Proper audio engine: Gapless Audio!

It would be nice to know from Steinberg how much of a development effort this would be for them as that would give us some indication if we were likely to see this addressed any time soon. Also, if this is even on their shortlist of issues they are looking into

Has any one seen a reference of Steinberg making any kind of statement regarding this in any other parts of the forum?

1 Like

I thought this happens in all DAWs

Definitely need this fixed

Huge +1

Well, I think it can’t be not on the list. Ok, of course that’s my personal guess.

I don’t use one of the other mentioned DAWs so I have no idea how they manage drop outs to not happen. In my mind it’s clear that the DAW has to compensate for latency and in any case this should work properly any sort of drop out has to happen. A thing I fully understand when I insert a new plugin but not so much when I put tracks into a folder or close the DOP window. Guess there’s much room for improvements.

Been into Cubase since 2001 or 2002, so it’s a mature/‘old’ DAW by now. A lot of progress happened since then - in Cubase as well as in the tremendous power common computers offer today - while the code base was originally made with limitations in mind from digital lightyears back. ‘Younger’ DAWs may suffer less from heritage at the moment but maybe will in the not so far future. Nonetheless I’d love to see improvements in Cubase whereever possible but I expect slow transition into ‘modern times’ to be honest.

Anyway, any limitation that falls feels like a big relieve to me. Just upgraded Win 10 to 1903: happy to never see that FLS limit again :slight_smile:

1 Like

In 2019 it doesn’t, no. I can’t think of any other major DAW I’ve seen or used where it does at this point (though maybe I’m missing one or some). All of the people who work with me here at the studio…well let’s just say that none of them will be buying Cubase when they’re used to things like gapless audio on their DAWs. Steinberg will need to get their audio engine up to par with others if they want to continue luring new buyers, especially young ones who are so used to things being so fast and efficient without stumbling blocks in workflow like pauses and gaps in audio when moving/inserting inserts, changing inputs or outputs, changing routing, etc.

I’m sure they’re working on it – let’s just hope it’s coming in 10.5.

1 Like

AMEN !!!

This is highly annoying. Super annoying. Please fix this asap. No other DAW do this. 30 years old code, blah.

1 Like

the same is for nuendo ,wonder if the cutouts also happen in Dorico,which is relatively new steinberg product

+1
This is super annoying.
Steinberg need to shape up if they want to stay in the game. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

+2

I had a drop out when toggling the Listen Bus on a single track in a relatively basic project. That never happened in any previous Cubase Pro version I’ve used. :frowning:

Audio drops out. In addition, MIDI clock glitches thus any instruments playing parts locked to MIDI clock lose the beat/tempo.

The drop out issues have gotten worse from Pro 8 to Pro 10.

I wonder if there is a difference in plugin load in time between other DAWS and Cubase? Maybe the drop out allows the plugin to load quicker?

But yea, +1,

I’ll send them a crate of beer if they can make it so recording doesn’t stop either.

+1

There isn’t, no. The same VST plugins load in just as fast or even a touch faster in Ableton, Studio One, and Reaper here.

+1 - very annoying when “in the mode” and have an element I want to introduce, to have the sound drop out and interrupt my flow.
Not intuitive or well implemented. Various other DAW engines don’t drop out. You’re behind the times on this Steinberg. It’s time to fix it.

2 Likes

+1

Coming from Ableton I was shocked about this behavior. In Ableton I could record vocals while simultaneously previewing samples in the browser in real time (triggering them like an instrument, which is also not possible in Cubase), then adding them to a new track in the project & adding a chain of plugins all without the vocalist even noticing anything at all. Logic Pro, S1 and FL Studio are pretty much the same and now that even the most cumbersome and un-flexible piece of software (Pro Tools) joined in its clear that Steinberg need to get this problem eliminated.

I posted about this in the “Issues” forum. crickets

1 Like

+1

Getting audio drop-outs, “zit” sound that sounds like a short circuit at times when a track is just selected during playback. Clocks lose synch with almost any or every move.

Here are where I’m getting audio drop-out, glitches and clock drop-out problems (system, drivers and hardware working normally):

During Playback:
Solo/Unsolo Track or Tracks (drop out, timing glitch)
Listen Bus enable/disable for Track or Tracks (drop out, timing glitch)
Mute/Unmute Track or Tracks (drop out, timing glitch)
Move Fader on track during playback (drop out, timing glitch)
Enable/Disable channel strip or other plug-ins (drop out, timing glitch) (impossible to A/B Eq band in/out for example)
Select Track during playback (drop out, timing glitch)

Projects have to be started several times before they playback. It seems the VSTs are not loading correctly. It seems each track has to be, more or less, individually initialized, if you will, before it will play. There’s often a “zit” sound first and then the instrument’s patch plays.

Some of these problems are intermittent but the basic repro is: 1) create or load project, 2) add tracks or play existing, 3) observe drop out/timing glitchs in areas mentioned above.

Cubase always struggled to load plug-ins and instruments during playback. I adopted the workflow of not adding such during playback. However, now, even after loading, the above drop-out and timing glitchs are much worse than ever before. (I started with Pro 8 and have move up with each increment to Pro 10).

As it is now Cubase Pro 10 is not a viable platform for Recording, Producing, Mixing or Playing back music.

RED ALERT.

In the Tape Days, if the machine broke down you rented a new machine (or whatever) while the one was being repaired. What are we supposed to do now?

I hate having to post that this is the situation, but it is. :frowning:

1 Like

+1