Organteq with Dorico

I’ve made an expression map for Organteq so that I can easily change manuals and add/remove stops from the music in Dorico — here it is in action! It’s also attached to this post. (I know this piece wouldn’t normally be played with such registration, but it’s fun to play with!)

I created a playing technique for each manual, and defined them as the Absolute Channel change switches in the expression map. In the score, I add these techniques to a voice to change its manual. Sometimes I hide the indication and replace it with a bracket.

For each of the 40 stops and 6 couplers, I created two playing techniques, one for on and one for off. In the expression map, I assigned each pair to a mutual exclusion group, and they are defined as add-on switches that send 127 and 0, respectively, on the stop/coupler’s corresponding CC. In the score, I add these playback techniques to the Pedal staff and hide them, and add an appropriate text item to the correct staff. This is necessary because the manual staves can change channel, which can cause undesirable retriggering of on/off techniques. The pedal channel is invariable. The popovers for these techniques are like “+p5” which means “Add Positif Drawknob #5”, or “-g2” for “Remove G.O. Drawknob #2”, so they’re pretty quick to add and remove by looking at the Organteq UI — much easier than entering CC data by hand!

Combination pistons are also mapped — they are all in a single mutual exclusion group and trigger different values on CC 3. In the score, they show up as circled numbers. I would also put a nat. immediately before to cancel out all prevailing stop modifiers. (Maybe I could just put all of the combination pistons in each mutual exclusion group?)

Cheers :slight_smile:
organteq-dorico.zip (765 KB)

7 Likes

Well done Jester, must have taken you ages! I’ve been thinking of getting Organteq so this will be very useful.

Thank you Jester for sharing your expression map.
In order to make your fugue example work you will also need to provide us with a midi mapping, including action mapping and keyboard mapping, on the Organteq side (a .ptm file). Isn’t that right?

It seems something isn’t quite right here.

I created an organteq side mapping that matches the expression map (Recit drawbars on CC41-49, for instance), and I can get that to work, BUT, the expression map doesn’t work with the channel changing. For instance, if any of the “Base” techniques (Manual I-Manual III) are active the CCs don’t actually work. I can see on the Playing Technique line that Dorico thinks the combation is active, but the CCs are not being sent.

You can put manual changes on the manual staves, but put all stop changes on the Pedal staff, because that channel doesn’t change from Base. I should update my zip file with a working Organteq template, too.

So after a bit more expirimentation, it seems that the CCs in Organteq are listening on a specific channel, (e.g Channel 1) but Dorico is SENDING them on the channel of whichever manual is active. This is…not ideal. Any work around?

Try this ptm file. Make sure you have independent voice playback on, and that you have enough channels assigned for the number of voices, and only place stop changes on the pedal staff.
Dorico with stops.zip (949 Bytes)

Ok, yes, writing the stop changes on the pedal staff does indeed work.

One tweak I found nessesary was in the Playback Option Overrdies to reduce the Legato Duration to something under 100%. Else if you have two successive notes of the same pitch under a slur essentially only get the first note - the note isn’t rearticualted, since it’s already held down, but then is abruptly cut off slightly after the 2nd note starts, as the note off from the first note fires. I find a value of 98% seems to work ok.

For anyone that needs it, here is the Organteq-]side mapping to go with this map
Four keyboards (dorico).zip (629 Bytes)

Thank you, TylerE, for your fine work! I have installed Organteq yesterday and (nearly) everything works right. There is one thing which confuses me: Normal playback is OK, but when I select a single note it is sometimes played back, somtimes not. For instance, the first phrase from bar 1 on is played back on Récit as it should. But when I select the first note, the GUI of Organteq shows a G on the GO-Manual but there is no sound (as there is no stop drawn).
On the other hand: Clickin the F in bar 6 there is no sound but clicking the d in voice 1 down-stem it sounds correctly.
Can you (or somebody else) this explain to me?

This has been extremely helpful. I wrote to Modardtt a number of times. No responses at all. Your downloads led me to understanding the Midi workings behind Organteq. Perhaps I’ll make a video to learn it even more thoroughly. Thank you all! Thank you! Thank you!

• Jeffrey Reid Baker

I´m hesitating with my new dorico and my new organteq (Nov 2022). The templates you post in this thread doesn´t work. And I don´t know anything about .ptm-file. Is it possible to post a brand new .zip for dorico 4 and organteq with the expression maps and so on? I appreciate that very much.

I’ve attached a ZIP file containing the playback template, Organteq MIDI mapping, as well as an example score.

To use the MIDI mapping (PTM file), in Organteq, click the button to the right of MIDI mapping button, select Browse… and it will open the directory where it stores MIDI mappings. Place the PTM file there. This will create a “Dorico with Stops” mapping which Organteq can use to translate the Dorico messages into organ actions.

In Dorico, you should be able to go to Playback Templates… > Import…, and select the Organteq.dorico_pt, and click Apply and Close. This should add an Expression Map, an Endpoint Configuration, and a bunch of Playing Techniques in the Keyboard section. You can then add an organ player, go to the Play tab, and carefully configure its routing:

• Turn on Independent Voice Playback for the organ player.
    • This will spawn a bunch of extra Organteq instances. Switch to VST Rack and delete them.
  • Click the gear on the remaining Organteq instance.
    • Set 6 MIDI channels, each with the Organteq expression map.
  • In Track Inspector, route each staff to the Organteq 1 instance with following channels:
    • Staff (a) upstem voice → Channel 1
    • Staff (b) upstem voice → Channel 2
    • Staff (c) upstem voice → Channel 3

If you add any additional voices, repeat the above: delete the extra plugin instance, route the staff to the correct one, and set it to a unique channel (4, 5, or 6).

For the playback to work correctly, remember to add G. P. or R. playing techniques to each voice so that they play on the correct manual (shortcut: Shift+P, then “go” “pos” “rec”), and only place stop changes or combination pistons on the Pedal staff.

Organteq_Dorico4.zip (1.1 MB)

7 Likes

Hi Jester, you are great. Thank you very much for your help. With your detailed description it works. If you are in D.C. come along for a huge coffee!

1 Like

Thank you, Jester, for your zip file and clear instructions on how to get Organteq working in Dorico. I adore organ music but have no experience playing the instrument and am enough of a technophobe to have for a long time put off attempting to get Organteq or any other virtual organ functional in Dorico. I have so far only played with the Bach Fugue you included in the zip file but look forward to using Organteq with other of my own files and consider myself lucky indeed to have people like you helping me get the most out of Dorico!

2 Likes

I have just finished my first file using Organteq and it has mostly gone well but I haven’t sorted out how to activate a second pedal voice. The first voice on pedal doesn’t have to be labelled (unlike voices for the manuals) but when I add a second pedal voice it remains silent even after I assign it to the Organteq VST and give it a unique channel. Then, if I try add a pedal identifier as a playing technique and call it “ped” or “pedal”, Dorico thinks I want a piano sustain pedal. Is there another pedal voice identifier I should be using?

I think you might be good if you just set the extra pedal voice to channel 3

If that doesn’t work (it might cause some issues with stops), you can create a duplicate of Manual III’s playback technique, expression map entry (set to channel 3), and playing technique, hook them up together, and add it to the pedal staff and hide it.

Thanks. I will try that in the morning.

(I currently have 9 voices in my endpoint setup and voice 2 of the pedal staff is set to channel 8 or 9—I’m not at my Dorico computer to check—while channel 3 is set to one or other of the Récit or Grand Orgue voices. The additional voices for the manuals have not presented a problem.)

Actually, there’s one other thing you could do instead of what I posted above: in Organteq, click MIDI Mapping > Keyboard Mapping. Then click Insert to add a new keyboard mapping, and set it to Pédale and the channel you’ve set the extra voice to in Dorico.

Yes, that did it—many thanks!