Retain Individual Track Pans In Group Track

Any Assistance With This Issue Would Be greatly Appreciated

I Have Two Instrument Tracks Routed To A Single Group Track
I Panned One Instrument Hard Left And The Other Hard Right
When I Play The Group Track The 2 Instruments Play at The Group Track Setting (Default Centered)
How Do I Get The Group Track To Play Them At The Hard Left And Hard Right Settings

I Have Looked Everywhere Including Cubase Manual / Tutorials …
Getting Into the Details > Audio Effects > Send Effects > Setting Pan for the Sends (Cubase Pro only) . It Outlines 3 Steps …

1. Select the “audio” track … I Tried Both The Group Track And One Instrument Track

2. In the track list, click Edit Channel Settings to open the Channel Settings window … Did This

3. On the Sends tab, click Panning. For each send, a pan fader is shown …
    Did This For Group Track, But No Pan Faders Display … Nothing Happens … Am I Missing Something
    Did This For Instrument Track, But Displays A Single Fixed Unmovable Fader (Centered)

I Am Using An iMac Pro Running Catalina With Cubase Pro 10.5

Thanks For Any Suggestions,
Dave

Hey dwebs,

I am making a guess that your group track is mono. Create a stereo group instead and try again.

Thank You Very Much ggmanestraki

My Group Tracks were in Mono, and converting them to stereo provides a Linked Panner which provides a good solution, and I have made the suggested change … thank you

However, now I am wondering what happens if i have say 6 audio tracks panned at different locations across the full spectrum. Is there another Cubase solution which would accommodate that … I seriously doubt it, but am asking anyway. Probably the individual tracks must be managed without a Group Track

Also, is there a way to have individual tracks in a group automatically activate … they did when I clicked one Mono Group track, but I have been unable to replicate the experience, or get it to work on a Stereo Group track

I really appreciate your help

webs

Let’s take it step by step.

It depends on how you’ve set things up.

1. If you have the individual channels of the mixer connect their output to the group, then the panner you see in the mixer controls the pan as it will apply to the group. (which must be at least stereo, so that panners are available.)

2)If you have the individual channels of the mixer send to a group, you can go over to Channel Settings (e symbol)>Send Section>Panning. There you adjust the pan of the sends. If you want the send to have the same panning as the channel, you can right click on it and select “Link Panner”. This will lock the send’s panner to the channel’s panner, so when you change the channel’s panning, the send will follow. This behaviour can be set as a default at Preferences>VST

If by activate you mean highlight, as when we select them, you can make a Link Group. Select the channels, right click, “Link Channels”. Then from the window that pops up, tick “Selection”. From then on, when you select one channel of the Link Group, all channels will be selected.

3 Likes

Thank You Very Much Again ggmanestraki

Sorry to be so late getting back to you , but didn’t have time to pursue it until yesterday. I had read everything I could about it, but was still unsure how to proceed. Your explanation clarified everything !!! I tried all your variations, and they work really well. I believe I now know how to use Panning with the Group Track feature … a big step forward in my quest to mix

Thanks again for taking your valuable time to explain this to a stranger

Dave

1 Like

Does this also work if you use nested groups? that is a guitar group and drum group sent to a instrument group?.

Thank you Mr Zap for your recommendation to try nested groups. I will keep it in mind if I have further issues. For now, I will stick with what I used, because I seldom have use for group tracks, and am not very experienced in using these solutions. Again thanks very much for your kind assistance Mr Zap Dave

Okay I’m having the same issue except changing the group track to stereo doesn’t fix the issue. I’ve changed the output routing on the side chain to stereo out, I’ve created a whole new group channel and made sure it was stereo out, I’ve tried converting the current mono group channel to stereo out by going to Project>Convert Tracks>Mono to Multi-Channel, then having ‘selected tracks’, ‘keep source tracks’, and ‘stereo’ selected. I’ve tried making a bus instead and that didn’t work. Also when I move my fx over from the group channel before deleting the group channel and put them on each panned guitar track, the tracks for some reason have the popping sound at the beginning and end of the events, even though I have fade ins and outs on them that prevented that problem prior to making groups tracks. I feel like I’ve tried everything and am about ready to start ripping my hair out lol. Someone please help!

There’s too much going on here at the same time.

Could you post a screenshot of your mixconsole with the routing rack on screen and expanded so that we see what’s going where?

Are your guitar tracks mono or stereo?

I can show pictures yes, but I’m not sure what you mean by routing rack. Like the sends and inserts instead of the faders? Also yes my guitars tracks are mono, one panned left and the other panned right.

In the mixconsole (F3), on the upper part where the racks are (all the gismos that say inserts, strip, sends, etc.), we need to also have the routing one. If it’s not there, go to the cogs on the right, there’s a list there where you can tick them so that they show.

So you have 2 mono guitar tracks, ok. Do you want to bus these to a group, or do you want to send to a group?

Trying to figure out how to share the picture. Also I guess I don’t know the difference between sending them to a group or bussing them to a group. I just want to have both my guitar tracks in one channel so I can add and change amp sims, compressor, and eq on just the groups track with both of them so I don’t have to do it individually.

[Saved the pic to Dropbox ](https://)

While also being able to have the left panned left and the right panned right

Just drag and drop it here when you’re writing a reply.

Good. So in this case, I would bus those two to a group.

• Select the two tracks.
  • Right click.
  • Add new track → Add Group Channel to Selected Channels. In the window that popped up, make sure the configuration is stereo.
  • Almost done.
  • Now, you go to each guitar track and pan the first one left, the other one right.
  • Go to the Group Track, insert your cab sim insert there.
  • Done.

Personally, I would use different sims for the left and right guitars, to make them juuuuust slightly different. If you want them to sound exactly the same, go ahead and do it in a group, just like above.

Edit: Ok, now I see the picture. There’s a link group on top of the group, that’s why you can’t pan. (Link 5? What’s that, where is it?)

Those are just my rhythm guitars, I do have a different tone for the leads, which are also split left and right. Should I still have a different tone? Also this brings me to my next issue. I created a new group channel, made it stereo, but now if I mute the “Rhythm L” it mutes all of the rhythm guitars. Adjusting the volume or planner on the right side doesn’t do anything.

The link group is spoiling all your fun. It has linked the two tracks together, so when you pan one right, the other goes right too. When you mute one, the other mutes too. Select the two channels in the mixconsole, right click and Unlink them. Then you can do what I offered above and see where it goes.

You are able to pan. But if you linked them when they were centered, they will both pan towards the same side.

Okay so if I solo the rhythm right channel it just mutes both tracks all together even though I’ve unlinked them. If I solo the rhythm left, the guitars come back. The panners have at least showed up, but it’s as if both guitars or only playing through the rhythm L channel. Also if I pan the Rhythm L channel all the way to the right, the guitars don’t play at all.

Do you have a new screenshot? Grab it with Windows Key+Shift+S, then Ctrl+V it here.

When you solo the “Rhythm Bus”. do both Rhythm L and Rhythm R solo with it?

Okay so yes when I solo the Rhythm Bus it solos both Rhythm L and R Channels. But if I mute the Rhythm L it mutes both guitars. Like I can’t monitor just the Rhythm R.

Ok, you know what, save the project with a different name, and restart Cubase. Maybe we’ve hit a glitch when we unlinked the channels. Let’s see if it will behave after the restart.