Reverb settings

Hi there. I’m trying to add some reverb to my baritone saxophone recording.
As a novice in this area, I’ve tried REVelation, RoomWorks, and RoomWorks SE, but I’m not sure what constitutes a good, natural-sounding reverb (avoiding anything over-the-top).

Is one of these three plug-ins better suited for saxophone, and what settings would give me “standard” or “reasonable” results to get started?

Thanks in advance (Cubase Artist 13)

If you have REVerence, I’d use that. REVelation is also OK, but I don’t think you can use arbitrary impulse response files with it. The IR file captures (and lets you recreate) the acoustic response of a particular environment.

If you’re adding the reverb as an insert on the track (as opposed to using a send to an FX channel), the main thing you’ll need to do to get something natural-sounding is to reduce the wet/dry mix level (way) down from the default of 100%. I’d start with 0% and bring it up gradually while the track is playing.

What you should do with the other settings depends on what effect you’re trying to achieve. It would help for you to use some recording(s) you like as a reference and try to match them. When you’re learning how the other settings affect the sound, it’s helpful to have the mix set back at 100%.

I’d say there’s no single answer to this question without knowing what you’re aiming for, or the style of the music, the tempo, whether the arrangement is “busy” or sparse… &tc.
Sparse and slow I’d use a half second+ reverb, fairly noticeable in the mix.
Fast and busy, short and light.

I go with REVelation, to start.
Put it on an FX track and use EQ to remove the low frequencies, up to as much as up to 500Hz. Maybe shave off some of the highs, too (above 7KHz.

I didn’t think Artist came with that. If it does, I’d use that.

Thanks and yes, REVerence is not included with Artist :slightly_smiling_face:

In almost all cases I believe “Less is More”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve added reverb to something and then come back to listen to it a day or two later and wonder what was I thinking, that instrument sounds like it’s swimming in reverb.

This is where preference comes in to play - some like a mix to be bone dry, I like a mix to be drowning. Almost.

Another important consideration is what kind of space do you envision the performance occurring in.

A sax playing in a living room, a small club or an arena will all sound quite different from each other.

The amount of reverb also contributes to where the player is perceived to be located within that space. Less reverb makes the sound appear closer and more reverb further away.