Place fermata on SECOND note of a tied note?

How do I place a fermata on the SECOND note of a tied note? As in my screenshot, I’d like it to appear on m40:

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.27.13 PM

Double-click at the start of m40, then press shift-H and type pause or fermata followed by Enter.

If you type fer it will also work.

3 Likes

Thank you! It was tricky to figure out how to double-click at the start of m40 (every attempt ended up selecting the last quarter note of m39) but I eventually figured it out.

1 Like

Note that you can drag the fermata “after-the-fact”, by the grid, with your mouse!

2 Likes

Using the caret to determine the exact position of items you want to input applies to basically everything, not just fermatas and notes, e.g. dynamics.

2 Likes

I cannot work out what I’m doing wrong here. I add a fermata to the minim in the 2nd bar, and Dorico displays this:
Fermata (Default)

However, I want this:
Fermata (Wanted)

So - since the fermata is missing from the tied minim, I try the Shift-H method on the dotted minim of the 2nd bar - which results in this:
Fermata (Shift-H)

Can anyone please advise me how I can get the fermata(s) to appear as they do in the 2nd image (with correct playback)?

Dorico can in general only show one hold or pause at a given position (meaning a breath mark will “override” a fermata if you input them on the same beat).

It’s hard to say for sure without seeing the project and where they all attach to, but you should hopefully find that moving (rhythmically, in Write mode) the breath mark on the staff with the missing fermata to a different rhythmic position in that bar, prompts the fermata to appear?

Brilliant - thank you Lillie - is this mentioned anywhere in the manual (if it is, I didn’t spot it!)? Removing the breath mark caused the fermata to be displayed on the tied dotted minim. Would be nice if Dorico could handle more than one hold/pause on the same beat - but this will do for now.

Although I might review how information on this page and the previous one are distributed for clarity.

And as is the norm (for me, at any rate) - I found it stated in the manual shortly after posting my query - doh!