OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & Cubase 7/7.5?

Hi all,

Updated to Yosemite yesterday. UA Apollo DUO user here with the latest UAD software. The UAD plugs are not playing very nice (upon opening and closing any plugin the GUI goes black and freezes). Recording is also giving some trouble with a lot of weird glitches and artefacts happening - although this is intermittent, only happens after the session has been open for some time and is fixed by closing and re-opening the session.

Overall, wouldn’t recommend updating just yet. Approximately how long would the waiting time for a compatible update be? I’m aware 7.5.30 is quite recent.

Hi all. Maybe i’m lucky, because all SB apps are working perfectly well in my iMac under OSX Yosemite.
Currently i have Cubase Elements 7.0.7, Cubase 7.0.7, Cubase 7.5.30, Wavelab LE7, Wavelab Elements 8.0.3 and Wavelab 8.5.1, all runing on an iMac early 2008, with Core2 Duo, 4 Gb of RAM, and an 1 TB HDD. Hardware is a Presonus Audiobox and MIDI is an M-Audio Keystation 88es. This is my “home” setup, and installed all the Steinberg software in order to run tests on the OSX Yosemite.
The difference between this setup and another one i’ve tried earlier this week, is that in this machine (the iMac) i’ve been updating/upgrading the OSX and all the software since OSX Tiger (10.4). On a new machine, with a clean install of Mavericks and the update to Yosemite, there were errors and things not going so weel.
So IMO, with these tests (runnig tests since last friday…), a machine that comes from “older” updates/upgrades can go fine, a new machine that relies only in “new” OS’s, there are problems.
I say this because i’ve been reading about a lot of errors with SB software, and in this particular machine, never had one… (well a video card related one, but that’s not SB, it’s this “old” iMac… :confused: )
Also on the Win 7 side, Cubase and all the others run fine, including the problem with the Hub and the Win update…
Hope it can help someone! :slight_smile:

My testing. None of my software is yet supported, cubase 7.5, superior drummer, komplete 8 and waves. Im using mac pro 2012. Cubase starts up with a message new audio hardware discovered everytime, (mine being saffire pro 40). It will ask for locating some halion and loopmash files everytime. From there on everything seems to be normal. Waves wlc dont connect to the cloud, but seems to be working using the USB guide found elsewere. SD and kontakt is working. I wont do any project on yosemite yet ofcourse, other than testing this and that

Try Cubase 6.5 and let me know because works great for me… :confused:

Aloha h,
and thanks for the report.

I use much of the same soft gear (sup drums, NI and waves)
so mahalo to you for ‘blazin’ the trail’. :slight_smile:

Still on hold here.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

• OSX 10.10 - Final. Clean install (not upgraded 10.9)
    iMac 27-inch, Mid 2010 2.93 GHz/i7, 16 GB Ram, ATI HD 5750 1024 MB + Secondary display HP ZR2440w 1920 x 1200
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, with it’s latest drivers/mix console
    CMC AI controller
    Cubase 7.5.3 in 64bit mode

Got random crashes. Cubase just disappears when using the mixer on the secondary display. Tried with single display, crashes again. Used it for simple 6 tracks recordings with no external plugins at all. It happened on old and new projects.
This never happened on Mavericks, so i am now back to 10.9 and got 0 issues there. Waiting for official support for 10.10.

update to my earlier post.

My first testing was on a new partition with a clean install of Yosemite (with some bugs in the startup of cubase). I have now installed yosemite on my main system (knowing Cubase is not yet supprted) since im between projects at this time. The saffire pro 40 is now supproted and works normally, superior drummer works normally, waves are now supported and works normally, NI komplete is supported and works (so far) normally, however, i still use a Midisport 4x4 which worked normally at first on both installations but now dont work. (im reading that this is due to the new signingthing of software in yosemite). Cubase seems to be normal on my system, but as I said, i havent recorded any big project on yosemite yet. (or plan to).

Everything working just fine here after updating via app store. Loving Yosemite. Very slick.

Thanks Steve…are you running this on both of your MBPs? I don’t recall your specific models and age. I’ve got a mid-2010 with 8GB and am awaiting the official Steinberg blessing but am glad you’re having success. Not sure why the delay with Steinberg…most other vendors seem to have their products approved for 10.10.

What did you update? There is no update for Yosemite released yet and Cubase is not sold via AppShop.

Has any of you who has tested Yosemite fallen foul of the fatal Bluetooth bug?

I installed Yosemite on my 6-week old MacBook Pro in which I had already installed Cubase Elements 7. I hadn’t used Cubase until yesterday, when I installed Presonus FireStudio Project software (Universal Control and Studio One). Cubase couldn’t ‘find’ Presonus. I still have my previous computer, a mid-2007 MacBook running OS 10.7.5 which has Cubase Elements 6 installed in it. Today, I installed the Presonus FireStudio Project software into it. Cubase ‘found’ it and I can work with it. So, I’d like to use Cubase Elements 7 in that older computer which can handle it. However, Steinberg won’t let me install it into that computer without first uninstalling it from my new computer. That is very onerous, esp. given that I can do work in Cubase 7 without having to use the FireStudio; I’d like to use Cubase 7 in my new computer as well as with FireStudio in my older computer. Is anyone aware of a work-around to this problem/policy?

I think that, under the circumstances - being that Steinberg recommends not to install Yosemite, it would be appropriate to allow us Mac users to run the latest Steinberg products on our older computers as well as on our new ones, until Steinberg can figure out how to make its products compatible with Yosemite.

There may be a workaround for this. I don’t use Cubase Elements, but I do use WaveLab Elements and I do believe that the same applies to both. The Elements versions lets you use a soft eLincenser as well as hardware key.

So, buy a hardware eLinenser dongle (they don’t cost much. USB-eLicenser | Steinberg) and transfer your license on to it. Now you can move between as many computers (Mac or PCs) as you like. Just move the dongle.

Note that you don’t need to transfer the license for Elements v6. If you have a License for v7, on the eLicenser dongle. you’re authorized to run any version number below this aswell.

I installed Cubase 7.5 in Yosemite, and it works well, but the installer for Halion Sonic SE 2 won’t accept the operating system. I used the Steinberg App installer to install Cubase, but it doesn’t find the Halion Sonic SE 2 install… Even though the installer is mounted.
Do anyone else have the same issue? Thx, C

Did you install from dics or from images? Which App Installer did you use? The one on the discs/images don’t work. You’ll need to download this one: http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/content_and_accessories/content_and_accessories_sait.html

I downloaded the iso images, mounted both and ran the Steinberg Yesmite installer app. As far as I can tell, everything installed correctly.

I’m running the new Retina 27" iMac which came predelivered with Yosemite, installed it with the given installer - but I constantly get crashes when export my audio - I can output around 3 separate WAV/MP3 files (we do voice overs) before it crashes and I go back in again and do the same.

When is there going to be a stable version for Yosemite ? This is our workhorse program, and I’m loathe to switch.

Watch this space:

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

Official or not, working great here on my everyday projects.

Better then mavericks though getting an official tweak in 7.5.4 would be preferable in the long run.

Best regards,

Hi all. Had a working Cubase 7 under Mavericks. Cloned my old drive to my new SSD, then swapped the drives so my SSD is the master. Upgraded the SSD to Yosemite in place. My system runs fine, with some exceptions. However Cubase has problems with timing glitches causing clicks in playback (of an existing project). Also, while recording a vocal track, Cubase frequently stops recording even though the song is still playing.

I wish I had seen the Steinberg “WAIT” announcement before I eagerly jumped onto Yosemite. I’m adding my comment here to (I hope) be notified when the Cubase 7 update is ready.

Thanks all,
-Tony

And by sharing your experience; to warn other users to be careful
and perhaps wait a bit.

Tanx Tony for the post.
{‘-’}