"Please switch to an Aero theme" on Win 7 (discussion)

Enterprise magnetic drives with 4k clusters instead of 1024k clusters work much better than “traditional” magnetic disks on a supporting OS.

Many thanks!
Now everything is running as it should.
And, I´m getting more and more inspired off the new GUI, great!
Pete :slight_smile:

Wow,

Lots of collective wisdom here from some usual suspects who seem to think they have it all worked out technically.

I’d like to see their qualified and quantifiable data on the advantages of Aero in a DAW environment , should be easy enough for them as it has to be so blatantly obvious that offloading the GUI directly to the GPU instead of caching momentarily to the CPU would be an advantage , No ?

Awesome in theory, not necessarily in practice, and I have experience across 100’s of professional installations, across multiple DAW applications , where performance when taken to the nth degree has been rock solid under Basic , and quite simply better performance over all at lower latencies where most of clients prefer to work.

Having said that its obvious Steinberg have done some major reworking of the GUI that directly requires the desktop composition component , all good as long as its not detrimental to the over performance and stability, so it is something that any of us staying on Windows 7 need to navigate , and hopefully it will be a smooth transition for most. I have personally not had any issues switching to Aero on my development systems to do some testing and qualification of C8PRO , but I would never dismiss and belittle those that are having to navigate a few curves.

Anything over and above requiring desktop composition to be active is going to be a minefield, and there are already reports of end users with modern GPU’s with Aero active still needing to navigate further curves simply to launch C8 , one report being of having to revert a setting that Steinberg support had specifically told the end user - to disable desktop composition at a lower level to improve performance , kind of flies in the face of the ranting happening here with the tech gurus I have to say .

In short, all I see here is a few in a circle jerk shouting down and being extremely offensive to anyone who isn’t falling into line , what ever line that is, not that it is overly surprising considering what this space has become.

Yes, HSA is the future, look it up:

Heterogeneous System Architecture

As Freddie said, AMD developed AERO and we’ve been doing this with UAD for years anyway and no amount of IT excellence in the field can counter the technical might of established corporations vested in the development of computing applications and systems.

This thread should never have been moved to the lounge section because this is a serious matter. It was a blatant attempt to hide it.

Check out the benchmark test for Nuendo with Aero “there is definitely a resource hit when using Aero.” Most people know this!

http://www.dawbench.com/blofelds-xp-v-vista.htm

You are talking about usage on what amounts to a now Legacy albeit supported system.

With Windows 8.1 now reaching maturity, I doubt very much you will obtain much sympathy in regard to the system requirements of Cubase, particularly when they require something native to the underlying OS.

I don’t like the fact that Steinberg no longer supports Windows 7.

Steinberg do support Cubase 8 running on Windows 7.

It is simply the nature of micro computing that a situation such as this arises once in a year or two (or more).

When SB drop support, it is firstly for legacy OS dependent components or applications; secondly it is for customer service in terms of application support notwithstanding later OS versions.

You are telling people to buy Windows 8 even though Windows 10 is about to be released. That is stupid. Windows 7 is hardly a legacy software.

Don’t quote me on accuracy but in a few months with a new Windows coming out I think things will move on quite fast. Major CPU changes are also on the way.
Might be worth taking note that software developers are ahead of us, the consumer, by a considerable margin and that they well be burning some old bridges as they move on. Some of those bridges will be considered not that old compared to past advances in the technology.
To me the current just seems to be moving faster at the moment. They do still support Windows 7, just but it won’t be long I think. Even Microsoft are leaving W7 a little in the dust.
All I see about Windows 8/8.1 is that it lacks an obvious Start button but it can be made to boot to a W7 desktop and the other (touchscreen) part can largely be ignored after a short set up. That and W8 is cheap.
Cosmetically they are not too different to each other from the user’s perspective.
It also gets me used to the time when the laptop and the desktop die and we all use tablets and wireless boxes. Three to five years? Already happening to the live stage at low level events.

That will never happen. It will just get way more expensive to buy a real computer.

You wouldn’t think so but… See my previous post. But nobody’s telling you to change (well not me). Just advising. Because it’s not up to US what is “legacy” or not. Vista was “legacy” pretty much since birth even though, as a sickly baby, it hung on. AS I remember XP rendered W7 pre “legacy” from the off. NOBODY wanted to use W7. Maybe, from a developers view, they still don’t.

Back to the Atari then? (they said it was the future. nah!) Tablets and wireless boxes are already cheap. So are computers. The new phones are more powerful than most of our computers. In a year or so you’ll not see a mixing desk at a bar room gig. Tablets are already used (together with trusty wifi mixing desks backup) at larger gigs. And those little tablet PAs can record those gigs using any DAW software.
Don’t quite know how composers and remixers etc. will go about it but being creative they’ll batten on Steinberg to find a way.

ps: Computers will get cheaper and smaller but those little connection boxes are where the money will be made.

Phones are not as powerful as computers. Tablets are not as powerful and they cost way more. I surely hope that Steinberg will never divert their attention and develop Cubase for iPhone.

I know what it is and I know the theory behind why its ( supposedly) advantageous, what I am asking from those of you in the attack circle is to show me evidence past the theory in DAW usage , where if it was so blatantly advantageous, there would be quantifiable data.

As Freddie said, AMD developed AERO and we’ve been doing this with UAD for years anyway and no amount of IT excellence in the field can counter the technical might of established corporations vested in the development of computing applications and systems.

I’m sorry , is Freddie the resident technical authority, I must have missed that in the mix , and " we at UAD" meaning what, you work for UAD ?

So your argument is now that Windows 7 is now a legacy albeit supported system, then simple, Steinbeg could of got off the pot and enforced the shift to Windows 8* , but we all know that would have been suicidal for them.

And you should not assume that the majority will be making the shift away from Windows 7 any time soon , nor that anyone who doesn’t isn’t technically proficient.

So can any of you show me some quantifiable and qualified data where non Aero systems are falling into a smouldering heap ( as some of you keep implying ) , or even a clear performance advantage under DAW usage , or are you just going to continue circling without bringing anything to the table ?

Simple enough, download DAWbench DSP/VI , select any workable latency that you desire, flick off ASIO Guard to place the system under more extensive load, and show me some data for Cubase 7 and 8, we can compare notes later. Judging by your rhetoric the basic powered systems in Cubase 7.* should be falling into a heap comparatively.

TechBytes,

I trust the developers so that is enough for me.

I read a great amount of technical documentation which is why I arrived at HSA.

As for the resident technical expert(s), if the company need to comment there is a developer who can address the concerns of end users if need be.

Regarding legacy vs supported systems, it is not in the interests of the company to arbitrarily abandon a supported (Microsoft) system. When I say UAD, I mean audio professionals of which I am not sure you are one.

On a side note there is no “non aero” system unless you are using XP, which is by definition unsupported so there is therefore no requirement to answer.

Good for you, I prefer to trust my personal experience and those of my professional clients.

As for the resident technical expert(s), if the company need to comment there is a developer who can address the concerns of end users if need be.

Who would that be ?

When I say UAD, I mean audio professionals of which I am not sure you are one.

Not sure if that was an anaemic attempt at a slur , if so you need to do a bit better.

On a side note there is no “non aero” system unless you are using XP, which is by definition unsupported so there is therefore no requirement to answer.

A Win7 system running under basic is a Non Aero system, lets keep our eye on the ball, eh.

So do you have any quantifiable data , or are you going to continue circling ?

If you don’t know then you can’t have been “circling” in these forums for long.

A Win7 system running under basic is a Non Aero system, lets keep our eye on the ball, eh.

Aero is the default option in Windows 7 and cannot be disabled.

Please bear in mind that this is the lounge, and by definition discussions are general in nature so any specific issues about software must be placed in the correct (issues) sub-forum.

Says a guy registered in December 2013 .

These forums are for the greater part a total waste of time and energy, but I was a very active member in the past on all of the earlier incarnations of the forums going back to the 90’s, but thats not the point, it seems you can’t answer a simple question.

Aero is the default option option in Windows 7 and cannot be disabled.

Did you seriously just type that, and you want to question my professionalism and/or technical abilities ?

Please bear in mind that this is the lounge, so place any specific issues in the correct (issues) sub-forum.

I’m sorry, are you a moderator now , has this commentary now some how exceeded the bounds of what is allowed ?

I don’t have an issue past watching some of the usual suspects acting as Steinbergs attack dogs , but not bringing anything to the table to support their hyperventilating past more attacks.

Show me the data !

As per login screen:

“In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased capabilities. The board administrator may also grant additional permissions to registered users. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board”.

I am not a Moderator otherwise the color of my screen name would be different from Members and I have not been afforded additional capabilities other than what I afford to myself as a user of the software.

As for this subject, I think you will find that indeed Aero cannot be disabled since there is no button, check box or option that allows for outright disabling of the said functionality.