Play vs. Print Full Score

Hi,

With the goal of having a score that uses the right sounds, and one ready for print, do you think that having two parallel Full Score layouts could be a good idea? I’m experimenting this solution: the Play score may also contain the additional players needed for layering of special techniques, while the Print score only gets the players that will have to go to the final printed score.

Do you see any possible contraindications in managing these two parallel, cohabiting versions?

Paolo

Sounds like a good plan to me - the only problem I see is needing to duplicate players and therefore possibly losing changes in one or the other version

Thank you Ed. Am I wrong, or the only duplicate players would be the ones created to use layered sounds? While the other would continue to be shared between the Play and Print layouts? If so, I guess it would be only needed to hide the Play-only players from the Print layout, and everything else should remain unchanged.

Paolo

Do you even need two layouts? If your extra techniques are going to be hidden from view in the Print score (and parts), then just hide them.

Also, players that are hidden with Staff Visibility in System Breaks still play back.

ok, so no problem then :slight_smile:
benwiggy - ugh hiding stuff…

Ben, two separate issues here:

• Hidden techniques will simply be hidden. When hiding is not allowed, they can be made transparent.

• Great idea the one of using Manual Staff Visibility for hiding staves! I was not thinking hidden staves would continue to play.

My only concern is that in this way you will have to change visibility each time you have to edit the hidden staves. However, I guess this kind of switch can be inserted at the beginning of a piece, and be easy to control from there.

The two-layout system might still be a better option when layered players are many. And so: I wonder if there are other issues if going for the two-layer solution, like conflicting changes in the two layers.

Paolo

I know you are discussing Playing Techniques, which can of course be hidden, but just wanted to mention articulations cannot be hidden (or made transparent). If he wants to use articulations to affect playback instead of MIDI, there’s no way to hide them in the score. I’d love to have the ability to hide any element that can have an effect on playback.

While that’s an annoying omission, I’m solving it by creating text-based alternative playing techniques, and hide them. So, if a passage should be staccato, but the score would look better with a simile indication after the first two bars, I make the notes following simile fall under the hidden staccato playing articulations.

Paolo

1 Like

@Paolo_T hello,
There is a better solution, especially for Dorico - Expression Maps which allow multiple VI layering, multiple port and channel routing and also per-note expression routing. Once this is implemented into Dorico you’ll be able to assign articulations from multiple libraries to a single staff, or to layer two, or more libraries. I think this is more reasonable request.

We need to preserve the score as clear as possible! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Yes, I agree that I would prefer this way. Because we absolutely need to preserve a clean score!

Paolo