Repeat counts not displaying

All that is selected, but still they are not displaying!

Save the file.
Select a repeat barline and set the repeat count to a number higher than 2.
Open Engraving Options.
Hold the Ctrl key and click Reset to Factory (in the bottom left corner, where Reset to Saved Defaults normally is).
Close the dialog.

Do your repeat markers show, now?

I think it’s actually the result of a different problem. My repeat bars are getting confused - they end up creating an infinite loop (to a point where I can’t even start the piece playing from after a particular repeat bar). Some of the repeat counts show - but not after it gets into this loop problem.

The problem occurs when I have a repeat bar that doesn’t have a specific open repeat to go back to - but only when other repeat bars do exist before it (Hard to explain! For example having a repeat bar near the end of a piece, but the beginning of the piece has a repeat section in it).

Has anyone else encountered this? It is a problem in a few of my projects, because my band uses quite complex repeat sections.

If you end up with an infinite repeat, it means there’s a good chance your human players will get confused when they perform the music, just like Dorico is. I expect you have an end repeat barline without a corresponding start repeat barline somewhere – can you attach one of the troublesome projects so we can take a look and see what’s causing the infinite repeat?

Here is an example (not one of the actual pieces I’m writing, I hasten to add). The alternative is of course to use a DC or DS, but a repeat to me feels a little simpler.

It doesn’t even allow me to click on bar 9 and play from there - it obviously interprets that as an impossible scenario.
alp me.zip (494 KB)

Yup, that’s highly ambiguous. If you need the players to go back to the start after they have played bar 8, you need to add a D.C. marking there. You can hide it, of course, via the Properties panel, if you really prefer confusing your players :slight_smile:

Hello!

I have the same problem, that the repeat-count-marker does not show, see attached image and project.
Any advise would be very appreciated!

I think I have tried all related settings. Even a “reset to factory” doesn’t help.
A workaround with system text is not an option, as I want to display the repeat count at the end of the repeat and system text breaks multi-bar rests.

Jens

Play n times.zip (636 KB)

Does it behave like that in all new projects?
Was it somehow a xml import?
If I create a new project, it works for me, but I couldn’t get it working with your projects at a first glance.

• Yes, it behaves like that in all new projects. (Even in Dorico 3.1 and Dorico 2).
  • It wasn’t an xml import, it was a dorico project made from scratch.

It should display after you go to playback options > repeats and check “play repeats”

1 Like

Das war es, Sascha. Tausend Dank!!!

Da wäre ich nie drauf gekommen. Es werden ja auch mehrere Voltenklammern angezeigt, ohne daß in playback options “play repeats” angewählt ist.

Scheint mir auch ein Bug.

Seems like a bug to me, too.

It’s not a bug, though I can understand why it feels like one. Dorico doesn’t “know” how many times a repeat structure will actually be played unless it calculates the repeats, and it only calculates the repeats if the option in Playback Options is switched on.

I understand. I thought the Communication was the other way around and the text is just a property of the barline.

Where can I find these playback options?

Where can I find the play back options in Dorico 4?

Under the same menu: library > playback options > repeats and check “play repeats”

Thanks, but it seems to be missing in my Dorico 4 (elements). The other problem is that the repeat is not being played either.
I hope that the pictures makes it clear. I have no clue how to get it right. It was still working a couple of days ago.

Regards,
Maarten

Hi Sascha,
I have been looking for the Playback Options in every menu in every mode (Setup, Write, Engrave, Play, Print) and I just can’t find it. Maybe it is somewhere, but I don’t recognise it. I am sure it is not in the Library menu in whatever mode. And not in any other menu in whatever mode.
Can you give me a hint?
The only thing I can find is Playback Techniques, but that has noting to do with Repeat counts.
To summarize the problems I am having:

• repeats are not played, the repeat barlines are ignored when playing back
  • the repeat counts are not shown
    It is illustrated in the screenshot I sent before.
    I hope that you can help me.
    Regards, Maarten

Hi Maarten, just for future reference, it’s generally requested in this forum that you don’t bump threads.

Playback Options isn’t available in Dorico Elements, it’s only in Dorico Pro. You can check what things are available in Elements on this page (Playback Options is under Customization):

If repeats are not playing back in the project, it suggests the formulation of repeats doesn’t line up; it might be that you need to add a start repeat barline at the beginning.

If repeats are still not being played back, you will need to share the project here for someone to investigate further.