New unsupported Midex 3/8 drivers available

Good to hear!

As a matter of interest, do you know if the USB 3.1 controller on your motherboard is the same ASMedia ASM1142?

my trusty midex 8 has ceased to work following one of the recent windows 10 updates. Might be a long shot but doesnā€™t hurt to ask: any plans to update midex drivers to current win10 incarnation?

Iā€™ll give these drivers a try on my Windows 10 Pro v1709, although Iā€™m considering installing the Windows 10 v1809 update. I use the Steinberg UR824 for audio now, which does not have any MIDI capability (like my previous audio interface did).

I havenā€™t done any MIDI in years. The bigger immediate problem is that I have misplaced the MIDEX 8 power supply since my last studio move. Iā€™m sure it is around here somewhere. If anyone can post a photo of the USA version of the MIDEX 8 power supply, that could help me spot it in one of my many equipment junk boxes and bags.

The MIDEX-8 is USB-powered and doesnā€™t need a seperate power supply. The power connector is for an optional 6V supply but itā€™s only needed if youā€™re plugging it into an unpowered USB hub (which is not recommended for optimal MIDI timing in any case).

(Sorry just saw this post now). The MIDEX-3 and MIDEX-8 both work perfectly in Windows 10 with the new unsupported drivers.

too late for me, ended up selling the midex 8 and replacing it with ESI M8U-eX, but thanks for the update!

Thatā€™s one Iā€™ve had my eye on as well ā€“ there arenā€™t many options for 8-port USB MIDI interfaces! Iā€™d be interested to know how you get on with it.

1 Like

Rock solid. Only drawback is the default setting is no output signal at all vs signal at all outputs in standalone (no allocated MIDI track in Cubase session).

This driver still works perfectly in Win10/1809. DirectMusic timestamping (LTB) is fully intact in Cubase 10.0.40. I did some tests on my system (i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz, Z97 mainboard, Midex 8 connected to internal USB3 port).

Test scenario:

1. Connected MIDI Out 8 to MIDI In 8.
  2. Set up a project 120 bpm in Cubase.
  3. Created a source track with 32 MIDI notes, sent to MIDI Out 8.
  4. Recorded from MIDI In 8 on a seperate track.
  5. Did this for Direct Music ports and Windows MIDI ports, both with ā€˜Use system timestampā€™ on/off.
  6. Did this for 3 load scenarios: No load, 40% load @ 128 samples buffer, 70% load peaking with 64 samples buffer.

The load scenarios means a big project with ~ 30 HSO tracks in 2 instances of HALion Sonic 3, 3 x UJAM Virtual Guitarist, Valhalla Vintage Verb, GA SE with Simon Phillips Studio drums, some instances of DEXed, one Jbridged instance of Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2. So a really busy project.

See the results in the attached images.

Source (sent out):

Recorded (example):

Result sheet:

I havenā€™t tested the latency/jitter yet, but can report that I just racked up my old M8 and that it works very nicely indeed with Windows 10 1903 + C9.5. Weā€™ll see how it fares with 10.5 when it arrives :slight_smile:

j,