"Please switch to an Aero theme" on Win 7 (discussion)

Selecting the “Basic” theme in Windows 7 does indeed get you out of Aero.

So from what you have just said, using Basic or Classic theme is incompatible with Cubase 8.

If so one wonders where the bug might lie, or what dependencies might exist that deem Cubase unworkable in that particular environment.

Yes indeed.
Start Cubase 8 on Windows 7 with Aero on. While Cubase 8 is running, switch to the basic theme. What happens?

PS. Wasn’t this the whole reason this thread was started?

I don’t know, It’s been lounged so anything is possible within the realms of common decency.

Put it this way, as anyone who uses or has used Windows 7 would know it can be a very good OS for numerous purposes but it has been superseded by better technology namely Windows 8.1 and something I have repeated a number of times is GPT volume support, which has been present on the Mac for a number of years so it is quite likely that the situation has been engineered or at least an accident has occurred that will be fixed with a future update.

Saying that though, no one should expect an official comment in the Lounge so whoever has the nous or courage; submit an issue to the Mods.

I have tried it, you lose all the menus and it crashes out , no sneaky way around it unfortunately.

Re GPT - GPT volumes are supported on Windows 7 x64 , the only restriction is for booting ( requires UEFI ) , the same restriction applies to Windows 8 , but no issue using GPT for regular volumes. I have been using it for years on RAID volumes exceeding 2TB , I have no idea why I am even bothering to state that as anyone who is even remotely versed in Windows should know that already !

Windows 7 formats 1024kb logical clusters in case you weren’t aware so is dead-in-the-water technology.

I sure does indeed :slight_smile: I just had to try :laughing:

Absolutely correct (very much highlighted by MS when Win7 were launched).

And yes, I am remotely versed in Windows (MCITP) :wink:

PS. Too many self acclaimed IT-experts on this forum (and a bunch of great cut’n’paste linking fellows).
I haven’t been here for about a year, and everything is still the same :smiley:

Yeh, I hear ya Mate , its been a lot longer for me, I barely frequent this incarnation of the forums which started on a downward spiral, and seems to have got even worse, sadly.

I don’t tend to agree with some of the assertions imparted in this thread since many (other) forum members have invaluable tips and information, which is why I come here in the first place.

Netiquette rule no. 1.

Don’t demand information when you can only back up assertions with mere factoids of data

Netiquette rule no. 2.

Don’t brag about your credentials

With this in mind I hereby vote to close this thread before it becomes personal since unless someone can adequately point out the actual problem(s), then I respectfully request for irrelevant banter and chatter to cease.

P.S. These are ethics that I try to live by when using this forum and in no way do I infer the above to be official forum rules

Aero Glass Theme Will Be Coming To Windows 10 As Well!

http://microsoft-news.com/aero-glass-theme-will-be-coming-to-windows-10-as-well/

:black_medium_small_square:Aero Glass for Win10 is under development.
The original Windows 8 release “non glass look” were awful compare Windows 7 AERO glass.
After demand from the majority public, Microsoft brings AERO glass back include the “start” menu.

Good post, so how do you get to Metro if the Start Menu has returned?

Metro includes in the Start menu and runs in windows desktop as Metro apps. The new thing is in Windows 10 that you don’t need to use Metro in “full screen mode” as in Windows 8 edition.

Also Virtual desktop comes in Windows 10 same as you find in Linux/Ubuntu.
Great feature when working in Cubase. Imagine to switch between virtual desktop and put all VSTI on its own virtual desktop. :bulb:

Best regards
Freddie

As I see we have gone into an “I’m more into IT than thou…” (without any clues) I get out. You’re the experts. :laughing: (topic says “discussion” not assassination)
(not you Freddie)

More like, its all got a little a little hot in here since we can’t stay on the attack without impunity any more , so lets shift it to getting all giddy about a 3rd party company developing transparency for Win 10, - http://www.glass8.eu - because after all that is so important in the greater scheme of things.

:unamused:

Duh!? “stay on the attack…” ?! If one “attacks” it helps to actually have some weapons. :laughing:

In this business, qualifications don’t matter; it’s the work that you actually do.

I don’t see any qualifications listed in the signatures of the supposed “attackers” so respectfully one should stand down.

As stated earlier, no one has as of yet questioned which dependencies (or screen elements) actually require an Aero theme to operate and by extension, whether there is a mechanism inside Cubase to use a duller theme.

Priceless, something seems to be getting lost in translation because you are one of the attackers I am referring , and I am still waiting on some quantifiable data on the performance advantages of Aero under Win7 , or is that also a little too hard. We can compare resumes after that, but if it helps , the DAWbench work that was cited earlier is mine :slight_smile:

As stated earlier, no one has as of yet questioned which dependencies (or screen elements) actually require an Aero theme to operate and by extension, whether there is a mechanism inside Cubase to use a duller theme.

You can strip back Aero too look essentially identical to Basic aesthetically , however Basic does not support the menu’s being placed in the top bar which is a requirement for Cubase 8. That is a specific design decision by the developers that I have not seen in any other DAW or media application , and it is one reason that Basic / Classic cannot be used.

Of course there may be more to it than that , lots of work on the GUI as evidenced by all of the individual elements of the application now able to be moved outside of the application box ( so to speak ) , but whether they specifically require WDDM is the real question, because if they do not, then the enforced Aero is simply for the top menu.

The above is not something anyone here can comment on, it needs direct input from the actual developers, so take that as rhetorical.

Fixed Typo

I’d say you are correct about the Top Menus, that would likely be the most probable reason and not any other situation.

Elements being able to be moved outside of the application window would probably not be a problem; as ASIO is the layer running atop of the MMCSS, which is why Cubase is so solid on systems post XP (with the exception of early incarnations of Vista).

I personally think that Cubase should have new modes that can either call up a particular desktop theme or otherwise a preference exists for a minimalist UI but then the issue would be 2 settings (one in the OS and another in the application).

The pragmatic solution of course should be that Cubase detects which theme is currently being used and adjusts its’ screen elements accordingly before instancing its’ own UI and if the theme changes midway provide for upscale of the UI in order to retain visual elements as designated during runtime of the original graphic library. If a lower intensity theme is used such as Classic or Basic, then downscale UI elements.

IT would be nice to see some pictures of these top menus to better explain the situation.

Cheers

Now I see:

https://insider.windows.com/

So any info on the Virtual Desktops?

Also can these Metro apps run in a restored window as regular desktop programs and is that the intention?

I am about to test Win10 with VirtualBox so I will hopefully report back soon (in a new thread).

Cheers

You can strip back Aero too look essentially identical to Basic aesthetically , however Basic does not support the menu’s being placed in the top bar which is a requirement for Cubase 8. That is a specific design decision by the developers that I have not seen in any other DAW or media application , and it is one reason that Basic / Classic cannot be used.

And there you have an issue which would seemingly need to be reported in the Issues section, if it isn’t already. At least you might get an explanation / confirmation or acknowledgement of the situation. Maybe even a fix in the next version. They don’t know if you don’t tell them. At least that’s what my planet sized knowledge of IT tells me. (it’s a small planet) :laughing: but enough.