Odd default staff and page sizes

I can’t figure out exactly which situations this happens in, but it keeps happening to me that when I create a new score or open a new layout with an instrumental part, the default page size is huge and the default staff size is 2.81mm which is tiny, and then I have to manually set reasonable sizes. I wonder if there is a way to restore all of the default sizes for staves and pages that the program ships with, or if some of the defaults haven’t been set correctly. Given the attention to detail that Dorico shows to ratios between various objects in the score, I would like to see what the recommended ratios are for staff sizes in different types of scores.

It sounds like you might have inadvertently saved a set of layout options as the default when you didn’t mean to: go to your user data folder and delete the layoutOptions_parts.xml file you find there, and that should put things right.

On Windows, that folder is C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico. On Mac, it’s ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico.

Thanks, that did the trick!

XML folder Dorico.png
This is what is in my xml folder

I also deleted that file, but now I cannot open any project!
Dorico crashes every time.

What am I to do now?

Here is the application log file also
I have no crash dumps because the program always crashes while starting…;
application.zip (1.1 KB)

Could you zip up the entire contents of that folder, attach here, so we can also check the other files?

Once you’ve got a copy zipped up, try deleting the other layoutOptions_… xml file, does that help? (might be the same issue discussed here [SOLVED] Can't create new project after loading template - Dorico - Steinberg Forums).

Can you create new projects at all?

If none of that helps, take a look at the cleanup script Paul posted in the FAQ thread: Frequently asked questions: try this thread first - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Thank you for your quick answer.
I am sending here the Dorico folder.
When I deleted the other 2 options xml files everything was okay.

But when I first start Dorico, I have a scrambled symbol palet to the right and to the left in WRITE mode.
I send you these pictures as well.
When I close Dorico and open it again the GUI is normal again

Dorico.zip (9.92 KB)

We’re aware of the intermittent problem with the icons showing up at weird sizes on Windows, and hopefully this will be addressed in the first post-release update.

When I now try to import an xml file created with Sibelius 8.4.2 Dorico crashes.
I am sending the crashdump file.
Dorico.exe.1320.zip (676 KB)

It’s likely that the crash is related to the specific MusicXML file you’re trying to open. Could you zip that up and attach it here?

here it is; It is supposed to be a beamer presentation;
NLb 712.zip (3.95 KB)

Your MusicXML file opens up OK for me. I’ve taken the liberty of copying and pasting the music from the three different verses into three flows: see the attached.
NLb 712.dorico.zip (200 KB)

Okay, you did it again!
It works fine, but I think I use a lot old VSTi’s in my computer. I tried to change the master pages, and now dorico crashes every time I make a change…
I am going to see if disabling any VST components and VSTi’s (or just renaming the VST folders will help…

Do you find that Dorico crashes in any project, or only in the one you’re working on? If the problem seems to be limited to one project, please attach it here, and please also attach your crash logs so we can take a look and see what might be going wrong. I doubt any crashes in editing master pages would be caused by your VST plug-ins.

The crash on this file goes as follows:
I go to ENGRAVE; double click the master page; change the boudaries of page 1; press “next page” (shortcut “END”)
And then dorico crashes all the time.
Dorico.exe.11652.zip (382 KB)
NLb 712.zip (176 KB)

Can you tell me what you mean exactly by “change the boundaries of page 1”?

Changing the music frame. Making it bigger or smaller.

I’m unable to reproduce your crash, but I have asked our developers to take a look at the crash log and see if we can see any obvious defect that we can repair.

I am not able to get the half bar pickup bar in this file in flow NLb 776. Is it my computer or doesn’t it work for you either?
wrong half pickup bar.zip (447 KB)

I’m not sure what problem you’re having, but a half-bar pick-up for 6/8 should work if you type “6/8,3” into the meter popover.