Pizzicato playback not recognised (Note Performer)

Dorico has stopped recognizing “Pizz” markings on string parts. It used to work, and I’m not aware of having changed anything. I’m using NotePerformer; the problem goes away if I switch to the HSSE+HSO (Pro) playback template. How do I get NotePerformer pizzicato playback back?

First make sure you’re using the most up-to-date expression map for NotePerformer, which you can do by going to Play > Expression Maps, selecting the NotePerformer expression map from the list on the left-hand side, and clicking the “reset to factory” button.

Next to the Creator field there’s a version field. It should read 12.

Done that, and yes, it says 12. No difference in playback.

Can you attach the project here so we can take a look?

It’s 1.6 Mb - I’ll try to reproduce the issue in a smaller file when I get a moment. Watch this space.

Ok, I’ve tried creating a new project, and pizzicato playback is fine in it, so the problem is with the specific file, not Dorico in general. Rather than posting something so big to the forum - and before I’m happy to show it to the world :slight_smile: - should I raise a support ticket or is there someone at Dorico I could email it to?

The easy way to post a project here is to remove the audio data, i.e. choosing the silent playback template. If the project has copyright issue and cannot be shared online, try deleting everything except the part that exhibits the problem, or send it to Daniel or Ulf…

Is it possible there are other playing techniques used? For me, NP has some problems if there is more than one directive in play: mutes with sense vibrato - I have to remove the mute directive to get the non-vibrato to work. Perhaps there is something like that prior to your invoking the pizz?

(Fun fact: typing pizz. auto corrects to pizza. Is someone telling me it’s time for lunch?)

Sorry for the late response - I’ve been AFK for a couple of weeks (both sorts of keyboard). Unfortunately, if I delete the surrounding material, the problem goes away. No, there are no copyright problems, I would just have preferred not to go public until I’d proofread it and fixed all my embarrassing copyist blunders!

I can’t see how to upload a file here, so I’ve put it in a shared dropbox file: Dropbox - Pizzicato Problem.dorico - Simplify your life.

The problem manifests at bar 48.

I noticed the issue with NotePerformer that pizz does play back, but playing on the midi keyboard while in a pizz staff, is sounding legato.

That’s not the problem I have, Andre - it’s strictly playback of the Dorico file, even with no MIDI source plugged in.

Well, it’s not often I can correctly diagnose a problem, but today’s the day: it’s the con sord indication in bar 6. As I had indicated above, NP sometimes has trouble with two playing techniques. What puzzled me was that your violoncello basso does play the pizza; and it has no con sord direction. Remove those and the pizz does play.

Unrelated, there is an odd surge in dynamics at the downbeat of 47. Can’t figure that one out.

Ok, so 1 out of 2…

Hope that helps.

Insert an extra “nat.” playing technique immediately before the pizz. technique and that should take care of it. You can hide the “nat.” via Properties so that it doesn’t get printed for the player.

Thanks, R. Pearl and Daniel - yes, that fixes it. I wonder whether the composer also wanted the violoncello basso to be con sordino too, although the manuscript isn’t marked such.

I have been having the same problem, but as far as I can tell, it’s not a question of two playing techniques simultaneously. Just going between Arco and pizz. causes this problem. (I don’t think there are other playing techniques involved). When I insert the “nat.” it takes care of the problem, but that seems like a workaround. I didn’t have this problem before updating to Dorico 3. Is this a bug that will be ironed out, or is there something I am missing? Thanks!

If you’re using NotePerformer, try going to Play > Expression Maps, selecting the ‘NotePerformer’ expression map in the list, then click ‘Reset to Factory’ at the bottom of the dialog. This will update the NotePerformer expression map to the latest installed version.

I’m so sorry - I don’t see “Reset to Factory” at the bottom of the dialog I’m looking at. I see Reset to Library Defaults, Import Library, Export Library and Import Cubase Expression Map. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Sorry, Andrew, I do mean ‘Reset to Library Defaults’ rather than ‘Reset to Factory’.

Thank you very much!