Restart VSTAudioEngine3.exe

Yes, I did send to your gmail address, several times.
But anyway, many thanks for splitting things up and uploading here.
Greatly appreciated.
I’ll come back soon

Oh oh, it is exactly as I already feared. It appears that you ran into an eLicenser bug that very few people experienced. It happens only on very few machines, but that does not help you.
So far we could never reproduce the issue and thus not fix it. Additionally, since we soon get rid of the eLicenser technology anyways. There is no point in spending much further energy into fixing the issue.
Do you have your Dorico license on the Soft-eLicenser? Because transferring it to the latest USB-eLicenser type in most cases makes the issue go away. So this could be an alternative for you

Hi ,
can you please send me the link of buying the USB elicence hardware.
attached last image taken by elicence software.

(Image removed by moderator because it contained eLicenser serial number.)

Sure, here is a link to our webshop: USB-eLicenser | Steinberg

But they are quite expensive, around 20$.

And you should consider this: In early 2022 Dorico 4 will come out with a new licensing scheme where (in theory) you don’t need the eLicenser any more. Well, it is still around for legacy support, because it will take some time until all our products can use the new licensing scheme.
If I were you, I’d rather wait for the Dorico 4 release and try that out, rather than spending the 20$ on the USB-eLicenser, but it is your decision. But I hope you get my point.

Hi ,
Just to make sure: Confirm to me there is no software solution to such a problem?
There is no way to have such hardware in decent price?
Will the new license scheme will be the same for all Steinberg?
Thanks

Unfortunately for those users who experience this problem, we have been unable to find a satisfactory solution other than recommending the use of the USB-eLicenser.

The new Steinberg Licensing scheme will eventually be rolled out to all products, yes, but it will be starting with Dorico 4 and then Cubase 12. You can find out more about it here.

Ulf,
Perhaps this is my issue as well. When I try and start the VSTAudioEngine3.exe it fails (maybe I am not starting it correctly).

c:\program files\steinberg\dorico3.5\VSTAudioEngine\VSTAudioEngine3.exe

start the program:

"Application ‘VSTAudioEngine3’ has caused the following error:
Process with the ID NOT found.
–click OK to abort–

VSTAudioEngine3
Version 3.1.1 - Built on Dec 4 2020
“Initializing VSTAudioEngine3”

I also saw an error at one point during theVSTAudioEngine3 attempted start that was about the “elicenser”… I’m trying to reproduce that one so I can be more clear. It was in a window that closed when I closed something else… doh.

…john

Prior to starting the audio engine, in the TaskManager have a look for the process called Synsopos. Is that one around?
If not, try to launch the eLicenser Control Center first, then that one shall launch the Synsopos process. What happens if you then start the audio engine?

Thank you Ulf!

You got it working for me.

…john

Hi ,
No licence found for me . Can you help me please for Dorico 4 ?
Thanks

We need a bit more from you to be able to help, @ehabaziz2001. Can you say a bit more about what you’ve tried so far, and what exactly is going wrong?

@ehabaziz2001 please first read Fail to upgrade from Dorico 3.5 to Dorico 4 - #31 by ebrooks and try again. If that does not help, please come back here.

Hi there, happy new year :). Since a week I’m trying to re-install Dorico 3.5. I had some help over the mail but still it doesn’t turn out to work. Everything (including Halion SE) is installed, but Dorico doesn’t playback and crashes. Attached is the dumpfile. Could someone of you help me out? Best, Valentijn

Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine 3.1.11.23 64bit 2024.1.3 14.25.dmp (390.9 KB)

Hi @Valentijn , welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the dump file, it shows a crash in HALion Sonic SE. You have version 3.4.0 installed.
I suggest you update that one to version 3.5 which hopefully solves that crashing issue. You can download it from here

Hi Ulf, thanks for the quick response. Just downloaded and installed the 3.5 version and restarted. However, still no playback sound in Dorico and the pop up appears telling “HALion Sonic SE: Some audio files are missing. Please check installation.” . Do you know what to do to make it work? Thanks, Valentijn

And all the sound contents files are also installed?
Please start Dorico, create an empty project from solo piano template and then do from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report , and the corresponding zip file attach to a reply here. Thanks

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (224.3 KB)

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (241.8 KB)
Dorico crashed when I wanted to start a new project. But last time it succeed. However still without sounds.

Follow up: I will have a remote session with Valentijn tomorrow morning.

1 Like