Repeat barlines and meter change

Is this the only way this can look atm? Wouldn’t it better if the meter was inside the repeat barline instead of having these two barlines?

Thanks in advance

Preferably after the barline but before the dots.
Unless there is an option for this somewhere that I can’t find.
The current behaviour doesn’t pin the meaning of the time sig change forwards. This is especially a problem if the other end of the repeat is in a different sig before going back to repeat.

We’re not currently planning any options for this. Dorico handles these situations the way Gould recommends (see pages 233–235) which seem eminently logical to us. We do still need to do some more work in this area in order to handle changes of key, time and clef at the end of a repeated section such that you need to be able to indicate which will be in force when you jump backwards, and this is planned for when we have more comprehensive support for repeat structures.

Finale does it the same way and I’ve lived with that - apart from the odd time I’ve kludged it for clarity. I always wrote them after the line, before the dots by hand, and have never liked the ‘spare’ bar line.

Message received

Has anybody come up with a good work-around to this problem. Consider this example where the last measure in the repeat block is different from the first.

That first 3/4 absolutely belongs INSIDE the repeat block. The brain and eye are trained to look back to the beginning repeat mark, not earlier.

I suppose there ought to be a way to fake this using a text block. Has anybody any reasonable solutions?

I don’t think it is accurate to say Dorico follows Gould’s guidance. She never examines the case I illustrate above, which is a very specific thing. Moreover, she also recommends some cautionary time signatures just to make things very clear. If we could do that with Dorico, then there would be no problem – assuming I could put a cautionary meter change after the repeat sign.

For the case where an ending repeat sign sends you back to a different meter, she shows adding a cautionary meter change immediately before the first ending repeat sign (first example on 235.) That is a sensible solution. Can Dorico do that? Whenever I try to do that, the meter appears AFTER the repeat sign.

So unless I am missing something, Dorico definitely does NOT allow us to follow Gould’s guidance.

(I also notice the first measure of my example has only 3 beats in a 4/4 meter. There is some weirdness in Dorico that occasionally allows me to do that.)

1 Like

Hide the actual time sig, fake time sig with a Playing Technique, fix spacing with Note Spacing tool?

4 Likes