, I tend to differentiate them, not so much by “good sounding”, but what they fit for. A lot of them oldies are actually not that “good sounding” (though a number of them are still VERY competetive), but they still have things that makes them “them”, like filters, oscillators, modulators, etc. They often have and especially forms of irregularities, which makes them very unique.

I would be interested in knowing the relative CPU impact of Padshop. :slight_smile:

I am positively excited about PS, as it is a relatively unavailable concept (in terms of the synthesis), and might be a trigger of a new set of software synthesizers. It seems Steinberg is keeping the trend of breaking ground with this new synthesizer, in terms of ease and availability. (I know of course that they didn’t invent granular synthesis.)

Waldorf, for example, and for many, has been the king of wavetables, even though it was invented long before “Waldorf”, so to speak. (By Wolfgang Palm, by the way, which with Steinberg made the PLEX synthesizer!) :smiley:

At first glance, the GUI looks like Sampletank. In a bad way. :unamused:

SampleTank had an obnoxious red background display, as I remember, whereas Padshop uses a matt orange to highlight keywords and display waveforms waveforms (i.e. the entire background is not red). Actually, the displays remind me of the instrumentation in a BMW I drove a while back.

It’s just been confirmed in the VST forum that Padshop will NOT allow importing custom samples.

I do not know this, of course :slight_smile:, but it appears it’s a ROMpler (in terms of “the oscillators”, i.e. samples).

There you go…

Otherwise, VERY interesting, it is implied (i.e. not explicitly stated) that it’s available only as VST3. It seems that maybe Steinberg is ready to really showcase the true potential of Note Expression, since its modulation matrix fully supports NE modulation assignments. This means modulating synthesizer engine parameters per individual notes, and when those notes are moved, they will always operate the same. Excellent! :smiley:

HALion instruments already does this, but with direct access to parameters in a granular synthesis engine, it’s like programming such an instrument, but using dials, sliders, buttons and automation, or whatever else you may have at your disposal!!!

E.g. QC dials on the CC121, if you have one, but it should work with any MIDI device.

That’s a pity!

Is there anyone out here using the Alchemy synthesizer (incl. the possibility to feed the machine with your own samples) ? I’d say this is a serious competitor to Padshop.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to some fresh reviews by the first proud Padshoppers.

I am not sure that a simple statement like so, is all that fair to be honest

You are not shure? Well I am damn shure.

This instrument didn’t undergo the R&D like in Hi-end (loose term for sophisticated VST’s) instruments, isn’t equipped with the best interface, doesn’t take all the advantages of routing, import, full controll over parameters.
If it was, it would be way over 50 dollars, and that is a fact.
If it wasn’t then it would be all over the place. It would be introduced as a plain give away. And because it isn’t, we can assume that it’s pretty much worth 50 dollars, meaning not a great sounding Plug in.
I tried and purchased enough software to know that for 50 dollars you ain’t get the real deal.

Now this is all in the light of technology. That doesn’t rule out that this instrument can be used to make great sounding music. I am all for low budget. Hence my between brackets statement that Pro-logue is my goto synth.

Good for you, mate!

Personally, I just like to keep an open mind.

Thank you Bane
Some hardware too ,like Houston controller or Midex (64bit drivers were released after years of asking for them-i had already sold mine).
I never claimed that every old plugin should be supported.But most of them vanished,didn’t they?
Nevertheless i am a long long time Cubase user and i am grateful for the tools they provide me.(you can see it in my signature)

Alchemy is not a granular machine, it is based on an additive engine however with some bits added on.

I own it, but ended up using it less than I thought I would, the interface and some options are very sample oriented and I was hoping for something more like additive macros, i.e. less sample manipulation and more synthesis, but there you go…

I find it sometimes a bit difficult to understand why there are all these sample processing synths out there but finding a synth that offers something as simple as true AM of oscillators is impossible …

The Padshop looks very promising even though it will be another tool rather than a panacea.

Thanks! I see your point!
I’m not sure yet, if I should purchase an Alchemy synth for I might achieve similar audio effects with e.g. NI’s The Finger, though a sample based method is right to my taste since most of the stuff I do is based on sampled material.
And yes, you’re right, granular synthesis is just one aspect of Alchemy.

Cheers!

You could always download the demo? 4 weeks version :slight_smile:

Greetz Dylan.

Oh, so I just noticed this was moved to the Padshop forum! When did this come about?! It would be nice if we could load our own content onto it. Oh well. Maybe that could be corrected in a future update. Come quickly February 29 is all I have to say!!

Thanks!

In the meantime here’s some distraction for the feverishly waiting padshop boys (and girls)…

According to this it’s in the forthcoming Cubase 6.5 (free??)

If it’s free, sweet…saves me $50.

Sometimes it pays to get the more expensive options right out of the gate…

:smiley:

another not too dissimilar products are Cube and Tera from Virsyn, slightly deeper than alchemy and the re-synthesis engine on Cube in particular is good, demos can be had from:

And yet another one, not entirely dissimilar to Cube, is Poseidon, also by VirSyn.

Entirely off the subject, but related to VirSyn, check out their 64-bit, VST3 effects line. :slight_smile:

Well, well, well.
I come home tonight and I get two presents. Not only has Cubase been updated to v6.5, but it also includes Padshop. that we’ve been discussing…plus a new synth Retrologue. Great stuff.