Removing instrument numbering?

I’m making both an urtext and performing edition of the Vivaldi “Gloria.” I’ve mostly finished the urtext, and I thought it easiest to make a master score with all the parts displayed and paired up, like so:

• Oboe U (urtext)
  • Oboe P (performing)
  • Trumpet U
  • Tumpet P
    … and so on.

This makes it much easier to see the differences in the two editions, and copy score items over. Then I’m planning to make custom scores for each edition, so all the urtext parts are together on one score and all the performing parts on another.

The problem is that Dorico is helpfully numbering everything. So I’ve got Oboe 1 and Oboe 2, Trumpet 1, Trumpet 2, etc. I know I can add a space after the instrument name to create an “invisible” difference, but I always prefer a proper solution if one exists.

How do I fix this? Do I have the ability to remove the numbering of parts in the score? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

I’ve attached the project if anyone wants to see what I have in mind. The score isn’t done but you can see the setup I’m trying to achieve with the multiple full scores.
Gloria.zip (713 KB)

Dorico will only number the instruments if the names are identical, so if you add an empty space at the beginning of one of the names, the numbers will disappear. Since the staff labels are right aligned, the space won’t mess up the alignment.

1 Like

Thanks andgle! I had seen this solution and was hoping for an actual setting that could be adjusted, but this seems like it wouldn’t cause any problems that I can think of.

I’m just always leery of workarounds. They’ve come back to bite me so many times in the past…

1 Like

Depending on how you need those instruments to behave, you could input one as a solo player and one as a section player, as Dorico does not number instruments being held by different types of players. So for example, if you don’t need one of the Oboes to hold other instruments, you could make it a section player.

Dan, I played a little with your Gloria file and I found another workaround: if you create a player group for U and drag all U players into that group, the automatic numbering of identically named players will happen independently inside and outside the group, i.e. you won’t get Violin 1, 2, 3, and 4, but Violin 1 & 2 in the Urtext orchestra and another Violin 1 & 2 in the Performing orchestra. TBH, I also dislike the spaces trick.
One drawback: the players will be displayed in your Combined Score according to the new grouping. Personally, I wouldn’t mind, it’s just the raw working score anyway, but maybe it disturbs your particular workflow not to have both sopranos next to eachother etc.

By the way, when I dragged individual players into the new group, Dorico crashed. After restarting Dorico, I tried again, now moving all relevant players into the group together after selecting them with cmd-click. This caused no crash. I hereby enclose the crash log, in case the devs might want to have a look. I haven’t investigated further whether the crash could be reproduced.
Dorico 2_2018-07-31-165918_Olympos.crash.zip (22.1 KB)

Thank you Peter. I ended up using the extra space in the name but I might try this other solution next time.

Hey Dan,
I struggled with the same problem.
In this context, another problem came up and I didn’t want to open a new topic.

If you change the order of instruments here:
Screen1.png
is there a way that the new order is adapted here?
Screen1.png

The layout selector in the toolbar lists the layouts in the order in which they are found in the Layouts panel in Setup mode.

another ‘GREAT’ :smiley:

PS: Peer, if you do rearrange the layout order, and if you plan on using the layout number as part of the file name output, make sure to right click in the layout list and choose “Renumber layouts.”

Good help Dan. Thanx !

Thanks Lillie

Thanks @andgle! Very elegant and simple!

I had to look up this topic too. Didn’t know about the ‘invisible space’ trick - it was very useful.

Maybe, in the future we might be able to turn instrument numbering off between different flows? Or even happen automatically?
i.e. Two trumpets in Flow 1 = Trumpet I and Trumpet II.
One trumpet in Flow 2 = Trumpet

1 Like

Is there a better solution to this yet in Dorico 4, rather than the ‘add a space at the beginning of the name’ kludge?

I’ve tried the ‘new group’ method, but that seems to introduce new layout problems that it may or may not be possible to undo.

What’s needed (from my point of view, making layouts in the same project as arrangements for slightly different ensembles) is to be able to turn off the numbering in layouts that don’t require it, and leave it on in those that do.

One thing to be aware of with the “added space” method, which came up recently in another thread, is that it affects what you need to type into the cues popover to input a cue for that instrument.

For having different numbered instruments in each flow, you could have a separate trumpet player, put it in its own group, and have that trumpet in the flows where it’s the only trumpet and not in the flows with the other two trumpets. Then, assign it to the same part layout as say Trumpet 1 so that person sees all the music for Trumpet 1 and Trumpet.

@David_Arditti what layout problems are you encountering when putting a player whose instruments you don’t want to be numbered with other instruments in their own group?

The problems (I meant graphical rather than ‘layout’) are that you immediately start getting unwanted vertical brackets to the left of the new group and the braces to the left of the system get changed. Maybe these effects could be undone, but that’s all extra work. The ‘space’ method seems the simplest. But it’s not ideal since it would need to be undone when working on the layouts where the numbers are wanted. Maybe I’ll try the ‘groups’ method when I have more time to experiment, but this project is already late!

This would be useful for me too. I’m assembling flows that are orchestral excerpts (as examples for a book), and in some works there is only one oboe, or one piano, etc., which I don’t want numbered as “1”. Is my only solution to create a separate non-numbered player, presumably by using the “leading space” trick?