Nuendo 7.5 - Any known info?

Well for anyone on OSX there’s Quicktime Player 7 or pro or whatever it’s called. In it you can edit video and swap audio. Maybe it works on Win as well, I haven’t tried.

But yeah, a new engine will be nice.

This is the fastest and best-quality converter avaiable. And it’s free.

http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/index.html

Fredo

I know the work a rounds. I do it with Pro Tools. I dont have the time to edit video and sync.
Im fed up with -time consuming- work a rounds.

Hey Fredo,

Are we going to see some improvements to the internal SRC? There are various options out there…Goodhertz, Izotope, and even the freeware Sox all do pretty much perfect SRC, and it does matter when you import audio with higher sample rates than your session, or are exporting to lower sample rates…

No, I too find the Nuendo & Cubase user guide references to video export (and editing) inexplicable and plainly incorrect in terms of the way it actually doesn’t work. In that context, Sternberg is also very hopeful in offering side grades from Pro Tools apparently based on their recent misfortunes and grumpy user-base (not that I’m an Avid fan by any means). For example:

Have just completed two 40min films with ProTools HD 12.4, Final Cut Pro & Da Vinci Resolve (Mac 10.11.3, Mac Pro 5,1, dual 4k monitors, Nvida GTX980 etc). Nuendo or Cubase can’t handle it (not the least of which is re. CPU optimisation on this 12 core 3.33 48GB box - other threads abound about that one).

Pro Tools HD on the other hand eats it. Workflow is:

Load muti-cam footage into FCPX & bounce out as ProRes 422 files (~30GB a pop).
Load multi-track audio into PTHD; load ProRes video files into Protools. Zero CPU issues, plenty of power.
The main point: ProTools handles multi-tracks of video files, video playlists and editing.
Sync & mix the audio for video (and video tracks /angles); bounce audio to new Pro Tools track & optimise for required LUFS.
Bounce each video out in turn, complete with sync’d audio, video edits and LUFS spec. As ProRes 422.
Load into FCPX, run the camera angles, and finish the film.

Also much more straightforward than the usual ‘round tripping’ and variously inconsistent implementations of XML, AAF, OMF etc.

Similarly, applies to bouncing out various comps to directors etc: edited video, mixed sound and bounce to vid format of choice.

Any rough timeline for the 7.5 release?

They’ve recently turned more conservative announcing release dates and usually that has led to them being rather accurate…Of course that means that it’s still pointless to ask :laughing:

Ollie

What good is the release date of a new version with new features if it’s going to take about 10-11 months to get them to work properly after???

Yep. I’m not looking forward to n7.5 at all. It will contain new and, in some cases, unwanted features so SB feel justified in charging for a .5 update, and there will be no guarantee that the n7 problems we paid for a long time ago will be fixed. The new features will also probably break things that were previously working, as per usual.

Any news?
Features info?
Are we into the grace period yet?

throw us a bone here. :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Quicktime (QT) is so much. It is the QT api that Apple will drop in the future. The current video engine utilise the QT api on both Windows and OS X, so it is cross platform today.
When the QT api is dropped from OS X AV Foundation is the only video api standing.
For Windows Apple is dropping QT and it is also only 32bit on Windows. So for Windows SB will have to use a native api to Windows.

All this is positive, because we are dragging the feet on current Win and OSX versions. QT api is old and not very efficient. Hey, even AJA and BMD have to keep QT api for legacy in their drivers to give us video output from Nuendo and other software still using the QT api. The future will be bright when the bugs are ironed out.

For info, the video export in PT is using the QT api, so it will die when Apple drops it. I suspect that Avid of course will bring it back, but it might take time there also.
Adobe is also relying on QT api for many operations. They also have to change.
I suspect that it is the two big players Avid and Adobe that are talking Apple into keeping QT for the time being. It was announced as dead years ago.

Apps software that use native AV Foundation today (that I know of) in OSX:

• BMD Davinci Resolve
  • Apple Quicktimeplayer X
  • Apple Final Cut Pro X
  • Apple iMovie
  • etc.

Trivia: Video and audio playback and record on iPhone and iPad have been AV Foundation from day one.

Pål

The point is not QT.
The point is WE need a solution to keep up with our clients. WE need ANY solution, fast, from inside Nuendo to export video fragments.

As I said before - The connection between Sound designer-composer to his client became “Online”. Some want to know about the progress asap.

If QT is dead, please, come up with other solutions.

I of course agree with you! It is a sorely missed feature.

Hoping this gets released at Musikmesse in two days!

Why would they choose a music trade show to release an audio post application?

Notice how I said “hoping”.

Obviously, SB will announce it on the Web first.
Hopefully we will have any respond here at the forum.

According to this blog Quicktime for Windows suffers from 2 serious security vunerabilities and should be uninstalled as soon as possible. For anyone using Nuendo on PC this is currently not an option. However you could consider taking your studio off the net…
Apple manages to disappoint pro users even if they don’t use Macs. Very bad publicity indeed.

You can remove the QT player only. This still leaves the QT libs there which is what Nuendo needs.

Pål

I don’t know about 7.5. I’m not that long in the Nuendo universe yet. About a year now. And I’ve seen so many updates and new features and especially bugfixes in other DAWs, while Nuendo has remained largely without update.

Making a paid upgrade for every .5 update sets the wrong incentives in my opinion. You keep back features to justify a price tag. As the Nuendo dev team doesn’t seem large, most of the developers probably work on the paid features, as they are said justification for making it a paid upgrade. All while taking away resources from needed bug fixes as they don’t pay the bills. I think the .5 update should be deliberately free of bigger new features and improve workflows and squash bugs. Not to introduce new shiny features. Those can be concentrated to major releases.

I think Nuendo would be a great candidate for a subscription model that many companies come up with now, e.g. Adobe. I think paying a monthly fee that adds up to about the amount of the paid upgrades would be fine for me. They could release fixes and features as they become available and don’t have to hold back features for a paid upgrade. They don’t have to keep multiple codebases, the current one for fixing bugs and the new one with the new features and fixed bugs. I would hope releases, bug fixes and new features would come much more fluently. Photoshop and Premiere Pro are also pro tools and there, updating the apps on a rolling basis seems to work fine. All while fixing bugs and adding new features and improvements constantly. I like it.

Currently, Nuendo is very highly priced for the support one gets. There are still many things people complain about here in the forums and there hasn’t been an update to Nuendo for a long time, compared to other software tools I use. They get fixed and patched much more quickly and I even get the occasional small feature without paying.
I’m also disappointed that popular Cubase is leading the tech, while Nuendo gets those features only years later, all while having 3 times the price tag. Yes, it is for a professional audience, it’s more a niche product than Cubase, but so the tool should also be professional, stable and state of the art in most aspects.

Take a look at Blackmagic Design, their pro editing and color grading suite DaVinci Resolve is $999. They just announced a .5 update. Look at all the stuff in there (scroll down half a page and click the first video): DaVinci Resolve 18 | Blackmagic Design
Or written as text: Blackmagic Forum • View topic - DaVinci Resolve 12.5
And it’s free for existing users. No charge.

I’m OK with paying for great work, so I’m not saying a Nuendo .5 update should be free. I’m willing to pay for pro software, no question. But Nuendo feels like a stepchild, a second class citizen in the Steinberg universe, slowly falling behind the times. Not dramatic, but in small steps. And slow updates that don’t fix pressing issues just accelerate this cycle.

A non-vital but important thing is for example retina support. While most apps have a Retina version on my 5K Mac by now, Nuendo still looks ugly and pixelated. Fonts are super small, as if I was stuck in year 2000, where 14" flatscreen monitors were THE thing and 10pt fonts looked big. In a 27" multi-monitor environment, where you sit a little further back, it’s simply unreadable. But it will probably be year 2025 until we see an update for that. It doesn’t seem like a big thing, but when you have trouble reading the information on screen and have convoluted, small, or unfindable click targets with tons of mouse-over reveals, where you need to position the mouse on a single pixel for it to show up or move, your workflow slows down to a crawl and this impacts productivity. Not everyone has the precision of a surgeon, not everyone has the best vision despite glasses. Super small fonts are a challenge and I don’t want to keep sticking my nose to the screen. Especially as I can use Logic or Studio One just fine. But they don’t do everything Nuendo does. So I love Nuendo for what it does, but it could be brought into a more modern environment for it to stay great for the next 10 years.

I’m a bit disappointed by this strategy and update cycle. And I hoped I would not be dependent on the few functions no other tool has so I could switch away.