Retrospective Record Issues On-Going

Since Cubase 7.5.30 (and continuing into Cubase 8.x.x) I have had numerous problems with Retrospective Record. Prior to Cubase 7.5.30, I never once had issues with Retrospective Record (back to Cubase 4). I can’t post a list on how to reproduce this as it happens randomly. I’m wondering if trying to reproduce this by simply loading a blank template and going at it may not be the correct way to test this as I have a big template with over 1000 tracks and am using VE Pro for all my software instruments.

70% of the time it works as should, but the other 30% of the time (when it doesn’t work) I am not doing anything different. I have tried using different MIDI interfaces and cables yet this still happens. However, I am not ruling out that it is a hardware problem on my end. In fact, that would make this easier on everybody if it was. That being said though, I haven’t changed my hardware for years, and like I mentioned above, I never had this issue until Cubase 7.5.30.

I am attaching some screenshots of the key editor and what happens when I hit Retrospective Record. You can see how my performance is captured fully, but the regions cut short to only the end of the MIDI. So I’m forced to drag-left that MIDI region to display my performance. Also, when this issue happens you can see how Cubase is inserting at the end of the performance single MIDI controller values in the controller lanes of what I am assuming is the MIDI controller value I started with prior to the Retrospective Recording.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!
Cubase Retro Record 3.png
Cubase Retro Record 2.png
Cubase Retro Record 1.png

Same issue here…seems totally random. My template is gigantic as well…about 2000 tracks. Wish they would fix it, but without “repro” steps I am not that hopeful that they will address this any time soon.

Yeah, I understand it’s difficult to fix without being able to reproduce the steps. I have no knowledge about writing software coding, but maybe a possible start is to look and see if something has been changed in the Retrospective code between versions C7.5.20 and C7.5.30?

Another screenshot below:

I mean, look at this—that’s a lot of a performance missed only for Cubase to have one MIDI controller value visible.
Cubase Retro Record 4.png

I am still having this issue in Cubase 8.5. I really hope Steinberg fixes this soon. I still don’t understand why something that once worked perfectly now does not.

The closest thing I’ve found to reproducing this Retrospective Rec bug is:

  • Play something on the keyboard while the project is playing.
  • Hit “Restart From Last Stop Position” before stopping to go back to where you started (I have it as Enter on the num-pad, which i think is default).
  • Do this once or twice…
  • Then do it again except hit the command for “Retrospective Record”

Sometimes it captures the MIDI fine, but most of the time it does not. The attached image shows what happens to me about 90% of the time throughout the day.

I feel this is to point of absurdity. Like I said previously, the last version Retrospective Record worked properly was Cubase 7.5.20. That means there has been SEVERAL updates since then and not one has fixed this issue.
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 4.20.13 PM.png

I don’t know if it’s the same problem. I’m on Cubase pro 11 right now and I noticed the problem from 8.5 and still persists.

Sometimes I play something and hit retrospective record, I only get a small empty midi block. It happens randomly.