Possible Bug in 6.02: Latency increase due to VST plugin set

This post relates to the thread started by Early 21 (http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8009) about crackles introduced by the upgrade from Cubase 6.0 or 6.01 to 6.02.

The detective work undertaken by Early21 and by Andi resolved the problem I was facing, which was a hugely increased latency. I’m posting this as a possible bug report because I’m wanting to separate the latency issue from the crackles issue. However, like Early21 and Andi, I believe the problem is due to the Steinberg Multiband compressor vst3 plugin, which I routinely put across my my stereo mix in Cubase. Not the multiband compressor from Cubase 6.0 or Cubase 6.01, just the new multiband compressor introduced with 6.02 (i.e. the new vst3 plug-in set).

To reproduce:

  1. open a new project, add two stereo audio tracks.

  2. Record on one of the stereo audio tracks.

  3. Put the multiband compressor as an insert on the stereo output of Cubase.

  4. add another audio track.

  5. Try to record on this second audio track, not with direct monitoring but monitoring through Cubase.

  6. Result: huge latency (approx half a second on my system).

  7. Workaround: delete the cubase vst3 plug-in set from 6.02, and replace with the vst3 plug-in set from 6.0 or 6.01.

  8. Result: latency problem disappears, all is well again with monitoring through Cubase.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Steve.

Steve, thanks for doing this, was wondering how exactly to make the thread I started into a bug report. I confirm same bug, and would add to it that I get crackles when I turn on multiband compressor where I didn’t have any before, regardless of how low the ASIO meter is.
Early

Hello,

please stay to one topic.

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8009

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I was trying to stay to one topic - latency problem that for me is linked with the vst3 plug-in set introduced with 6.02.

Early21’s thread, which includes the solution to the problem (for me), doesn’t have anything in its title about latency problems. I read the Steinberg guidelines for posting a bug report, and thought it was important to be specific and limited.

Steve.

Hi…i have the same problem here…
i had a session ultra prepared to play live with this multiband compressor on the pre master.
as soon as i updated to 6.02 … i had much latency. Even tweaking the latency values the problem stayed the same.
I do not want (and hope) to reverse the update… how can i effectively resolve this problem? delete what and replace how?

Hi Metallion,

If you read this thread - http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8009

you’ll see that Early21 and Andi solved the problem (at least as far as I’m concerned). It’s a bit difficult if you’ve upgraded from 6.0 or 6.01 to 6.02, but basically you need to take out the ‘vst3 plugin set’ from your 6.02 installation and replace it with the vst3 plugin set from 6.0 or 6.01. You need to install a version of 6.0 or 6.01 in order to do this. Once you’ve done so, you can remove teh vst3 plugin set and place it on your desktop. Upgrade to 6.02, then swap out the vst3 plugin set from 6.02 for the older version on your desktop.

Steve.

I confirm too. This is a bug…

nexis

Edited.

UPDATE FOR 6.5 USERS

For those reaching this thread looking for information about perceived latency increase between Cubase 5/6 and 6.5. - and have found the increase is due to running the Multiband Compressor;

While it’s true that later versions of the VST3 Multiband compressor do add noticeable latency when placed on the main output bus, this can easily be fixed by activating the ‘live’ mode (small button bottom right of the effect’s interface.)

I recently upgraded from Cubase 5 to 6.5 on mac and whatever i did with soundcard buffer etc there was a large latency increase when playing virtual instruments.
Through process of elimination I found that the latency wasn’t actually between my midi controller and the instruments, but was introduced at the output stage on the main stereo output bus.
I had a set of plug-ins as across my output buss as part of my default templates.
Turning off plugin one by one I found (like others) that the Multiband Compressor was the culprit.
Seems the new, more advanced ‘look ahead’ feature built into later versions of the plugin cause the latency.
After forum search found people talking about the ‘Live Mode’.
Tried clicking this button and all latency is reduced to the level I was used to in Cubase 5.