No need to install iTunes on PC for using IC Pro

Well, let me add something over here.

I am searching for a way to remote-control my DAW since 15 years - basically this was the reason I built my studio back those day because I was not able to find a solid working way to control my home computer while playing drums in the rehearsalroom in the other house … So I built a Soundproof Room in my apartment…

Some time ago I realized that there is this Cubase IR Pro App and I was euphoric big time! The only reason why I NOT installed and tested it ASAP was that on that SKI Info Page I read that I HAVE TO INSTALL ITUNES on my Windows based DAW.

Though I love my MacBook Pro and my Airbook as well as my iPhone (so I basically love Apple stuff) I will NEVER EVER install iTunes on my Studio DAW (Win7 64bit)… Never ever…

So that was the reason why I not tried/used IC Pro till now… Now I just checked this forum because I wanted to ask if there is a way to install / use SKI without Applestuff… And this brilliant user Patanjali made my day!!

OF COURSE it is - when you open the app - obvious that just typing-in the IP adress manually will do it… but for that you have to buy/open IC Pro first. Not that I mind the 15 bucks in any way, but when I am under the impression that it will not work i will not do it…

So I purchased/installed IC Pro, had a look in my router setup regarding the IP of my DAW - typed it in - DANG - it is working!

And how great it is!! It is just awesome - I was not aware that there exist such a great tool…

PLEASE Steinberg - update your page and give us new users a hint that there is no need to install iTunes on our Win PC when we are willing to type in the IP adress manually instead… As I can see in the thread I linked - there are quite a lot of people who do not want to install iTunes on their Windows DAW…

Oh, and when we are here: Please add that Nuendo 6 is compatible as well… At least I have no problems over here to control Nuendo 6 with IC Pro via my iPhone 5s. Do not know if it is fully compatible but at least the basic functions offered in IC Pro are working like a charm.

Thanks.

Brandy

Brandy, you can install Bonjour without installing iTunes.

Thanks, Roos! We just talked in the other topic about that… but then this should be mentioned on the SKI page… that IC Pro will work without anything - just the IP adress - and that Bonjour can be installed without iTunes… I do not have a clue about Bonjour etc… Though I have some Apple devices - but here everything just runs fine without installing additional stuff, so I just have / had a very bad feeling about installing non audio-stuff from Apple on my Win DAW…

Understood, Brandy. I am not an Apple iTunes fan because of it’s huge tax on a computer, of course. What I’ve done here is install iTunes on a different PC, copy the music files to an external HD, and then move them to a HD on my DAW PC. This way I can have access to the tunes if I need them - but without the BS of the iTunes player.

Bonjour works so well and is so automatic that I will continue using it.