Repeated Installation Crash of Library Manager Prevents Upgrade to Cubase 12

Having downloaded and installed the latest Steinberg Download Assistant on my up-to-date Windows 10 PC, I attempted to upgrade to Cubase 12 Pro numerous times, and failed, every time. The software downloaded just fine, but it would not install – either from the “Install” button in the Download Assistant, or directly, from the Windows environment.

Each time, an error dialog announced, “Steinberg Library Manager is not present on this machine. Please install it and try again.”

I had watched the installer for the Download Assistant announce “Updating Steinberg Library Manager”, but perhaps that failed behind the scenes.

In response, I downloaded the Library Manager directly from Steinberg, and attempted to install it, and the installation crashed – every time. It would get to the second dialog box, “Please wait while the installation program is initializing…” and then immediately fail. Nothing got installed.

I tried several things like Safe Mode installs, cleaning out remnants of older versions, etc, but nothing worked.

So, has anyone out there seen and solved this, or do I need to start a problem ticket?

FWIW, same experience here. I get a popup when attempting to install the Library Manager. The session logs indicate application error. Looks like a null object access in the setup. I also purged all references to the Library Manager from regedit as well as any old Halion library manager variables. And, purged the disk of both. No difference.

Both Cubase and Dorico installers check for whether or not the latest Steinberg Library Manager is already installed, and if not they attempt to install it. In my case, it is the library manager installer that crashes consistently, and has since April, preventing both Dorico and Cubase from installing.

Steinberg support admitted to me that others have had this problem, and recently, it is still unsolved as of the date of this reply.

dans ce cas là, quelle est la solution, vous utilisez un autre logiciel que dorico ?

No. I just use an older version of Dorico (3.5) which was installed OK a last year. If your DAW is not too built out with many, many apps, you might try a clean install of Windows. In my case, that is weeks of work. Since I have a workaround, I’m trying to encourage Steinberg, and soon, Microsoft, to figure out what gives.

Bonsoir, toujours pas de résolution pour ma part concernant ce problème.

If you are one of the unlucky few around the world who still cannot upgrade to Cubase 12 or Dorico 4 because of a bug in the Steinberg Library Manager installer’s “setup.exe”, you might be interest in a status report, THIRTEEN MONTHS after I first reported this bug:

As of February 2023, Steinberg US support admitted that the developers believe that they found the source of the crashing installer, and that a fix would be “in a future update to the Steinberg Library Manager – watch for it.”

What has actually transpired since November is reported much more fully in a completely unrelated conversation with Dorico’s Daniel Spreadbury, who shows an inordinate amount of compassion for a user “dead in the water”.

UPDATE. With the intervention of Daniel Spreadbury of the Dorico team, I was able to secure a patched version of the setup.exe file that is part of the Steinberg Library Manager, replacing the 13-month old original currently offered up online. The patched setup.exe did not crash, and the Library Manager successfully installed, allowing me (finally) to upgrade to Cubase 12 and Dorico 4. Effusive thanks were transmitted.

do you have a copy of that file you can share? I am going nuts