Paolo's miscellaneous individually posted Dorico Pro 4 crash reports

In Play mode, you can’t scroll the tracks with the Up/Down keys. This would be very useful when quickly browsing through the tracks to check them, and to do repetitive tasks in the inspector.

As it is now, you have to first move the mouse pointer on the track, click on it, return to the parameter you are editing in the inspector. Very carpal-tunnel-syndrome ready!

Paolo

Not exactly a crash, but I have to quit to exit this situation.

The Jump bar remains in the display, after I’ve explored a few of commands with it. I can press Esc, click anywhere, select a command, change mode, but it remains open.

Is there some further information that can help tracking this issue?

Paolo

This has already been reported.

could you possibly link to the post where this has been reported? I’ve had the same problem.

I typed Jump bar in the search field and it was the second result…

1 Like

I looked and didn’t find the result. Obviously I must have accidentally started from the wrong place — I can certainly see it now and Daniel has provided a reasonable explanation.

When the Hub opens, it is moved to the latest position of a document window. Since documents are usually placed starting from the top left corner, this moves the Hub all on a side. Its most comfortable position should be at the center of the display.

I guess that the remembered Hub position should be separate from that of the documents.

Paolo

The reason I use the Key Editor is because I can adjust the start and end of a note in an absolutely free way. No snapping, no grid quantizing.

With Dorico 4 I can no longer avoid the notes to start back at the original position. According to the video tutorial, this should be still possible. What am I doing wrong?

Paolo

you need to change the highlighted icon at the top of the Key Editor to the playback icon length shown in the attached. The default is the two keys which is the notated length and thus quantised.

I don’t think this is the case. As you can see in the video, I was already in the right edit mode (the one with the two different lines in the note bar). So, it must be something different.

And I confirm it is continuing to behave this way, even with the Key Editor quantize set at the lowest value.

Paolo

your videoclip above my post doesn’t show the top toolbar so I had no way of knowing what your setting is. But if it’s right – which looks to be the case – I have no further suggestions at present, I’m afraid but will certainly look out for any odd behaviour and post if I find anything.

1 Like

(I’m moving this latest question to a new thread, since it is not a crash)

With Dorico Pro 4 (Mac Mojave) I had a crash that happened quite often with v3.5.10. I had been entering notes and techniques in an orchestral score in Write mode. When touching a note, Dorico “vaporized” with no crash dialog.

All I could get is a diagnostic report from the subsequent relaunch.

Paolo

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (849.3 KB)

The single crash dump included in that set of diagnostics appears to have occurred after you right-clicked to show the context menu. Unfortunately the crash is in macOS code, so I can’t see what’s actually happening.

1 Like

I’ve been having a series of crashes while working to a VEP template. I suspect most of the crashes happened while Dorico and VEP were synchronizing their data.

I’m attaching the process sampling for both crashed apps (Dorico and VSTAudioEngine).

Paolo

crash sampling.zip (55.9 KB)

I still have very frequent crashes when switching between Play and Write. This is a report grabbed after one of these. There is no particular pattern that I can recognize.

Paolo

dorico4-crash-when-switching-mode.txt.zip (27.8 KB)

Yes, we know that users on Mac are experiencing crashes when switching window mode. So far we have been unable to reproduce this issue in-house and so at the moment we are at a loss for how to fix it, but we are actively investigating it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately this issue is still in version 4.0.20. Maybe even worse than ever. Is some spindump or crash log still useful to investigate on it?

Paolo

Unfortunately no crash log you can provide will tell us anything other than that the problem is still occurring. At the moment we are stalled in looking into this problem and don’t know how to proceed.

I’m trying to assemble and simplify my huge VSL template, but the spinning wheel is happening nearly everytime I select one of the players to assign it to a VSTi.

I’ve assigned each section to a different flow. Each family of sounds goes to a different instance in Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 (VEP). I have over 100 VSTi (all VEP), automatically created while assembling the project, that I would like to simplify.

Attached there is a spindump from Dorico and VST AE while the wheel is spinning. Dorico frozen and consuming nearly no CPU, VST AE using very high CPU. Sometimes Dorico gets out of the freeze, sometimes not.

EDIT: I must add that the spinning wheel also happens when VEP is not running. VST AE is probably trying to communicate with it.

EDIT2: Restarting the Mac doesn’t solve this issue.

Paolo

dorico and vstae while exploring vsti.zip (117.0 KB)