Percussion Cue Headache

So I tried to be as creative as I could in coming up with a solution for this. There are 2 percussion parts and thankfully both include pitched instruments. However, this one passage in Percussion 1 needs a cue which comes out nicely, however, the composer wants the bass clef to be removed. I have tried making transparent and deleting it but nothing seems to make this bass clef go away. I understand that dorico is trying to tell me that the cue is in the timpani but the perc part is going from Wood Block to Bass Drum so I really don’t want to see the bass clef. I had to octave transpose the cue to make it look nice because otherwise I get two clefs next to each other. Is there anyway to hide this pesky bass clef?

You’re using an instrument change between a pitched instrument and a percussion kit, I guess? Is it really more helpful to hide the bass clef in that case? Bit odd to have a clarinet cue written in an unpitched clef? Or am I misunderstanding? (Entirely possible, especially today.)

No you’re right. I want to use the Clarinet treble clef from the cue. However, I have to enter the cue in a pitched instrument (the timpani) and the timpani is inflexible in changing the bass clef.

What about if you add a treble clef in the timpani at that point?

1 Like

That did work, thank you!

A related question, I think. I’m doing a project with a non-pitched percussion part in need of cues. I did some entry but don’t know how to get around the problem of “cue” (which I faked in the suggested way: add pitched instrument to player) clef ending up back before a multi-measure rest.

See below. The cue is in bar 40, followed by percussion in 41. I do actually want to see the treble clef for the cue but it’s on the other side of that big rest, which can’t be right. It should be just before 40. I experimented adding a little percussion to bar 39 and then sure enough the clef does appear just before bar 40. However there isn’t music in 39, I need to preserve that multi-measure rest. I tried different voices, I tried starting voices after the rest, attempted using Engrave to move things, nothing gets that treble clef to move to where it should be. Anybody know what’s going on? Thx

Also, how do I make a proper rest in bar 40 for the percussion? There should be a whole-bar rest just below the staff (I realize I should have the “cue” stems going up, sorry about the pic).

Realized I didn’t do that right, I wrote rather than cued in the added voice. That solves the missing perc whole-bar rest issue, my fault.

However the problem with the clef still happens, it’s before the multi-measure rest instead of before the cue bar (40).

Yes, the transition point and clef position is what it is until the Team gets around to updating it.

Ah, I found a nearly complete solution, works in my circumstance but may not in others. Bit obvious, I should have thought of it. I’m using a pitched instrument to add cues to the percussion part, so I simply went to galley view in the score and added a percussion clef to the beginning of the multi-measure rest at 33 (using alt-enter so it’s only on that staff). Back in the part, this at least moves the treble clef over to where it should traditionally be. It does of course create a visible immovable percussion clef at 33, but it’s at least the native to the part and, since I have a bunch of narrative to write in soon at the fermata bar 28, I could afford to break the system at 33. This leaves just the little precautionary clef at the end of 32 before the system break. It’s not bothersome, but I will just create a graphic slice later in my workflow of some empty stave with a barline at the end, just hide it with that. So, Dorico rides again!

P.S. to Daniel. I found this long, long thread on the subject of hiding cautionary clefs: hide cautionary clefs, keys and time signature …As I read what I could stand of it, it made me first want to commend you on your oceanic patience (jeez, people!). I get the architectural principles behind the reasons for flows and I too stand by it. (The last thing I wanted to do was wake the bear of that other thread so I hope I can pop this little point here.) This above situation of mine might perhaps be an example of a legitimate reason to want to hide a cautionary clef without needing to create a new flow, since situation exists in just one part of an ensemble. But of course I may be missing something still, and anyway one probably wouldn’t need to hide a cautionary clef like this if one could shift a clef they don’t want to see, or maybe just hide it, or scale it to 1 percent.

1 Like