POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

So this is the end of the road?!

I have had this problem for 4 versions, and still in 6.5.1 it occurs.

I have tried every suggestion in 18 pages of thread, and none of them resolved it (including the one which involved unticking every single plugin one by one which took me forever)…

This is a joke!

I’ve opened a support ticket, and was comforted to read that Steinberg likes to close the support tickets immediately for this issue.

Come ON!

At least I seem to only get a hang every now and then. It’s the bug where it reports the error each time that is driving me nuts.
So the only possible fix I can find anywhere by the way (for those who are really sick of this problem) is:

Start
Run
services.msc
find Windows Error Reporting
Disable it

This won’t fix the hang, but it does fix the error report.

I’ve had trouble with this for years… Just installed the latest Automap beta (4.4b4) and rewrapped all my plugs. Closed perfectly 3-4 times. Perhaps we have a winner…? :smiley:

I’m running the same beta and mine still crashes.

I’ve found the problem! Not only that, I’ve resolved it. Interestingly, hundreds and hundreds of forum posts on Steinberg’s and Novation’s forums have not resolved this issue for users. It has not been posted as a solution even once.

When I uninstall Novation Automap (any version, including the new Automap 4.4 beta 4) the problem persists… however when I manually delete all of the wrapped plugins pluginname.dll manually by going through and deleting them from both the 64bit VST folders, and 32bit VST folders, the problem goes away entirely.

Now this solution isn’t very helpful if it stops users from using Automap which is essential for the Novation control surface range.

So what you can do then is go ahead and reinstall the Automap 4.4 beta 4, and it re-registers all of the wrapping around your plugins and creates new pluginname.dll files.

Load Cubase again, and it works perfectly.

It’s easy then to cause the problem to occur once again. If you install a new plugin, and re-wrap using Automap 4 setup, it causes the issue to occur. So to fix it once again, you simply go through the steps with Automap above again.

I’ve tested it over and over, and it works every time.

I hope this helps you to help others with similar problems. I know that the ZeRO SL MkII is very popular with Cubase users.

Wait a minute…if i don’t have automap installed, and Cubase hangs on exit, how is automap the problem? Please explain…

Automap isn’t the problem. It’s just one of many drivers and device connections that I suspect can contribute to Cubase exiting before properly completing it’s disconnects - at least that’s my theory based on how this problem behaves here, and from what I’ve read on this thread.

Closing Cubase and the project simultaneously (ctrl-q with the project still open) results in a hang about 60-75% of the time. Closing the project (ctrl-w), waiting for it to close channels, Eucon, etc, then waiting 4-5 seconds before closing the application via the window’s “x” works pretty much every time. Seems that gives it enough time to disconnect everything - whether that’s the video process, automap, Eucon, drivers, etc - it avoids the problem here.

It probably just depends what Cubase has to close, how long each takes, and whether Cubase gets it right before trying to shut down, and that could vary widely from system to system. Some systems may just have a driver that always hangs, and others may have very little active so Cubase has no problem shutting everything down before it closes it’s main process. Still a Cubase issue.

There is no one problem. It seems to be many things all leading to the same thing: freezing up and/or crashing upon exit.

I submitted a support ticket complete with crash logs. They closed the ticket and said it was a known issue they were working on. I’m really hoping to see this fixed in the next patch, or Cubase 7 at the latest.

Fair enough to the replies with other hardware/software that might be causing Cubase to have the similar problems.

I was just happy that this resolved for me, and now I have a stable install after many many months.

I was also hopeful that my explanation might help others whether they have automap or other VST/hardware that might be wrapping VSTs etc.

Good luck with resolving yours, and fingers crossed Steinberg come up with a more robust solution for all.

I’ve been having this same problem, I did a quick google today, saw this thread and then saw someone mention removing the autowrapped pluggins I had (I’m using Automap 4 for my Novation Zero SL) and bam, problem is solved. Will try to re-wrap my plugins later to see what happens.

@sprbeast I’m confident it will resolve your problem. I’m glad it helped someone else! :slight_smile:

WHOHOOOO!
I done what tabsel said to do,and unwrapped vst3 then rewrapped. not crashing now!
time to get back to makin music.
not that this was stoppin me,but i have tendency to let little things like this distract me!

Two days ago I renewed my chipset drivers for my ASUS board and now Cubase closes properly.

+1 here (but with C5.5.3).
It was working fine on my old installation with Vista 32bit, Cubase 32bit and BFD2 32bit… (almost same hardware, I only replaced the harddisk with Vista by a SSD when switching to Win7, but I did a re-install “from scratch”).

After changing to Win7 64bit, C5.5.3 64bit, BFD2 2.3.1.5 64bit, the problems started…

Already conatacted Fxpansion support and received a beta version which did not solve the problem.

THis is my last chance to avoid selling or giving back my brand new Cubase 6.5.4

first i was afraid of the 64 bit issues between 32 and 6bits4 plug ins. But using C6 without any Vst already caused video problems, made me wait 3 or 5 minutes for each task.

Steinberg asks for minimun requirement, but i think they should ask for maximun requieremet.

i can figure that my i7 with .7200rpm. 6RAM is not enough for the system to work as it should/

Ive installed 4 times and cant get things go better.

Very upset.

Thanks for answering.

Juan Sabato

do u use automap?

Thanks TabSel for suggestion!!
Yes - I did basically the similar, and it solved the issue for me (after more than a year hanging on exit):
In windows file explorer I searched all my VST folders for .dll an .vst3 files with the text “(Automap)” in their name and deleted them.
Then opened Automap and did regular Setup with Cubase 6. Note! - You must go through the whole Automap Sw Setup process - ie. Start and Restart Cubase while still in Automap Setup Process - as per instructions. Do not close the proces earlier.
Cubase 6.0.7 is closing fine now without any hangs!

I also want to confirm that cubase 6.5.4 hangs on exit every time ,i also was with another producer the other day working at his studio and cubase was hanging and sometimes crashing after loading and unloading pluggins.
This is on osx 10.8.2.

are u running automap?

I am running automap 4.5