Playhead movement behavior during playback

During playback, the green playhead seems to move in 16th-note increments. Is there a setting, hidden or otherwise, to change this behavior, so that the playhead moves in other increments, say quarter notes, but where notated 16th notes still get “touched” by the playhead, similar to Notion’s behavior?

No, there are no options for the way the playhead advances. Can you say a little more about why you would favour a different approach, so I can understand your requirements better?

My reasoning is “80% educational” and “20% visual preference.”

From an educational perspective, it would be helpful to have the playhead moving at either a less complex increment (judging 8th notes to be less complex than 16th notes), or touching only the rhythms displayed.

From a visual preference, I can glean more information from a playhead that touches the notated rhythm. Even in multi-staff music, the playhead’s movement would tell me something about what’s happening rhythmically in other staves.

Take a look at Notion’s playhead movement. Below is an animated GIF. (It seems my video file won’t upload). The GIF should render its animation in a browser window.
Notion Playhead Behavior.gif
Other what I’ve written, I have no real rational defense for this other than it “makes more sense to me” (It’s more intuitive.) for the playhead to move like this.

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll think about it, though I can’t make any promises.

An interesting concept, but I think (perhaps from habit) I prefer the smoothly moving playback cursor we have now.

It’s not a big problem at all, but I find this a little bit disturbing too (but in another way), I would prefer even a more continuous movement (not every 32nd notes).

Is there a way to make it moves continuously in the new releases? (still using Dorico 3.5 but I’m planning an upgrade)

Thanks!

See this post. Unfortunately, there has been no change in this since Dorico 4 was introduced.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply and link, @johnkprice

See this post for a Dorico project which demonstrates how to make Dorico 4 or 5 appear to advance the playhead more than once per eighth note.

1 Like

Thanks!!