New unsupported Midex 3/8 drivers available

Hi also recently updated to W7 x64 and got Cubase 7 x64 - was delighted about x64 MIDEX8 drivers which instalkled fine and work…though Cubase7 was freezing on exit a lot. I did clean install, froze with no plug ins installed, tried everything until I tried disabling midex8 and it was fine…

Have tried every setting in Cubase, still hangs, says all is well in device manager in W7…

Could it be a conflict with another usb device?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks Alun

I have the drivers working absolutely fine on my Win7x64 machine. So far it even seems to be more reliable than XP too. But then I haven’t used it so much yet. No lock-ups on exit either at the moment.

Given that that’s not much help, here’s a bunch of chat which is mostly irrelevant too…

To combat Midex8 unreliability in the past under XP, I have established a method of working where I steadfastly clear out unnecessary midi data. For example, I always erase Aftertouch unless I’m actually using it. I also thin out aftertouch and pitch-bend data by playing it in and then redrawing it using ‘straight lines’ using the orig data as a template, which causes the data to be drawn at ‘quantize’ intervals. Sometimes I use automation instead because it has straight lines I can edit much faster.

So, in effect I keep the amount of midi data down, and I have found this helps to avoid midi lock-up problems. Problems like the device going offline or simply seeming not work anymore, or notes being dropped.

I still have problems chasing bank and program changes though. And I still have a problem with Steinberg’s choice of which controller numbers to chase and reset - they’re not my choice! But that’s Cubase not the midi device.

My Midex8 is plugged into an 8 port usb-powered hub which itself is on the end of a 5m cable usb cable. I have many other things plugged in everywhere, sometimes via extra hubs, including my Fantom, my Triton Extreme, another usb keyboard, wireless mouse and keyboard, hard disk docks, hard disks, 3xiLoks, Cb dongle, card reader, m-audio sound box etc. The only problem that I have is sometimes the 8 port hub needs unplugging and replugging to bring back the Midex8. Also sometimes my mouse and keyboard stops working and I have to plug it in somewhere else. You get used to these things, but mostly it all works smoothly, usually caused by plugging another USB device in somewhere.

And so far I have not had any lock-ups on exit on Win7x64+Cb7, but again, I’ve not yet really used it for the large projects which I’ve used on XP+Cb5 - where it did lock up for a long time most of the time. The next few months will be a test for the system as I’m working up my new projects that have been started on Cb7.

Mike.

With C7x64 on Win7x64 no problems at all, the Midex is connected all time time but directly into a USB port on the back of the computer, not through a hub. I previously had some “hang-on-exit” occurrences, but none since about 6.02 and none at all so far on C7, and that’s not to say there’s any evidence to suggest they were ever related to the Midex drivers, although I have had a suspicion it might be MIDI-related. In the meantime I’ve also eliminated all 32-bit VSTis so that might be even more relevant.

So very happy here with the Midex on C7x64/Win7x64. :smiley:

I’m also still running beautifully, nothing to complain about regarding the midex!

nothing can possibly go wrong with the midex it’s made by Steinberg :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: ,quick batten the hatches ,bolt the doors , board up the windows and keep those BUGS out !!!

running perfect here as well on win 7- 64bit

And on Windows 8 (with Cubase 7.04).

Thanks Gargoylestudio - did wonder if it was in fact my USB mouse/kbd conflicting with the Midex8 so it seems like the pc has frozen as opposed to it actually freezing…

So - googled - and turned off power management for USB hubs on W7. Also plugged it into USB 2.0 hub on back of PC and everything else (inc keyb/mouse) is on other 3.0 USB ports

I’ve been opening and closing Cubase a few times tonight with baited breath and so far…it seems stable. Which is a big step forward having built a much more powerful PC with C7, it now all seems to work

Touch wood :slight_smile:

I have to say that I was really disappointed with Midex work in WIN7 with the new drivers. The Latency(jitter) was too high to work with hardware synthes, so I’ve decided to go back to WIN XP.

I don’t know if anybody has the same problem.

Drivers for Midex 3 32 bit OS can be found at this link.

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/Midex_3/Pc/

I have a laptop running Win 7 32 bit and they run beautifully!
Install one of the packaged drivers on the page, reboot, then plug in your midex 3 USB connecter. It may take a few minuites for the drivers to install.

Time to resurrect this old chestnut.

Since my new build I can no longer get the Midex 8 working with the Z170 mainboard. I know it’s not Windows 10 – I’ve had it working on Windows 10 x64 for a while now – and I haven’t finished troubleshooting yet, but it seems to be something to do with the USB controller in the Intel chipset.

So I’m wondering it there’s anyone out there who’s noticed the same problem – specifically, that there are problems getting the Midex 8 to work with Z170 mainboards?

… and I can answer my own question unfortunately with yes, there is a problem using the Midex with a Z170 mainboard, however it’s easily fixed.

For people in a hurry, with a free PCI/PCIe slot: plug in a USB2 card and use that for the Midex.

The longer, more technical answer: it seems that the Z170 chipset no longer supports the legacy USB modes that the Midex relies on. It look like there is a process whereby the chip in the Midex needs to load its firmware after it’s been plugged in, and this is where it’s failing, possibly as the Z170 no longer support EHCI.

Luckily In my case, there is also a USB 3.1 port on the mainboard (provided by a seperate ASMedia ASM1142 controller) and plugging the Midex into that solved all the problems. It’s incredible and somewhat ironic to think that I am able to keep such an old device alive by using a 10GBit/s USB port!

Happy days! :sunglasses:

For years I was really sad about losing support for products, but this thing with MIDEX is what companies should do in the first place, support it as long as there are users using your product, Go Steiny!!! Now bring back my virtual guitarist2 !!! (well it’s still working in windows 10 with C8.5.20 :slight_smile:

Quick search,

Apparently it should work with Win 10 64-bit

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46313#432104

Think I’ll still wait though!

George Wood

It does, perfectly.

does anyone have the original midex 3 driver cd??
that includes the original mac os driver (for mac os 9)
???

Bravo SB!!!

:smiley: Hello everybody,

if you tried to get the Midex 8 working in Mac OS X El Capitan .11 and Sierra .12 (one day old) at my MacMini(2012), it is possible !!!
I use Logic9 (yes very old) but i think it is working in Logic 10 and other Programms, too.

here is a picture of my mac desktop where you can see it:

But sometimes it is a little bit unreliable to start it. Once it runs then it runs till the next reboot.
The other disadvantage is that I need Parallels 10 with Windows 7 to start the driver.
But we want it to run! :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

I used the last unoffical mac driver from steinberg:

I open the Audio-MIDI-Setup.app in Utilities. There I want to see the Midex in white border.
I open Paralells 10 with Windows 7.

Then I connect/disconnect the USB Items in the titlebar from Paralles. Sometimes the Midex is showing then in the Audio-Midi-Setup.app. If not then I disconnect, then connect the USB cable in the MAC. A popup shows me which of the computer i wish to connect with the midex (Win7 Parallels or MacMini). there i choose the MacMini. Sometime it is needed to be testing different connect / disconnect options. Mostly it is functionally when i disconnect & connect the cable.

I don´t know if it possible with an other Virtual Machine like Virtual Box or such an USB connecting / disconnecting programm.

Hope this can help anyone of you! :sunglasses:

André Müller

I have been using this driver without any problem on Cubase 8.5 (Win 7). But now I am on Cubase Pro 9.0.10 and I have timing issues. When I record within a new arrangement at a tempo of 90BPM the midi events are placed approx 2.5 frames ahead (too early) in my timeline (at 30fps) :frowning:

Is this the end of Midex 8?

FYI: when I do the same within my (still installed) Cubase 8.5, Midex 8 works fine!
FYI: When I use my other keyboard connected with an USB lead (instead of using MIDI through Midex). There is no issue at all.

Anyone any tips?

All the best,
Daniël

The MIDI port setup has changed a little bit in Cubase 9. In Preferences, MIDI Port Setup, have you tried with “Use Device ‘DirectMusic’” unchecked and “Use System Timestamp for Windows MIDI Inputs” checked?

You may need to restart Cubase if you make a change. You should see only “Windows MIDI” in the Device column.

Just wanted to say a massive thank you, I’d been sat here for the past hour trying to get my midex to work on my new x99 system after foolishly spending the last few days installing all of my software first.

Although I need to fully test it, it simply wasn’t installing properly and causing my system to hang on restart. The general consensus of the Internet was that it worked on win10 otherwise I wouldn’t have considered moving systems.

As soon as I tried it in the usb 3.1 port it installed straight away and appears to be working fine.

Big respect for picking this up.