Nuendo 6.0.4 maintenance update available

Have you tried using a higher buffersize?
And what is the performance meter showing?

This really sounds like a performance issue.

Fredo

This project I’m working on, has only some 8 stereo tracks and maybe three-four of them playing at the same time. During playback, Performance meter stays about half of the first quarter and doesn’t move much, so it doesn’t seem like a hard task for CPU or hard drive (which is SSD). A few EQ’s, limiters and such are activated, VSL and Voxengo 64-bit plugins. I’m also using Blackmagic Thunderbolt box to output video, but it’s not that, I get crackles even when it’s not connected.

What happens is this - when I start playback near the clip which has Elastique Pitch transpose, it may or may not start with a crackle and there can be crackles during the rest of the clip as well. If I start playback from further away, this rarely happens. So, maybe it is performance issue though it doesn’t seem like very taxing project. And projects like this - even much more complex ones, used to work without a glitch in Nuendo 5.5. Also, before trashing preferences this problem was much worse, but it didn’t disappear fully after.

I’m using MBP with Windows7-64bit, Nuendo 6.04 64-bit + NEK with Generic Low Latency ASIO driver when at home and RME Fireface UC when at studio. Haven’t been to studio for a while, so I cannot confirm how it behaves with RME, but with Generic ASIO driver there are crackles. I haven’t touched the buffer settings, I don’t even know how. I/O and ASIO Guard latency are all 20ms.

Thanks for helping me out Fredo!

Hmmmm … just a question … Is your content stored on the same SSD drive your OS is running on?

Fredo

Yes, my system drive is 512GB Crucial m4 and the projects are on it. It is exactly the same environment I’ve used Nuendo 5.5 with.

I made a quick test and started a project on another SSD I have on the side for VSL samples (I replaced MBP optical drive with similar Crucial m4 512GB SSD). Just one stereo track with Elastique pitch-shifted short clip. Crackles at the start, sometimes in the middle, sometimes nothing. No change compared to running on system SSD.

Does Nuendo 6 have a different, more power hungry Elastique algorithm maybe or something else changed in the engine? Happy to help out more if I can!

After some investigation it seems my graphic bug is 6.0.4 specific so I post it here as well and I hope this is addressed in next update.

Hi HabaNero,

I have seen one system, where a Cubase user had massive performance problems in Cubase 7 (same generation as Nuendo 6) which didn’t occur in Cubase 6.5 (same generation as Nuendo 5.5). His problems were specific to his computer system. We haven’t been able to reproduce it anywhere else. His problems vanished as soon as we copied his application folder to a normal harddisc.
Could you please try to copy your Nuendo 6 application folder to a normal harddisc? If you don’t have a normal harddisc built into your system, you could also copy it to a USB-disc or a USB-stick. After this, you should start Nuendo from the new location to check whether the symptoms disappear.

If that helps, we’d like to know more about your system details.

Best regards,
Janne.

No ideas for this problem? It is a constant nuisance and off-line pitch shift is really slow way to work. It’s like crawling back to the cave of PT ghosts :slight_smile: Like I said, I’m more than happy to test my system any way I can to help you out finding the cause, just tell me!

Thanks!

Hi HabaNero,

you didn’t seem to notice my previous post, did you?
I asked you to do a small test…

Cheers,
Janne.

Ah, I didn’t notice the thread moved to another page, sorry! Yes, I did your test like this:

• Copied “program files/steinberg/nuendo 6” - folder to external drive (5400rpm 1TB usb2)
  • Started Nuendo6 and created new project on the same drive
  • Imported 3 sec SFX file into project (it was copied to project’s audio folder)
  • Changed clip properties to Elastique pitch
  • Changed pitch randomly from -24 → +24, copied clip all around, several instances playing on top and back to back

You were right - no crackles at all, just like Nuendo 5.5 used to be and just the way I like it! Huh, now how to get this working on my SSD setup, hmm?

Here’s my system: Late '11 MBP, 16GB memory, 2x512GB Crucial m4, Windows7/64bit, Nuendo 6.04 64bit.

You can probably find my email address probably somewhere from my user data, just send me more questions directly and I’d be happy to help out the best I can!

Thanks!

Great.
I think you just made one of our developers very happy.
(I know it sounds strange, but this one was bugging -pun intended- beta & development for a while)

Fredo

Happy to help out! I’d be most eager to test any quick/beta fix for this, even if not official update!

Have you checked whether there is a firmware upgrade available for your Crucial m4 SSD model? I have read about issues with SSDs that have been addressed with firmware updates in the past.

Yes, the latest firmware (70H) has been installed sometime in Feb when it was released. So, I’m guessing the new update 6.05 doesn’t address this issue just yet?

No, the update does not address this as we still have to investigate. Thanks for the info!

Happy to hear if you’ve found the solution to this problem and is there an update coming up? I still hear the clicks in every project, it is a daily annoyance…

Thanks for the info!

I checked the changes list of Nuendo 6.06 update and although many of the problems solved are certainly welcome and much needed, I didn’t notice anything regarding Elastique Pitch real-time processing clicks and cracks? Did I miss it somehow or is it in the update? Or are you still working on it? Please at least say you’re working on it…

Thanks for the info!