PreSonus FaderPort 2 (2018) midi remote script

The behavior you write is the standard recording mode but I think @InLight-Tone has set the “re-Record” mode

And maybe the midi remote command sent when you press “record” button on Faderport is not the same when you click the “record” button on screen.

Yes Re-Record is what I was referring too. I use it all the time. In fact, I’m positive it worked before with this script.

I tested here those 12 cases:

a- with the Cubase-Button
b- with the PC-Keyboard -Asterisk-Key
c- with the Record-Button on the FaderPort

1- Cubase 12 without Re-Record
2- Cubase 12 with Re-Record
3- Cubase 13 without Re-Record
4- Cubase 13 with Re-Record

Every test here runs as expected, always with a testproject, that has only one empty track.

The FaderPort sends only “Record”, nothing more, what means, that Cubase configures what happens and this is what happens here on my system.

I can’t reproduce InLight-Tones issue. Maybe anyone else?

Hi CKB and all,

thank you for the incredible job and kindness, all of this is so great that I have to add a silly question, is it possible to use the fader to write CC data in the midi editor, like CC1 or similar…? It’s clearly possible as automation but you never know…
All the best
m

1 Like

LluisV
Aug 25

In Mackie mode the fader records automation the same way than with a mouse.
The automation lane stays red while i am touching the fader.

Is there a way to do the same with “midi Remote” mode?

I think I have found the answer to this old question here:

In the Automation Panel you have to change the Automation Mode
from Touch to Auto-Latch.

Not yet, but sometimes there is a (secret) trick for to realize a desired functionality by using the modify value under mouse function; in the Shift Mode of the script, the fader is assigned to this function.

This would be another consideration:
If you do not use the FaderPort with the script, that means only as a midi data source, the FaderPort sends pitch bend data when the fader is moved. I’m not sure, but I think this midi pitch bend data can be converted to midi control change data with the input transformer of Cubase.

1 Like

@CKB
This thread:

may give you a way to try to find a fix of my old complain:
The script do not detect that the fader is touched and the volume automation is not recorded the right way.

Thanks a lot for you kind effort to make this script better and better.
Lluís

1 Like

Hi Lluís,

I had already read the news on this topic.

Previously, the script always recognized whether the fader was being touched, but could not pass this on to Cubase 12, because there was no function for this in the MIDI Remote API of Cubase 12. That’s why Cubase 12 only recognized whether the fader was being touched in MCU Mode.

As I suspected Steinberg has now added a new function to the MIDI Remote API to Cubase 13, with which I can now also pass on information to Cubase 13 via MIDI Remote as to whether the fader is being touched.

I have already extended the script for this, i.e. implemented new code and tested it. Now the volume automation with the fader works completely, of course only with Cubase 13. Under Cubase 12 it remains as before.

You will get these extensions with the next update.

Best regards
CKB :innocent:

3 Likes

When I updated the script to the latest version, I had to enter all my Custom Presets from the custom page again. Is that expected behaviour? And if so, is there a way to save the custom commands before each update?

My knob is very unreliable. It makes sudden big jumps in either direction. It works quite good for scrolling and zooming, but is unusable for EQ, master and pan. I’ve seen others report the same kind of problems, but not for a long time. Is this most likely a hardware issue?

@heggebugg
My faderport had the same issue and it was replaced by a new one.
The knob of the replaced unit runs better but not perfect…
Lluís

Found this thread on the Presonus forum: Encoder erratic, jumping problem - Questions & Answers | PreSonus
Some contact spray seems to make the problem go away! Just remove the knob and apply some contact cleaner. It seems to have done the trick here!

1 Like

Every potentiometer has to be cleaned at some point. That is normal.
It also happens that cleaning is necessary at an early point, as there are models that have the greatest abrasion in the initial phase.

One of the best products for this is Kontakt Chemie TUNER 600:

In the US, the Caig company is my go to, DeoxIT D5 for pots, and for faders, DeoxIT Fader F5. They do not recommend using the D5 pot cleaner for faders - these mechanical parts are consider quite different from each other.

Also, for cleaning faders, there are specific methods. For example: Properly Cleaning Mixing Console Faders - ProSoundWeb

This fader cleaning web page explanation is rather complicated and difficult, but there are good points to consider. For example, compressed air applied first was nothing I have even considered but it makes sense for dusty environments. Just remember, if you use ‘air in a can’ DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN BEFORE USE.

1 Like

Hello Mattia_Carratello,

me too, I would also like to be able to generate clean MIDI data with the Motorfader of the FaderPort, i.e. MIDI PitchBend data, different MIDI Controller data, etc…
Since the request came from you, I thought about it again and did a few tests to see whether this is feasible and whether it can be integrated into the existing script in a user-friendly way.
Yes, it is possible, I am doing it and have already successfully implemented and realized it. This extension will be included in the next update.

The toggle Motorfader functionality will be extended and you will then be able to use the Touch Button (on the Shift Page) to switch between

1. LED blue (previously LED off) = Motor on = bidirectional MIDI remote mode
  2. LED pink = Motor off = unidirectional MIDI remote mode
  3. LED cyan = direct = sending PitchBend data to MIDI tracks

So if a recording is running in Cubase where a MIDI track for to record is selected and the Motorfader functionality is set to direct, you can use the FaderPort as usual and record the movement of the Motorfader as MIDI PitchBend data. This is then clean MIDI data, not automation data.

I have tested that you can set the Input Transformer of the MIDI track in Cubase so that the MIDI PitchBend data can be transformed into any desired MIDI Controller data (cc-1 … cc-127) immediately during recording.

Everything else in the next update.

Best regards
CKB :innocent:

2 Likes

Hi CKB
this is going to be fantastic, thank you so much, cannot wait to use the update. But if you are going to fulfill all our (and my) requests I’ll never stop and you will never stop working on this…
All the best, grazie!
Mattia

1 Like

Hello CKB, I’ve been using the FP2 for over a year and 1/2 with the script. So I know how to implement it but when I load the newly developed script it’s not working for me. I have tried resetting the FP2 back to factory and updating the firmware to v3.74 to no avail. What happens is when I boot the FP2 and then Cubase 13 it does nothing and then when I disable and reenable the script the FP2 just changes the Pan button to yellow and nothing works. I can’t make any other buttons active and the start stop doesn’t work nothing is working can you help?

Hi David,
the last update (only .js-file), that solved problems with Cubase 13, I uploaded here in the forum is from
November, 9

Otherwise you will find a few more steps to solve your problem
in this file (= setup infos for troubleshooting, new version) here:
FaderPort_setup.pdf (117.7 KB)

Just received my new iostation 24c powered on, updated firmware, rebooted and 5 mins later power died. Most upsetting was looking forward to enjoying the script. Hopefully the next one will be better.

Yeah I use this script with the ioStation - it’s great! Sorry to hear yours died instantly.

1 Like