No Audio Output - Cubase 12 on Windows 11

Hi,

Can anyone look at thee pictures and see if you see anything wrong?

I have a new PC (ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI). I had the exact same issue whether using the included Realtek chip or the current Sound Blaster Z card. I have the SPDIF cable plugged in and can get sound from any music file, video, game, etc. But simply nothing in Cubase 12.

I have spent 5 hours on this already, reinstalling, updating, everything I can think of. When I play my Cubase file, you can see the volume levels for each note played, but no output. I have also tried ASIO4ALL and the included Sound Blaster ASIO driver.

output2

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

This is a digital output (S/PDIF) is it connected to any digital input? Or would you prefer to use an analog output?

Hi Martin,

That is the S/PDIF output on the back of the PC, which has an optical cable going to the speaker. I tried the included output on the motherboard, then added the Sound Blaster Z card back in. No matter which configuration I used, no sound is generated within Cubase 12. It is only with Cubase… everything else on the computer generates sound perfectly.

This worked perfectly on my previous Windows 10 machine, with Cubase 8.5. The above picture is how my sound is setup in Windows 11.

I cannot think of any other settings to make! Everything appears perfectly mapped! That is why I am asking here.

Also, not sure if this matters, but I get a number of crashes (not all the time) on startup of Cubase 12. Even when it does not crash, the sound still will not work. I also have had Cubase lock up several times when trying several sound options and I had to close the process manually. Here is some log information:

Faulting application name: Cubase12.exe, version: 12.0.0.205, time stamp: 0x6205506c
Faulting module name: Cubase12.exe, version: 12.0.0.205, time stamp: 0x6205506c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000309428a
Faulting process id: 0x351c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d849508a4b14b3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Cubase12.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Cubase12.exe
Report Id: 2fdf04fa-eef8-49a0-8c51-cadcc616139d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The program Cubase12.exe version 12.0.0.205 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 1c0c
Start Time: 01d8494fcef6587c
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Cubase12.exe
Report Id: f7e999c6-f8d6-43cf-89ea-5aab61474399
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

Can you make sure your computer is configured this way ?

Thanks Luis…

I finally fixed the issue. What you show was actually correct. The issue is there is another setting to make. See the picture below.

I guess this routes the digital output from the ASIO driver to the SPDIF output, even though standard Windows sounds already are. Setting “Play stero mix to digital output” fixed it.