Ripple Edit - for Events and Ranges (voice overs, composing, film e.g.)

Having a true Ripple Edit in Cubase / Nuendo would be a huge win for those of us using Cubendo for voice (audio books, voice overs, podcasts, film etc.)

Ripple Editing allows for a convenient way to rearrange sections of a song and maintain the sync relationships without leaving unintended gaps between the clips. When adjusting the position of a clip in the Track view, than Cubase automatically adjust the start position of all subsequent clips to compensate for the change. You can choose to ripple edit just the selection, or all tracks plus meter/key changes, tempo changes, and markers.

A very fast way to rearrange Events and Markers and multiple tracks etc. together… :exclamation:

How “Ripple Edit” works in Reaper:

note: Wavelab has this feature since years also !

:bulb:

Supplement:

See this nice GIF animation from “ChrisPolus”: (thank you Chris!)

“1) No ripple edit. 2) Ripple editing for one track. 3) Ripple editing for multiple tracks.
Notice how it only moves the selected clip and all clips AFTER it. No chopping up clips.”

:bulb:

!

6 Likes

Most IMPORTANT point for me is that when i cut and delete audio events, then the markers stick to the audio positions!

+1

+1

+1

+1

Very useful.

Note: it must be visually very clear when Ripple Edit is activated (and in what mode), to not cause havoc when “rippling” is not wanted.

Big, big +1 for this please…

Here’s a nice little article about Ripple Edit and why you would like to use it:

This is so hugely necessary in Cubase – it’s highly important for so many practical reasons and is in most other pro DAWs for a very, very good reason.

+10000

+1 this and the smart tool would be golden

+1
Looks great … but the part you’re moving should determine where all of it snaps as well, right?

A very important note is that when having it ripple all tracks or multiple tracks, it should also move all of the automation data on every kind of track including Groups, Auxes, etc. This is another reason that Ripple Edit is so hugely useful in these other DAWs.

2 Likes

Amen!! The range functions feels like a workaround for not having something like this (though it’s not bad at all if you know the right macros/key commands).

Oh yes!
Been longing for this for years, I use it in Vegas pro all the time, it’s such a brilliant timesaver! In Vegas, you have the options to decide what tracks or markers move with the main move when ripple is on. Brilliant. I never understood why Cubase can’t do that.

Very cool feature IMO

+1

+1!!!

+1 I was at a friend’s place last night on Reaper and saw this in action. It would be a game changer with editing.

+1
Yes, please.