Parenthesised trill notes.

Daniel, how will Dorico deal with the parenthesised trill notes? Will it be an easy way to input them or it will be a tedious workaround as it is with Sibelius or Finale? Djuro

Dorico doesn’t have any support for these yet (you can’t make stemless notes, or indeed parenthesised notes). When we implement them, we plan to do so in a way that will hopefully not require any tedious workarounds.

Is there any way to enther these anyway? Including the transposing ability? No need for the playback.

I’m afraid not yet, because, as I say, we have neither parenthesised noteheads nor stemless notes. The only way to do it for now would be to use text objects, which is definitely not ideal.

Could you elaborate on how you might fake a parenthesized trill note with text, even though I realize it’s kind of crazy? I tried creating a text object using Bravura, but it doesn’t seem to use the font for display.

You’d have to use Bravura Text rather than Bravura, and you’d need to be able to input Unicode code points; I wrote up some details about how to type arbitrary Unicode code points in the Bravura Text documentaton.

And you’d then have to drag the text items around in Engrave mode, as you can’t move them in Write mode, and they don’t yet avoid collisions with things, which might in this specific case actually be an advantage.

Has this feature been implemented in Dorico?
It is the very basic notation. The trill notes should be of any size, of any stem (even invisible), any number.
They must include: spacing ability and transposition ability.

Unfortunately auxiliary notes for trills have not yet been implemented in Dorico, but we do plan to implement them in future.

But it is worth noting that auxiliary accidentals are included for trills and mordents. In the Properties panel at the bottom of the screen, click on the trill or mordent and increase the “Interval” setting. This is extremely convenient, and as far as I know not implemented in Sibelius or Finale.

I have the same problem. As Daniel recommanded it in an other topic about trills, I did specify notes with text using Shift+X (D#, B…) and then moved it under the trill symbol in the Engrave mode.
Obviously we can do the job using the text workaround. But it definitely could be very cool to be able to type directly the note in an alternative text window in the properties panel. :wink:

I think this is not the way. As a professional musician, I CAN study that score and perform it, but I have never seen it as a standard way. All notes should be entered as notes not as texts (except chords in jazz, or generalbaß).
So, I recommend not to do that.

It is found in both programs many years back.

Parenthesised trill notes are the standard in western notation, and it is pity that none of the currently available software can project them as such, without workarounds.

Ed-222, I think when Daniel recommended using text, he simply meant using the text tool (shift+x). With that approach, you can achieve the original request. You just need to copy and paste a few characters from Bravura into the text box and then mess with the font size and baseline shift until it’s all to your liking. Also, make sure to set the character style to music text.
Trill.JPG

How to do that with the ledger lines?

Use another voice, displace them horizontally, scale them.

If it helps, you can create stemless notes in Engrave mode by clicking the stem and reducing it into notehead. This works well for me at the moment.

For ledger lines, an underscore works… It’s a bit of a hassle, so hopefully you won’t need that many, but it works, and these things do copy and paste, so if you have the same one several times, that’s no problem.
ledger lines.JPG

Alternatively, steveparker’s idea works rather well, especially if you use grace notes, which won’t throw anything off rhythmically, and you don’t have to fiddle with the note heads and especially not the ledger lines, just the parentheses.
grace notes.JPG

Well done.
If I may ask you another favor. I don’t own Dorico so I cannot check it in vivo. If you put a small value notes in the stave below, how does it affect the upper parenthesised notes? Do they stay firm? Or they are misplaced?
Appreciate your test.

It depends on which method you use to put in the noteheads.

My preferred method is putting all characters in as text. That way, everything stays locked relative to all the other characters, and you can attach it rhythmically to the beginning of the whole note and then just move it over in engraving mode. When you add small note values in other staves, the text block remains where it’s supposed to.

If you use grace notes for the noteheads, those do move (see attached pics). Luckily, in my tests, the parentheses moved along with them, which I wasn’t expecting, so that’s nice, but it might depend on where you’ve attached them rhythmically. One thing to note about this method is that the trill has to be made too long; otherwise, it won’t stretch past the grace notes. This means that when you add small note values to other staves, it might become obvious that you’ve stretched the trill too long (though this is adjusted easily enough in engrave mode).

If you use LSalgueiro’s method of putting the noteheads in in another voice, scaling them, and displacing them, unfortunately, at least in my test, adding additional notes in the lower staff does displace the small notes and also displaces the parentheses relative to those small notes. So unless you put this all in after everything else is already done, changing the music will likely require you to redo all the spacing.

So… yes, if you put everything in as text, things stay where they’re supposed to, the whole set is copy-and-paste-able, and you don’t have to cheat the trill length at all. If you need ledger lines, it takes an extra few minutes to get those in, but I think the result is worth it.
before - grace notes.JPG