New unsupported Midex 3/8 drivers available

Thanks, I will try this and post back if it works.

Iā€™ve tried all of the legacy drivers and canā€™t get any of them to work on 32 win7. Is there a trick to installing these? My pc just says remove USB connection then restart and reconnectā€¦but it just wonā€™t load the driverā€¦

Why i am so annoyed is that when I saw the new drivers available for the Midex 8 they are clearly marked as 32/64 bit but itā€™s now clear they are 64 bit only.Have now moved to a new pc and found that not only my main midi interface doesnā€™t work but that my wave lab 5 is useless too as the upgrade path has gone.

Have also found out that basically if you try and run say ezdrummer,and the Grand,you wonā€™t be able to run Halion Sonic using a 32 bit system with 4 gig.There isnā€™t enough memoryā€¦its like chasing a rainbow, and a very expensive one at that.

4 gig is enough to have benefit from a 64 bit system cause now cubase can use the full 4gb instead of just 2gb. Even when using 32 bit cubase on a 64 OS. (I run cubase 4 on XP64 LOL I know not an obvious choice but working great for me, with a midex3 ) BTW only use the latest 32 bit midex driver!

As was mentioned earlier, Iā€™m trying to find drivers for my midex 3 to work with windows 7 (32 bit). I too downloaded the new driver and it clearly stated 32bit/64bit. However, when I tried it, it would say ā€œnot compatibleā€. I also tried the legacy drivers (32 bit), but no luck. Before I spend money on a midi time piece, I rather have my midex up and running. If anyone had any luck getting midex 3 to run in windows 7 (32 bit) please let me know.

Yeah me too! I did try the older drivers listed for the Midex 8 and got one or 2 ports going then,the device lost the drivers again and I cant seem to repeat what I had before.I agree they are listed as 32/64 but are clearly not as listed.Is there not a generic driver anywhere that would do?

Not that I know of. This was my only hope. I actually purchased a motu but if I was able to activate the midex, I would take the motu back. However, it doesnā€™t seem like I will be returning the motu. I hope this does not happen to other Steinberg hardware in the future.

I suppose it begs the question as to why go to the trouble of only producing a Win 7 64 bit driver? I could consider a re- install of win 7 as 64 bit but I just got a new Rain PC which has been set up at the factory so donā€™t know if I can duplicate the settingsā€¦but would be cheaper than having to buy a new midi interface. Steinberg should label the thing properly at the very least.

I do agree. Although, I did not think about doing a re-install. Maybe I could give it a shot as my last resort (if there are no risks or complications regarding other software).

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the Midex still works in standalone mode even when the ports arent available in Cubase.On my Saffire audio interface there is one (!!) midi port which I can then patch into the Midex which then distributes to the devices - not perfect as everything goes down the one pipe so to speak but until I get an alternative,it works.Bit of a pain to have to then set each device to separate channels etc mind.

This teaches me one important lesson - keep checking the forum. I found out about the Win 7 64-bit drivers two days after I took delivery of 3 MOTUs to replace my Midexs. Now the dilemma - to keep the Midexs and sell the MOTUs (still sealed in box) or to sell the Midexs and keep the MOTUs. Alternatively, I could use all six units.

Does anyone know if Midexs and MOTUs play nicely together? Would there be potential for driver conflicts?

A big thank you to Steinberg for making the drivers available. Does this also now mean the driver can be updated for future OS architectures?

Interesting question! Iā€™m guessing as long as the drivers install correctly you should be ok as its simply a case of selecting the ports via Cubase.The Midexs are great little units no mistake.Iā€™m stuck with a different situation which is the new drivers are not for 32bit Win 7 (why I donā€™t know,but there you go) have a brand new PC formatted with Win 7 32 bit so my midex wont work.At the time the Stienberg webite said 32/64 bit drivers which wasnt true.
Do I just get a new midi interface or change my os to 64 bit to get the midex back on line? Cost is about the same one way or another.But are the Midexs going to have much of a shelf life leftā€¦will Steinberg release a 32 bit driver??? mmmmm. If one of those Motus are going for a nice price let me know!!

I would definitely go 64 bit, not for the midex alone but for the extra ram access.
Still I have read reports on the old driver working on win 7 32 bit when win 7 came out. Running XP64 here and a non music Win7 64 laptop so canĀ“t help with that(I would if I could).

One of the main reason Iā€™m still on XP 32-bit is because of the driver. But itā€™s time to move to Win 7 and 64-bit is the most logical way to go - more RAM access.

After some thought overnight, Iā€™ve decided to replace the Midexs with the MOTUs because I suspect that Win 7 64-bit will be the last driver build (but I could be wrong). As DAWs become more resource intensive I have this vision of 64-bit systems being the minimum requirement in the future. Over the years it seems that there has been a move away from midi in favor of using samples and devices like the Midex are becoming redundant.

So the upshot is that my Midexs will be up on eBay as soon as I swap them over. I might keep one of them as a backup.

exactly the reason i stayed on xp myself and yes the win 7 64 is the way to go , the midex is working flawlessly here on 64 bit but the thing i find hard to take in is what you say about them becoming redundant ?
as long as there is a midi keyboard or a collector requiring to connect to a daw then they are going to be required .
i think you right in stashing one away for the future , you never know when you might want to pull out all that old midi gear ! :wink:
it comes down to weather your a gear junky or a born again plugin user ā€¦ i for sure will always keep a midex now as you never know when steinberg will surprise you with one of these little peaches !

can we have a 128 driver release please just incase :wink: :laughing:

Iā€™m very happy with my midex as well, works great in W7 64. In fact I prefer connecting my gear over MIDI instead of USB, Iā€™ve got 9(!) usbports in use while the Midex can do the same thing much more elegantly. Even the lights are worth it :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for these drivers!!! I just installed them on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. They seem to work well so farā€¦ Iā€™ve been trying to use the MIDI interface on my audio card which worked ok, but didnā€™t have enough inputs and outputs, but now I can use my Midex8 again. Thank you so much!

Where did the XP driver disappear to?

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/Midex_8/Pc/Midex_8_1903/

Is there a Windows 7 64 bit driver for Houston Controller?

It would be better if you start a new thread with that as your subject line instead of posting in this sticky ā€¦ seeing as your question doesnā€™t relate to the Midex.