Please include automation lanes in track versions

It seems like such an obvious thing for automation lanes to be included in track versions that I thought I must be doing something wrong…but nope! This will really save a lot when we want to automate filter sweeps, and test different ideas.

2 Likes

+1
Forgive me for repeating the same text below I put a number of times now.
Many things point towards how useful an extension of Trackversions could be - good idea.

Quite a bit of good thinking in Sonar on this matter - MIxrecall.
You can even have different plugins in different MixRecalls that are saved.
And there are checkboxes what to include so you get it on a level that suits you - plugins, automation and so forth.
The only thing remaining is clips on tracks - that are the same.

I did an experiment with Waves NLS to see which console I liked better, and different positions.
MIxRecall is perfect for this kind of learning process as well - what does different console emulations do to a mix.

In Cubase maybe extend Trackversions with options what to include would be swell - now being only clips on tracks.
That be true track versions on the level you choose.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

I hope that this comes with Cubase Pro 10.

+1!

+1

It seems super popular request, so I’d add +1.
The thing is not only to try different automations, which would be incredible option. Also when you try new version you can easily lose your previous automation curve - without mention it, before it’s too late.

+1

definitely +1

+1 of course

+1 this is great

This is one of the reasons why I have a separate CC MIDI track on which I record the automation data. I know this isn’t a solution, but I thought I would provide my workaround.

I never use write in the recording process, only later in mixing. So I have a CC Track for every signal chain. It has a filter on which only allows CC and Program Change data onto the track. Not only does this allow an easy to use separation of the “automation”, you get full CC control over any plugin. If you need more than 8 quick controls you would have to do this anyway.

So if you were performing and recording, and you engaged some sweep, you can then just send the CC track to another, and see how the sweep sounds there.

And of course, it is saved in track versions. I have every recorded track in a kit set up with key commands that will version the lot together, and can switch through versions as well. Though, to be honest, that is more mouse click work, so when it comes to only the automation, you can just select a different take, and that seems to work much better.

I hope this helps, if so, and you need more info or clarification, drop me a PM.