NotePerformer 4 Released

Did Apple release iPad Logic or only announce it today?
There is a blurb about it on Scoring Notes.

I’ve been playing the same pieces back and forth between BBC Core and BBC Pro and I can barely notice a difference in sound quality. They both sound good in the hands of NPPE. I can’t decide which one to buy either.

I was the same with the demos provided, but I have to say I’m actually trying them out with my music and I prefer Pro. I have 64G and I’ve loaded about 44GB worth of samples. I still prefer the stock NP trumpets. Anyway I think it sounds better not to mention the extra instruments. Or if you have both you could probably use Core instruments and Pro for the missing instruments. That would make for a lighter memory footprint.

Thread’s getting long… :slight_smile: how about some playful pizzicato for a break? (NPPE/BBC)

4 Likes

Really nice! Core or Pro?

Update? Do tell!

Search this thread for ‘Silent Noteperformer’ :wink:

Core :wink:

1 Like

Hm. I’m seeing no BBCSO Core update. Per the Spitfire site, the most recent update was quite awhile ago:

The update is about NotePerformer4/NPPE …

@ivanduch Slurring the whole phrase definitely makes a change. Alternatively putting “legato” in the beginning seems to help too.

I tried this out on another phrase, but still I hear some strange artefacts.
(note that I installed the update)

Here an example:

Listen to the first three notes in this rendition with BBC SO core via NPPE:

It feels as if the violin 1 and 2 are not playing the second note at the same time. But what really happens is something else. Here the slowed down version (25% speed).

As you can hear the A (second note) in violin 1 is halfway increasing in volume, does giving the effect as if it was played delayed. Why is that?

When playing this phrase at a lower speed in Dorico (say 60 beats/min) this artefact is not heard. As I increase speed (from 70 beats/min onwards) I start hearing that artefact.

@Wallander hi,
Arne, I’m wondering something…
Have you worked on Divisi / Soli & Gli-altri Dorico function support in NPPE for the libraries that don’t support Divisi by design? Actually the only String library on the market that completely supports Divisi is the VSL Dimension Strings.
BBC SO by default doesn’t support Divisi. I suppose NPPE could somehow compensate the lack of divisi?!

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Arne,

I found that after the update, my BBCSO Core in NPPE seem not working properly. Huge sound drops and some instrument don’t sound at all even if the NPPE showed that they are loaded properly. And when I tried to mute NPPE, the instruments don’t come back being played with NP4 original sound. Before the update I can play the same score just fine, for example Dan Kreider’s great “All Can it Be” piece. Although I am just having it running on a 16GB system( but with latest i7-1360P and very fast internal SSDs that can read up to 7000MB/s). And I found that this issue seems affecting the BBCSO core library only or most. Of course I am not sure if it is caused by the NPPE update or other problems. Just let you know what I encountered. Hope you can take a look at it.

Any other users found BBCSO core performed differently after the update?

That’s not completely unexpected. The legato sample crossfade-time will vary with the tempo because it’s sensitive to the previous note length. It’s a feature of the library because you couldn’t otherwise do fast figures and have smooth slow legato with the same instrument.

Theoretically, we could play libraries mostly without these artifacts if the sample library gave us the ability to linearly increase the crossfade time with a MIDI CC, but no libraries currently support that.

To be sure: Do you mean “Spitfire Solo strings” for BBCSO Professional? From Berlin Berklee I do not find any Solo Strings. Thank you very much!

I understand there is only so much you can do with a given library, and it is clear you did great efforts to achieve an optimal result given the limitations of each library,

I come back to my earlier point that it would be great if somehow we could playback the sampled sound layered with the “perfectly synthesized” NP sounds. It would both enrich the sound and sort of camouflage these kind of artefacts.

I know I’m not the only one suggesting this. Your general answer is that it is not feasible from the perspective of CPU and architecture. Please give it some thought again, I think providing such feature would mean another leap upwards (even if for example only available for a limited quantity of instruments).

1 Like

It’s not a known problem. I would suggest re-downloading and installing again, just in case. We had some initial trouble with the installers. Also, make sure all relevant programs are closed when you install, and that there’s no “VstAudioEngine” process lingering.

We don’t support “Spitfire Solo strings" yet. It’s a separate library.

BBCSO Professional includes solo strings. They may be labelled “first chairs”. Usually when sample developers say “first chairs” instead of “solo strings” that would indicate that the instruments may be a little simpler than a dedicated solo strings library, but I think they’re good. Especially for slower music, which plain NP struggles with. Here’s an example from BBCSO Professional first chairs:

Link

Analogously, Berlin Berklee includes solo strings. They’re listed at the top of the “Instruments” tab:
https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/berlinorchestra

I have not yet been able to access Kontakt-based libraries in NPPE. Is there some secret I’ve yet to discover?

Some users have reported this. We don’t know yet what’s causing it.

We only downloaded the libraries from Native Access and created .vstpresets which are included in NPPE. I wonder if it may be sensitive to the installation location.

Here’s a .zip file with a few .vstpresets from NPPE for Nucleus. If you have a DAW, you could try opening them in there and see if the problem can be resolved in the Kontakt player. If you’re able to, I’m very interested in knowing how.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyusf7q0h7qe3cx/Nucleus%20VST%20presets.zip?dl=1