I have recently come across a bug that is a definite Cubase issue. I am using 8.0.30 and it is a bug that was previously experienced by some as far back as SX3, but not so much in recent builds.
To create the issue, these are the steps:
- Create empty project
- Add Kontakt 5 as rack instrument
- Create MIDI track and tehn add an additional 15 MIDI tracks
- Add samples for 16 different instrument, one for each MIDI track in Kontakt 5
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 as many times as necessary (bug seems to kick in at about 20-25+ instances of Kontakt 5
- Add various other instrument tracks (I used Omnisphere, Zebra2 and Diva mainly)
- Create 30 group channels
- Route various instruments to required group channels
- Add VCA fader tracks to required groups of tracks
- Colour tracks as required and save as template
By now you should have a number of MIDI tracks controlling instruments in various instances of Kontakt across a large template. This is my default film scoring template that I am trying to set up. However, once set up, the audio tracks for the VST output appear to stop working. Saving, closing and reopening sometimes kicks the audio back in, and sometimes not. The hit and miss nature of this shows it is definitely not a routing or setup/hardware issue.
The main evidence of a Cubase problem is that Kontakt shows it is sending an audio output, the audio outpout track in Cubase is receiving something (visible in the inspectors EQ panel) but there is zero audio coming out. The group channels show nothing in the EQ panels, meaning there is no audio coming through the instrument output audio track (even though the EQ is showing an input). I have tried adding a variety of plugins, including Steinberg ones such as Padshop and Retrologue, but still there is no audio coming through.
It is a bit of a complex issues to try and describe and I have set up a post elsewhere to try and describe the issue, which includes various screenshots of the different stages.
I have been able to replicate this bug numerous times by crating larger template using the process detailed above. I have come across it on at least 5/6 different template designs. Also, it happens across all template that when I open a new project using the templates created that sometimes the audio works fine and sometimes the bug happens. The fact that it happens across various templates, various plugins and is such a hit and miss nature when loading a new project seems to be pretty definitive that it is a Cubase bug.
Here is a link to a very detailed and descriptive thread about the problem: http://vi-control.net/community/threads/cubase-bug-or-am-i-missing-something.48771/
My system runs @ 4.4GHz using an Intel Core i5 2500K processor and has 32GB RAM. I am running a 64 bit Windows 10 Pro and a 64 bit Cubase Pro 8.0.30.