Notes shown in bar repeats?

Perhaps I’m missing something but I would expect that when I’ve written some music and add a bar repeat over it, it would hide the notes (similar to how this works in Finale with staff styles). What currently happens is that the repeat sign is added along with the notes that stay visible.

Is it particularly hard to hide the notes or is there a concept behind this that just isn’t finished yet?

The measure-repeat symbols are (currently) only graphic placeholders. They do not hide underlying notes (as the corresponding Style does in Finale) nor do they actually play back (yet).

Yeah, but why?

go to Introducing Dorico Pro 2 and Dorico Elements 2 – Dorico and search for the text:

As yet, bar repeats have no effect on playback,

We don’t plan to make bar repeats hide any underlying music, because that should be unnecessary once they play back: they will simply be able to play the music in the bar or bars that precede them.

We do, however, plan to make slash regions hide any underlying music.

I like the sound of that!

That really does sound good – and plausible. I guess I just have to get used to not writing any music that I want repeated then (as is necessary in Finale). :slight_smile:

On the other hand, it looks a little buggy as it is right now, with notes and repeat signs visible at the same time. Perhaps something should be done about that in future, too.

Daniel - I appreciate that the bar repeats function well for play back, but my concern is about how the look. I want the notes to be visible on the score layout, but NOT visible in the part layout. It feels unsettling to delete the underlying notation just to make the repeats look right.

Is there a better solution for this?

1 Like

Daniel - It’s great that the bar repeats work well for play back, but I need them to also look right. I would like to have the notes show in the score layouts, but only the bar repeats in the part. Is this possible to accomplish without deleting the notes from the part, printing that part, then pasting them back in so they still exist in the piece?

Please advise!

Welcome to the forum, mfabulich. At the moment there’s no practical way to show bar repeats in the part but have the music written out in the full score (or indeed vice versa). I recognise the requirement and I hope we’ll be able to come up with a good solution for this in future.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

I wonder if the Bar Repeat score/part thing has had a solution by now.

1 Like

Nothing’s changed here yet.