No sound in Dorico 4

Hey all,

I just installed Dorico 4 and no matter if I pick the Hal Lion sounds or the BBCSO (I use the downloaded expression maps so there is also no problem with that) I get no sound at all. I followed the steps in the FAQ and chose the low latency Asio Drivers, I still can get NO sound. When I open the instance of Hal Lion or BBCSO and press the keyboard keys there is also no sound played.

I would really appreciate your help because I just bought the BBCSO and Dorico to finally make good music with it and now it doesn’t work.

I’m on Windows, btw.

1 Like

Hi @PurpleRevMusic , welcome to the forum.
First let’s stick to HALion Sonic SE and try to get sound out. BBCSO is another beast to tame.
For a beginning it is best to start with a new project from piano template and just enter a couple of arbitrary notes. So no sound even when you play back or click the on-screen keyboard in the HALion window, right?
Then please go to Edit > Device Setup. What does it say there as stereo outputs? Is that the expected output? Click on the Device Control Panel button, a new little window appears. In the middle is a list of output ports, is something appearing there with you, or is the expected output not listed? Then try to toggle the switch at the top saying something about ‘exclusive access’; does that change something in the list?

Thank you for the reply.

There is nothing I can chose from Streo Output. It’s just blank. In the device Control Panel it shows my speakers.

After several restarts it works, now. I don’t know what the problem was, I didn’t do anything differently I just restarted the laptop a few times and now it shows my speakers in the Stereo Output and I hear sound.

Problem solved, thanks!

1 Like

J’ai également un problème lorsque je veux installer sounds content pour dorico 4

Hi @tugobunabof , what if you download the contents via this Steinberg webpage, do you still get the same error?

I have this problem repeatedly. Dorico crashes, won’t playback, or some other problem arises for no reason. Eventual restarts cure the problem only for it to return later randomly on other projects. Version 4 is BUGGY.

Hi @bobsabin, next time you have no audio, please do from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Similarly if you have crashes ; restart Dorico and create a diagnostics report and post here. Thanks

No sound, attached is the file
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (413.2 KB)
requested

Hi @Kevin_Aston ,
there is nothing to be heard, because the ASIO driver does not “see” a port of the audio device, where it can send the audio stream to.
If you go to Edit > Device Setup and push the Control Panel button, a new little window opens. In the middle is a list with output ports, that one is empty with you.

Do you have other audio apps running in parallel to Dorico?
In the just mentioned Control Panel, at the top is some option about exclusive access; is that tick marked with you. If so, please toggle and see if output ports turn up?
There is also a Windows-side option for that, which I want you to check. Please have a look at my other posting. There the talk is about a different option, but you can also find the one about exclusive access in there as well. Again, try toggling and see if output ports do appear then.

Yesterday I updated my Steinberg Assistant and did the updates that were shown. Since then, I am getting know sound when inputting notes in Dorico 4 and there is no playback sound. I’ve checked that my headphones are selected ok but still doesn’t work (then Dorico stops responding and has to close down). I’ve also tried selecting my computer speakers but this doesn’t work either. I’ve tried restarting my computer and still no luck. Finally I thought I’d email myself the flow audio file and play it through my phone. This appears to play but is also completely silent. What has gong wrong and how can I sort it out please?

Here is the zip diagnostic file
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (877.2 KB)

I suspect the sound problem is more likely due to an automatic operating system update or the like rather than your update to the SDA. Unless you also did something to affect Dorico itself, I would not expect the SDA upgrade to affect the sound system.

But I’m sure Ulf or another member of the Dorico Team will figure out from your diagnostic report what is happening.

Hi @Janet_Baldacci ,
thanks for the data, unfortunately it still does not give me a real picture of what is happening on your machine. There are 2 crash files of the audio engine contained, but both have a file size of zero bytes, so these files certainly are not helpful then.
So we have to start with the basics again, please have a look at this thread and go through the steps and tell me where it starts diverting from the expected behaviour. Thanks